Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Holy crap used boat prices...

goodmatt78

2 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

2008 LSV for under $30k. Not much info, selling "as is." Does that mean in working order, just rough cosmetic shape?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-MALIBU-23-LSV-for-sale-SAN-ANGELO-Texas-62863.aspx

It is a dealership, so the 'as is' definitely is another word for 'buyer beware'.   There is some gunk on top of the engine cover,  and they couldn't take the effort to vaccum the carpet, so that boat is definitely one to have a full knowledge of what it needs before buying.  

4 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

2008 LSV for under $30k. Not much info, selling "as is." Does that mean in working order, just rough cosmetic shape?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-MALIBU-23-LSV-for-sale-SAN-ANGELO-Texas-62863.aspx

1 hour ago, asp13 said:

Wasn't someone on here looking at buying that LSV? I thought I saw it in an earlier thread?

Yep

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

It is a dealership, so the 'as is' definitely is another word for 'buyer beware'.   There is some gunk on top of the engine cover,  and they couldn't take the effort to vaccum the carpet, so that boat is definitely one to have a full knowledge of what it needs before buying.  

The old thread on this boat from the member that went and checked it out: http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/62635-2008-wakesetter-lsv-fixer-upper-anyone-familiar-with-this-boat/#comment-961071

it has issues for sure...

Edited by MikeDe
  • Like 1
On 3/11/2017 at 10:48 AM, goodmatt78 said:

I just paid 23k for my 05 vlx with all available options and 225hrs.   The condition is very good...not excellent and I have about $300 bucks and quite a few hours in getting it setup my way.   It was listed for 30k.   I did drive 9hrs to pick it up, but I'm very happy as long as it doesn't sink in spring. :)

That's a great deal. Mine was 26 last year and I have more hours. You could sell it for 30-35 if you had it surf ready come spring. 

I don't know about your guys areas but around here boats are becoming scarce on Craigslist.  Any Vdrive with a decent price that pops up is gone quickly.  The only other ones that remain are either the ones most can't afford or the seller is asking 40k for a 2004.  Worse is how many are trying to get on my lake, man I hope the owner doesn't let just a gaggle of people in.  

Edited by racer808
57 minutes ago, racer808 said:

I don't know about your guys areas but around here boats are becoming scarce on Craigslist.  Any Vdrive with a decent price that pops up is gone quickly.  The only other ones that remain are either the ones most can't afford or the seller is asking 40k for a 2004.  Worse is how many are trying to get on my lake, man I hope the owner doesn't let just a gaggle of people in.  

Happened on my lake. I got a bunch of rednecks with 20 year mortgages on NXT's and supras. Maybe two other boats have anyone that can go ropeless. But they sure love makin waves!

these are the kind of lovely people that yell at their kids for "not getting up" and then refuse your help, a free wake shaper, and your offer of borrowing a kids board.  

For the folks that only look at a monthly payment the used boat prices are getting more folks into dealers it seems. 

31 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Happened on my lake. I got a bunch of rednecks with 20 year mortgages on NXT's and supras. Maybe two other boats have anyone that can go ropeless. But they sure love makin waves!

these are the kind of lovely people that yell at their kids for "not getting up" and then refuse your help, a free wake shaper, and your offer of borrowing a kids board.  

For the folks that only look at a monthly payment the used boat prices are getting more folks into dealers it seems. 

Yeah we watched it all day long when we had to return to public lakes.  One lucky thing is they fall so quick there's not too much wake.  But there's still a bunch of us that can surf & we make some good wake.  

On 3/12/2017 at 6:01 PM, MikeDe said:

I'm not going to call BS, but it's definitely the price of the year if that's what he paid.

Just have to find the right deal.  I paid $40K for my 2006 24/7 with 180 hours on it a year ago.

