Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Holy crap used boat prices...

goodmatt78

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, goodmatt78 said:

I just paid 23k for my 05 vlx with all available options and 225hrs.   The condition is very good...not excellent and I have about $300 bucks and quite a few hours in getting it setup my way.   It was listed for 30k.   I did drive 9hrs to pick it up, but I'm very happy as long as it doesn't sink in spring. :)

That's a great deal! I sold my '06 VLX last fall for 46k CAN. Bought is used with 60 hours on it in 2012 for 42k CAN and sold it last September with 295 hours on it for 4K more. Boat was absolutely mint inside and out, with the hammerhead and extra PNP ballast. Always nice when you can turn a profit on a toy, but then you have to turn around and buy something else is when it hurts lol

29 minutes ago, AC4life said:

That's a great deal! I sold my '06 VLX last fall for 46k CAN. Bought is used with 60 hours on it in 2012 for 42k CAN and sold it last September with 295 hours on it for 4K more. Boat was absolutely mint inside and out, with the hammerhead and extra PNP ballast. Always nice when you can turn a profit on a toy, but then you have to turn around and buy something else is when it hurts lol

We have seen great appreciation up here in Canada in the used boat market because of the low Canadian dollar. If our dollar ever goes back to par we will be very backwards in our boats. I have been paid to boat since 2012. Just ordered a 2017 and while it's nice to get more for my old boat than I paid, the 35% extra we are paying up here than our southern friends sure is making the new boats expensive. On the plus side it's very easy to get a new boat purchase pass the wife when you can say, look honey we made money on our old boat. 

• Like 2
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, goodmatt78 said:

I just paid 23k for my 05 vlx with all available options and 225hrs.   The condition is very good...not excellent and I have about $300 bucks and quite a few hours in getting it setup my way.   It was listed for 30k.   I did drive 9hrs to pick it up, but I'm very happy as long as it doesn't sink in spring. :)

I'm calling BS on this one.  Even on a base '05 VLX with those hours, let alone one with "all available option in very good condition." 

39 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'm calling BS on this one.  Even on a base '05 VLX with those hours, let alone one with "all available option in very good condition." 

I'm not going to call BS, but it's definitely the price of the year if that's what he paid.

I just bought a '06 Sunscape for 33k. The interior, exterior and engine looked showroom ready with 525 hours.the tandem axle trailer was of the same quality.  I saw an equivalent boat for 27k from a dealer but the dock rash was staggeringly bad, and interior required a complete makeover. The trailer was junk. I didn't think twice and bought the pampered one with twice as much time on the engine. 

It took a while to realize I was going to pay north of 30k for an 11 year old boat but then I realized the  used aircraft market is no different. It's all about maintenance history and wear and tear. 

I do remember the first time I went into the local mastercraft dealer about 15 years ago. Sticker shock kicked in and the dealer told me it was because it was the price of oil. I had to scratch my head on that one. 

51 minutes ago, LarsJensen said:

I just bought a '06 Sunscape for 33k. The interior, exterior and engine looked showroom ready with 525 hours.the tandem axle trailer was of the same quality.  I saw an equivalent boat for 27k from a dealer but the dock rash was staggeringly bad, and interior required a complete makeover. The trailer was junk. I didn't think twice and bought the pampered one with twice as much time on the engine. 

It took a while to realize I was going to pay north of 30k for an 11 year old boat but then I realized the  used aircraft market is no different. It's all about maintenance history and wear and tear. 

I do remember the first time I went into the local mastercraft dealer about 15 years ago. Sticker shock kicked in and the dealer told me it was because it was the price of oil. I had to scratch my head on that one. 

It is interesting how the price of oil effects other prices.  Around here, the price of a gallon of milk is usually a little less the a gallon of gas.  Currently they are both a little less than $2, but when gas was $4 so was milk. 

Just now, MadMan said:

It is interesting how the price of oil effects other prices.  Around here, the price of a gallon of milk is usually a little less the a gallon of gas.  Currently they are both a little less than $2, but when gas was $4 so was milk. 

I've heard of the Big Mac Index for years. Never heard of a Milk Index but I like it!

but relating to boats, the cost of oil is low right now relatively speaking and sadly, the prices of new boats hasn't followed suit. 

i would say that the new boat market is driving the used prices up. Seriously, i just don't see how the new ones are worth $150k plus. I really can't. 

4 minutes ago, semi said:

i would say that the new boat market is driving the used prices up. Seriously, i just don't see how the new ones are worth $150k plus. I really can't. 

