Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sunsetter Direct Drive...Good Crossover Boat?

Baindar

I have been looking at purchasing a 2002 Sunsetter Direct Drive.  It has 500 hours on it with 100 hours on a new Mer Cruiser motor.  I am looking for a good family boat that will be good for recreational slalom skiing and good wake surfing.  There is no ballast or a wedge, however, the purchase price is such that I would consider adding both if I could keep under $1,000.  The "pleasure lounge" as Malibu calls it looks a little funky, but seems spacious.  Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on these boats in general and the surf and slalom wakes.  Everything I have read about surf wakes says stay away from direct drives, however, some pictures of DD Sunsetters had some pretty decent wakes.  Also curious about fit and finish.  Pictures of interior look OK and being a Malibu I am sure the quality is there, but curious to see how others owners interiors have held up and if the "Pleasure Lounge" works or is gimmick and to keep looking for a v-drive.  Thanks!

Those are fine boats.  Would look for seam splitting on upholstery.  Good slalom boat.  Surfing can be done, but it's going to take a LOT of bags to make it a good wake.  I have that same hull in a V and it works well for surfing... with an engine back there.  :)

$1000 isn't going to get you a wedge and even a crappy ballast setup.  For what you are looking for, you want a V-drive.  I am guessing from your comments a V-drive is not in your budget.

• Like 2

I have an '00 sunsetter and have given up surfing after 3 seasons of seriously trying. I love my Bu but unless skiing is your primary thing then get a v-drive.

I'd also want to get the full story on an engine replacement at 400 hours.  If it was due to lack of maintenance/abuse, I'd be worried about other items that may not have been taken care of.  

Thanks everybody.  I guess its back to the drawing board for V-Drive.  Budget is around $25-30K.  Any suggestions for good cross over Malibu v-drives in that price range.

Similar setup to our iRide. You're never going to get a wave that rivals a bagged v-drive but you still get a solid wave if you add the right ballast and some type of wake shaper/suck-gate. We're running 1100lbs in rear locker, 550lbs MLS center and 400lbs under bow filler cushion and haven't sacrificed much if any space in the boat, rear locker excluded. 

IMG_0023_PNG.jpg

5 hours ago, Baindar said:

Thanks everybody.  I guess its back to the drawing board for V-Drive.  Budget is around $25-30K.  Any suggestions for good cross over Malibu v-drives in that price range.

You need a 2001 Sunsetter VLX or 2002 - 2004 Sunscape 21 LSV.  All are on the SV23 Diamond hull.  This is what you want.  Then add ballast - lots of ballast.

1 hour ago, Tags said:

Similar setup to our iRide. You're never going to get a wave that rivals a bagged v-drive but you still get a solid wave if you add the right ballast and some type of wake shaper/suck-gate. We're running 1100lbs in rear locker, 550lbs MLS center and 400lbs under bow filler cushion and haven't sacrificed much if any space in the boat, rear locker excluded. 

Hey, sorry to hijack. What bow sack did you get to fit under the seats?

Just now, BusterSaunders said:

He is dreaming of getting 400lbs under the bow filler cushion unless it is lead.  You would be lucky to get 100lbs of water weight under the bow filler cushion. 

For under the bow seats, you need the Fly High W711:  https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html

It won't fill to 650lbs.  Figure on about 300.  Fits well under the seats.  You will hear it start to drip out the vent right before it starts lifting the cushions. 

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

He is dreaming of getting 400lbs under the bow filler cushion unless it is lead.  You would be lucky to get 100lbs of water weight under the bow filler cushion. 

For under the bow seats, you need the Fly High W711:  https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html

It won't fill to 650lbs.  Figure on about 300.  Fits well under the seats.  You will hear it start to drip out the vent right before it starts lifting the cushions. 

Awesome, Yeah i bet i could cram that in there and get it half full

Just now, BusterSaunders said:

Awesome, Yeah i bet i could cram that in there and get it half full

Don't you dare install it without venting it.  That bag could do some serious damage up there without a vent.  It is the bag you need.  I wish they made a slightly smaller version.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

apologies for the delay in responding.....as Nitrousbird pointed out i was fast asleep dreaming. I don't recall the bag make but i'll check. The dimensions were approximately 60" long, 16" wide, 10" high. The section under the filler cushion is approx 45" long, 13" wide, 10" high. I think it was either a 375lb bag or 400lbs. It sticks out the past the cushion by 10-15 inches but it doesn't make it any harder to get in and out of the bow. The bag probably fills to about 85-90% of capacity so it might not be 400lbs.....maybe 350lbs or close to it. I sincerely apologize if the wildly estimated amount of 400lbs has impacted anyone's life.

• Like 2