I think the bank loans are the biggest reason for the prices to go up, similar to the housing market crash in 2008 in the US. People are getting these 15 and 20 year loans on boats which make the boats affordable on a monthly payment plan for those that do not have the cash. I think you will see the prices hit a plateau over the next couple of years, but the used boat market has been insane over the last 4 years because of this. I really wanted a good wake board boat last spring and could not force myself to pay the 40 to 50K for a 10 year old used boat without all of the new technology, so I paid for the new boat, gambling that the resale would stay higher on the new boat over the next 15 years. I feel like the boats are only getting more technologically advanced at this point and this will plateau as well. I mean really, look at these boats! How could they get much better looking? As long as the technology is there the resale should stay really high. Think about cell phones over the past 5 years, they are not really changing much anymore, well at least not compared to how they changed over the last 10 years (Flip phone to touch screen.. Camera and video recording capabilities).

I love my 2014 Malibu 24 MXZ, I know that for sure! Cheers to Spring and summer! Be safe!

• Like 1
On 3/25/2017 at 11:05 AM, 95echelon said:

I got a bunch of rednecks with 20 year mortgages on NXT's and supras. Maybe two other boats have anyone that can go ropeless. But they sure love makin waves!

Aggressive....  Maybe how some new users get into the sport.  (Like me and my family!)

On 3/13/2017 at 10:25 AM, goodmatt78 said:

When I was at the Cleveland Boat Show, I was astounded by the new prices.  I couldn't believe the Nautique I was standing on was stickered at $209K, but "Show price" of around 150K.   Then, I was even more shocked when it showed the monthly payment of under $700/month.   That was the first time I understood how so many people are buying new boats.

So, then my argument is how does this hold up the "Almost New" market?  There is no way you can get remotely the same financing on a 1-2 year old boat as new....so, why would you not buy new?

Same.  The wife and I looked at the options/brands for hours.  Really like the Malibu and the dealer seemed very helpful.  

i think financing is more based around principal than model year.  I like the "slightly used" market.

23 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Aggressive....  Maybe how some new users get into the sport.  (Like me and my family!)

Do you and your family yell at 5 year olds for hours because they cant get up on a 5 foot long board? Do you refuse the offer of borrowing a kids board for the weekend angrily? Do you surf 50 feet from people's docks and try to get surfing banned for the entire lake? Do you get totally wasted around your children and get dragged off by the water patrol? Do you go full throttle in a bay full of 80 boats after the fireworks end in complete darkness?

These folks weren't country or even $40,000 lifted truck with the stars and bars + a cab full of empty bud lights kind of red neck. They are full on meth fueled idiots who probably got grandma to co-sign on a boat that will be repossessed the second it needs it's first repair. They have complete disregard of common decency and the rules of the water. They blare s***ty music on HLCD tower speakers at 8am... I'm just guessing here but you probably ain't these folks.

Did I mention that allowing two year round trailer parks on one lake is a terrible idea? Because it is.

So the fact is that these boats which were once saved for, bought, and cherished for decades are now being ridden into the ground by anyone who can cough up $400 a month. The mortgaged boats severely inflate the used market, and they seem to attract a disproportionate number of wallys.

Ahh i'm probably just jelly.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg64uezOdH9DwYVKEFYjq

• Like 2

The new boat prices are definitely driving the used boat market, but the new boat market has had two major evolutions.  The first was the explosion of wakeboarding and the second was the explosion of surfing.  Both of these developments greatly increased the demand for inboards and it also changed them from boats only hard core skiers/three-eventers wanted into legitimate family boats.

I bought my first boat (1994 MC 205) in 2003 for $10k, I sold it about 2 years later for $14k.  I bought my 99 MC 205V for $20k, had it for almost 11 years and sold it for $16.5k.  I thought that the boat would  have fetched a little more, but I was still happy ($318/year to own the boat ain't too bad).   I bought an 08 VLX with high hours but well maintained a year ago for upper 30's.  Truth be told, it was more than I was comfortable spending but I didn't think I was going to find what I was looking for for the price I wanted, so I jumped on this one.