It's a rich mans toy for sure.  For people like me, I switched to MB so I could afford a newer loaded boat & I couldn't be happier.  I don't need a touch screen, heated seats & whatever else they are doing to justify those prices.  I also think my boat is better looking than any of the new boats I have seen, I am just a flashy person.  One complaint about my boat is how loud the engine compartment is, the Malibus I've been on & even some other brands are no where near this noisy.  

When I was at the Cleveland Boat Show, I was astounded by the new prices.  I couldn't believe the Nautique I was standing on was stickered at $209K, but "Show price" of around 150K.   Then, I was even more shocked when it showed the monthly payment of under $700/month.   That was the first time I understood how so many people are buying new boats.

So, then my argument is how does this hold up the "Almost New" market?  There is no way you can get remotely the same financing on a 1-2 year old boat as new....so, why would you not buy new?

38 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

So, then my argument is how does this hold up the "Almost New" market?  There is no way you can get remotely the same financing on a 1-2 year old boat as new....so, why would you not buy new?

If you buy with cash and are willing to shop for a good deal at the right time of year - and perhaps are a bit handy with fixes and mods - then you can get some great deals on used boats.  @LarsJensen and @goodmatt78 seem to have done OK.  I did very well a couple years ago.  My seller had just had a first kid (in his late 40's) and I got a barely used (and dealer maintained) 10 year old boat with a dirty hull and pristine vinyl.  It was docked in the water with a cover on it in a calm place.  Hull was filthy but not a scratch on it.  See through something like that and you've got a deal.

14 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Eh, I bought a 2004 23LSV last year in fantastic shape, ~500hrs and loads of options for $25k.  He doesn't seem too far off.

• Like 2

If you can pay cash and carry boats through the winter, there are deals to be had.  I know someone who picks up boats every winter for spring resale.  Vdrives/direct boats, of course.  

I wanted to buy used, but ended up being pushed to a new boat b/c of used prices (and a great dealer).   If you think new Malibu prices are crazy .. go to a boat show .. 20ft I/Os are 50k starting.  That to me is nuts.  My dealer had a T23 this weekend nicely equipped for mid to upper 60s.  That's a lot of boat by comparison.  

• Like 2

Picked up my 99 VLX for 14500 2.5 years ago.  if i hadnt had to drop 6k to put a new engine in it due to a hose blowing loose and overheating i would still be money ahead even with all my stereo/ballast/PP upgrades. probably could swing 20-25k right now easy

1 hour ago, AJwakedevil said:

2008 LSV for under $30k. Not much info, selling "as is." Does that mean in working order, just rough cosmetic shape?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-MALIBU-23-LSV-for-sale-SAN-ANGELO-Texas-62863.aspx

The only thing "as is" means is that the buyer assumes all the risks of the boat's condition and that there are no binding representations made by the seller as to the boat's condition.  It is the buyer's responsibility to inspect and determine the boat's condition.   The boat can be perfect or salvage.  I have never sold any vehicle of any type regardless of condition other than "as is" because the phrase--for the most part--cuts off the seller's liability to the buyer once the deal closes.   

3 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

The only thing "as is" means is that the buyer assumes all the risks of the boat's condition and that there are no binding representations made by the seller as to the boat's condition.  It is the buyer's responsibility to inspect and determine the boat's condition.   The boat can be perfect or salvage.  I have never sold any vehicle of any type regardless of condition other than "as is" because the phrase--for the most part--cuts off the seller's liability to the buyer once the deal closes.   

As mentioned above... pretty much every used item sale is "as-is" unless there is an existing warranty that is transferable. I can see some cases where the seller may honor repairs or returns if the item goes defective almost immediately after, but even that isn't terribly common.

It is pretty much implied in most cases, so sellers that list this in the bio give off some sort of "sketchy" feel to me IMO.

• Like 1
Just now, MattyICE15 said:

It is pretty much implied in most cases, so sellers that list this in the bio give off some sort of "sketchy" feel to me IMO.

exactly. Im not looking right now, but thought I would post that boat as a good find, or potentially sketchy find.. Like you said, if they have to say it outright, theres something definitely wrong they arent telling you.

Just now, AJwakedevil said:

exactly. Im not looking right now, but thought I would post that boat as a good find, or potentially sketchy find.. Like you said, if they have to say it outright, theres something definitely wrong they arent telling you.

It's not necessarily something I would take to the bank though. Could be someone who doesn't sell much online and doesn't know any better. Definitely a trigger to cover you basis however and ensure a quality pre-purchase inspection is completed.