Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decision Time

Jasvols83

Spoke with the money handler today and now since things are a go, I have to make a decision between a 2017 T23 or an A22.  Not a tough spot to be in but am very curious which way people would lean between the two boats?. The A22 is fully loaded and is about our 3rd choice on color combo.  The T23 is a bit more stripped down with no add-ons (docking lights, underwater lights, 2nd instrument panel, surf pipe, etc).  Really the T23 only has surf-gate, CS bimini, and PNP.

Price is close to the same on both bc of options or lack there of.  Where would you lean and why?

Also, what would be a price difference in your opinion if you could find a leftover NEW 2016 T23 or A22 versus a 2017 model of the same.  Assuming the engine is the biggest difference as the 17s have the larger engine standard; what is that worth?

I would love to find a leftover 16 only because my wife would not be wanting to strangle me quite as bad as she is right now.

Edited by Jasvols83
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Jasvols83 said:

Spoke with the money handler today and now since things are a go, I have to make a decision between a 2017 T23 or an A22.  Not a tough spot to be in but am very curious which way people would lean between the two boats?. The A22 is fully loaded and is about our 3rd choice on color combo.  The T23 is a bit more stripped down with no add-ons (docking lights, underwater lights, 2nd instrument panel, surf pipe, etc).  Really the T23 only has surf-gate, CS bimini, and PNP.

Price is close to the same on both bc of options or lack there of.  Where would you lean and why?

Also, what would be a price difference in your opinion if you could find a leftover NEW 2016 T23 or A22 versus a 2017 model of the same.  Assuming the engine is the biggest difference as the 17s have the larger engine standard; what is that worth?

I would love to find a leftover 16 only because my wife would not be wanting to strangle me quite as bad as she is right now.

I promised  the "money handler" to order a low price axis and did, I only checked off 10 items including wedge and gate and the 8 or 9 others were cheap items like pnp and heater,  they all surf well if you LOAD them , all Malibu axis have great riding wakes, go as cheap as possible and you won't miss the extras in the other boat, as far as engine goes you can prop out of that problem even with the 330hp monsoon your not getting, the 409 (std For a 16 t23?) and a 5 year warranty is good enough

I think most will tell you that you can add the extras in later but you cant add a foot of length to your boat.  That said, I generally prefer the A series from a looks/usage and feel that 22 feet would be perfect.  

Do you trailer? Garage restrictions? Crew size? - Will that extra length really be of use to you?  

Can you put up some pictures? You say the color choice is 3rd to you, but is it a good resale scheme?  

Either way congrats and nice situation to be in!

Had an A22 and loved it but our family utilizes the space of our LSV more.  We found that we rarely used the bow.  Mostly because there was always a bag filled up there.  We still have a bag in our LSV bow but have sooooo much more room behind the window.  Good luck 

• Like 1

Go T23.  I have been in both the A22 and T23 2015 model years and they won't plane with full ballast and wedge down (for wakeboarding) with the standard engine.  Don't know if that will still be an issue with the 409???  I would say rip out the hard tanks and just get a big 1,100 sac or whatever sumo is making these days.  I don't get why everyone gets excited about hard tanks (PNP). . . they take up a lot of space.  I took mine out of my 2011 and can fit wakeboards and surfboards in the hatches now and have more than enough room in my hatches with full 1,100's filled and jackets on top of them.  

My 2011 A22 is loaded with every option except the bigger engine and I wish I would have went bigger (engine).  When you have 12 people in the boat and full ballast with the wedge down you will never plane.  I typically put a triangle bow sac on top of the seats now that's a 1,000 lbs to get on plane.  I've hardly ever used my docking lights or rear underwater lights. . . kind of a waste of money if you don't go out at night.  Was on a boat with the surf pipe and one without (back to back switched boats) and I couldn't tell a difference. . . to me it's just something else that could cause damage and doesn't really serve much of a purpose as others have claimed.  

Another thing i've noticed is the A22 cockpit is smaller than it was comparing a 11 to a 15.  The T23 has a huge cockpit area and that's where you will spend most of the time and like others have said you can't add on another 1'.  I love my boat and really wish they never redesigned it to the current version.  If I were to buy a new one after being on a couple of new boats I would go T23 or A24 on the Axis line.  The wakes are just as good as the A22 for wakeboarding but the surf wakes are significantly bigger.  Just take that for what it's worth though.  Just my opinion.  Good Luck with your purchase either choice isn't bad.  

Edited by ajf4242
Mistakes

Another vote for the T23 if you like the colors.  I don't think most people will miss docking lights, underwater lights, etc.      That being said, be prepared to spend some money after you get it, because you likely will whether it be on tweaking the stereo, doing more with the ballast, etc., etc.  

• Like 1

the price jump between the 409 and the 350 last year was like 4K retail IIRC.  

I wouldn't buy a T23 with a 350 at all.  409 with 1.72 tranny should be great at under 4k' altitude (though you may still need to prop it down to push the weight you want).

• Like 1