How do you guys think the actual prices compare to blue book/NADA?  I bought a '98 Response LX last year, for a lot less than the money most of you are talking, in really nice shape but with hours on it.  It came in right about average blue book (maybe a few hun less).  I think used true ski boats are not any where near the prices you guys are talking, because of the wakeboard and surf movements.  Also, an older ski boat, with an awesome wake for slalom and great pulling characteristics, even if equipped with speed control, is held back from the true competitive skier because you can't install Zero Off, which is the new standard.  Not a big deal to me, and getting into a good ski boat for less than half of most of the prices discussed here was the only way we could do it.  

If I am going to go ski at a true comp lake, I will be behind someone's much more expensive Zero Off Malibu TXi or something anyway. ;) 

But just was curious how accurate in terms of real sales prices the NADA etc. was these days.

Edited by sunvalleylaw
29 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

But just was curious how accurate in terms of real sales prices the NADA etc. was these days.

Just ran my boat and NADA is much closer to current value than it was when I bought 7+ years ago. It's around 10.5k right now. My exact boat other than color (mine's white/red/grey and this one was tan/burgundy/blue) sold for 2k more than that last fall after the season.

When I bought there was not a single specimen in the country for less than 10k from Feb. to Oct. and believe it or not NADA's value was 4-5k back then. I finally found one and bought it the day after Thanksgiving after pushing ice away from the boat launch for the test drive. I did not take NADA into consideration, nor did I use it as an arguing point. The boat is worth what they are actually selling for at the time. No other way but to search them and use your internet smarts to figure it out. i.e. condition, ad verbiage, scams, convenient photo angles, etc. Once you look at enough ads it becomes easier to figure out, as with anything.

Edited by jk13
3 hours ago, jk13 said:

Just ran my boat and NADA is much closer to current value than it was when I bought 7+ years ago. It's around 10.5k right now. My exact boat other than color (mine's white/red/grey and this one was tan/burgundy/blue) sold for 2k more than that last fall after the season.

When I bought there was not a single specimen in the country for less than 10k from Feb. to Oct. and believe it or not NADA's value was 4-5k back then. I finally found one and bought it the day after Thanksgiving after pushing ice away from the boat launch for the test drive. I did not take NADA into consideration, nor did I use it as an arguing point. The boat is worth what they are actually selling for at the time. No other way but to search them and use your internet smarts to figure it out. i.e. condition, ad verbiage, scams, convenient photo angles, etc. Once you look at enough ads it becomes easier to figure out, as with anything.

Yeah, that was how I viewed it.  This '98 Response LX had plenty of hours, but was a one owner boat living a mile from the dealership it came from with a very meticulous owner. And at 12k was less than almost any other similar (and similar age and hull.  I wanted the 98 and forward) Response out there, based on national searches via all the online sources I could find, other than really beat up older ones, most of those with wood stringers still.  And I wasn't going to do wood stringers. And as I say, I wanted a Response open bow, 98 and forward. Still was a lot of dough for me, coming from an old outboard.  Oh, and this one was within reasonable driving range and was on the route of where we were going to be anyway for a family trip.  So no transport costs from Texas or Tennessee or wherever.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
On 3/30/2017 at 4:07 PM, 95echelon said:

... They blare s***ty music on HLCD tower speakers at 8am...

This post made me laugh. My friend and I were just discussing people playing music at inappropriate times at inappropriate decibel levels. He dropped the "maybe if the music didn't suck so much, I wouldn't mind it" line on me and I laughed at him.

How about we all just agree to keep our music to ourselves and have some respect.

One man's sonata is another man's fingernails-on a-chalkboard.

But shouldn't we blare the music at 7 am if the lakefront owner, and his wife, is an a-hole? And we are trying to get them to move? And getting psychd to ski. :)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ski40mph said:

But shouldn't we blare the music at 7 am if the lakefront owner, and his wife, is an a-hole? And we are trying to get them to move? And getting psychd to ski. :)

As long as your music meets my mediocre standards I guess I'm ok with it.

