Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast - Bow or Walkway

Murphy8166

I will admit that I have seen most put a triangle bag in the bow of the boat for ballast when running heavier than the standard issue Malibu bags.  I have done this in the past as well.

I have also seen several that do not rur a triangle bow bag but instead put a 600 lbs - 750 lbs in the walkway in lieu of the bag up front.

Any difference in wave?

I have done both with my 750 and couldn't tell a difference (with my boat) in basically a 3 foot change. The only reason I put the bag in the bow now is so I can put my cooler in the walk through so I gain a little extra weight (75lb full maybe) and primarily the room. Everyone wants to pile in my boat when we surf so moving the cooler forward opens up a little floor space for a smaller cooler in the rear and more leg room for surfers and spectators. Don't mind that extra ballast either.

• Like 1

We have a prototype of a walkway back for the LSV that we ran last summer. We haven't released it because we weren't sure what the interest would be. Our experience has been the same as wdr (on the current generation boats we have tested) with respect to whether the weight is located in the walkway or bow.

19 minutes ago, skicrave said:

We have a prototype of a walkway back for the LSV that we ran last summer. We haven't released it because we weren't sure what the interest would be. Our experience has been the same as wdr (on the current generation boats we have tested) with respect to whether the weight is located in the walkway or bow.

I'd be interested since it would free up the bow. Doesn't bother me so much but it drives my wife nuts that some of the kids can't be in the bow while we're surfing.

What size of bag were you guys testing?

• Like 1

I have the WM, FH 750 intended for the rear lockers on a Johnson w/ 1" hose that works and fits really well in the walk thru or on one side of the bow.

Edited by wdr
19 hours ago, NWBU said:

What size of bag were you guys testing?

550lbs was the modeled capacity. We kept the height of the bag even with the seat cushions from a use standpoint, which limited the capacity somewhat. 

• 3 weeks later...

I run my triangle 1k bag in center floor in my 25 lsv When I'm running with only 3 of us.. 2 in boat..  tried it in bow but it hurts wave compared to center floor. I do have 550s in rear so maybe if I upgraded to 750s that would change.. it is in the way though but worth it on a light Crew.. 

• Like 2

Yes, you need more weight in a 25LSV, especially if you increase the lever of the bow weight by moving it forward in the boat. With larger rear bags you would be able to run that weight up front to get it out of the floor a little.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2017 at 7:10 PM, The Hulk said:

I do have 550s in rear so maybe if I upgraded to 750s that would change..

Oh boy you will really benefit from 750+ in the back. Upgrade asap! 

• Like 2