1 hour ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Yeah, that was how I viewed it.  This boat had plenty of hours, but was a one owner boat living a mile from the dealership it came from with a very meticulous owner, and at 12k was less than almost any other similar (and similar age and hull.  I wanted the 98 and forward) Response out there (based on national searches via all the online sources I could find), other than really beat up older ones, most of those with wood stringers still.  And I wasn't going to do wood stringers. And as I say, I wanted a Response open bow, 98 and forward. Still was a lot of dough for me, coming from an old outboard.  Oh, and this one was within reasonable driving range and was on the route of where we were going to be anyway for a family trip.  So no transport costs from Texas or Tennessee or wherever.  

I searched nationwide all season as well. Unbelievably this one popped up 30 minutes away tucked in a barn behind a bar on the river. Faded and chalky, needed a prop, a cover, and new graphics.

CL ad said "Malibu open bow ski boat" and a price. No pics, no nothing. Got extremely lucky that it turned out to be a newer no-wood boat that was on my short list and I had all winter to put in the hours on it after I got it home.

Edited by jk13
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, jk13 said:

I searched nationwide all season as well. Unbelievably this one popped up 30 minutes away tucked in a barn behind a bar on the river. Faded and chalky, needed a prop, a cover, and new graphics.

CL ad said "Malibu open bow ski boat" and a price. No pics, no nothing. Got extremely lucky that it turned out to be a newer no-wood boat that was on my short list and I had all winter to put in the hours on it after I got it home.

My first Sunsetter deal happened similarly. Looked for a year, in a 500 mile range. Nothing. Then bam, an hour away, there she was. When I went to look at it, the owner made a fist and said "Don't try to F-*** lowball me or we are gonna have an issue".  Previous looker the day before set him off. I bought it. Payed him what he asked. Still own it. GREAT boat.

My current LXi, I looked for a year and a half. 5 hours away. After small negotiation, I paid at the top of NADA suggestion. Right now, they'd have to pry it away from me. I could see upgrading to an LSV at some point in time.

Steve B.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had awesome luck on every inboard I've owned .... and since I know I can't afford new, the used market holding value is just awesome to me.

94' Hydrodyne Legacy - bought for $6k, put on 500 hours, added tower and stereo sold for $8k

95' Nautique Super Sport - Paid $18k for it, put on 450 hours, added tower + ballast + stereo + wake prop sold for $18k

Current: 04' Wakesetter LSV w/ hammerhead - I upgraded ballast and replaced stock speakers with wetsounds. I paid $24k for it with 240 hours, it now has 380 hrs and would think I could get $33k for it before summer hit.  

.... either way, I hope new keeps climbing and the LSV keeps running like a dream.

On 4/5/2017 at 9:48 AM, sunvalleylaw said:

How do you guys think the actual prices compare to blue book/NADA?  I bought a '98 Response LX last year, for a lot less than the money most of you are talking, in really nice shape but with hours on it.  It came in right about average blue book (maybe a few hun less).  I think used true ski boats are not any where near the prices you guys are talking, because of the wakeboard and surf movements.  Also, an older ski boat, with an awesome wake for slalom and great pulling characteristics, even if equipped with speed control, is held back from the true competitive skier because you can't install Zero Off, which is the new standard.  Not a big deal to me, and getting into a good ski boat for less than half of most of the prices discussed here was the only way we could do it.  

If I am going to go ski at a true comp lake, I will be behind someone's much more expensive Zero Off Malibu TXi or something anyway. ;) 

If you are comfortable with it 1000 hours (for some 500+) is the discount point. You can get great deals up there in hours. Had an echelon sold around 2000 hours. Current boat is 1200. Heck my car has 5800 hours on it (but easy hours). 

Its like buying high mileage cars. It's a bit of a gamble but if the service history is there it's worth it and deals can be had.