Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 MXZ STEREO DELETE IS THE SIGNAL FROM RADIO DIGITAL OR ANALOG?

bottlefedsi

Good afternoon fellow BU owners, after much debate and back and forth with Malibu and Nautique I decided on the 17 MXZ 22.  I am ordering the boat with no audio except the headunit, my question is this, does anyone know if the malibu specific plugs are digital from the headunit or analog?  I am going to do a full JL audio system with a processor but if the output from the headunit is digital, non of that is possible and would force everyone to go malibu amps.

Thanks

Sean

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bottlefedsi said:

Good afternoon fellow BU owners, after much debate and back and forth with Malibu and Nautique I decided on the 17 MXZ 22.  I am ordering the boat with no audio except the headunit, my question is this, does anyone know if the malibu specific plugs are digital from the headunit or analog?  I am going to do a full JL audio system with a processor but if the output from the headunit is digital, non of that is possible and would force everyone to go malibu amps.

Thanks

Sean

Have you heard the new Revo speakers and DSP amps that are coming in the Malibu boats now? 2nd, Mailbu does not manufacture amps, they are WET SOUNDS amps as well as the speakers. 

What "plugs" are you asking about? The 2017 system used DSP interface. The 2017 CC with Polk head unit used standard RCA pre-amp outputs. Can you convert the source unit DSP signals to traditional RCA.......i believe so. 

I'll post on this later tonight, but long story short - yes, you can convert the DSP signal to RCA and maintain factory integration.  Factory delete is still an okay option, but I think 1/2 factory and 1/2 aftermarket is better.

Malibu won't just sell you the box...at least they wouldn't do it for me or should I say my dealer.

Just to follow up.........

You can splice into the DSP harness to get a signal and use a line out converter for the RCAs.  I am a bit nervous about this and adding unwanted sound, but that's the only options available at this time if you want to use different amps with the integrated Malibu dash system.  We'll see how well this works, but I've talked to a couple people at Wet Sounds and it 'should' be fine.  Again, we'll see.  I really wanted to keep the factory dash knob and since the system is much faster than when I last tested it in 2015 I think I'm going to satisfied IF I don't have added noise.

What did I do?  I ordered only the factory in boat speaker package.  I got the black box, amp, and the Revo speakers.  My dealer was kind enough o credit me back the cost of the WS amp, so I have about $2700 into the Revo speakers and black box, but at least the speakers are installed and they're wired.  I had to cut in the walkway speakers on my 2014 and that was a little bit of a pain, plus all of the wiring.  Sure, I could have saved some money by skipping the black box and installing my own stuff, however at this point in my life I appreciate factory integration in my vehicles and boat if possible.  I think it helps for resale slightly too.

I'm going Rev10s, with SD amps, XXXv2, and a WS 420 to tune it.  In theory everything should work out, now I'm just waiting for the boat to arrive in 6 weeks.

Just now, MLA said:

All you need is to convert one output to RCA into the WS-420  and you are golden. 

That's exactly what Tim with Wet Sounds said.  I'm trusting he's right on it.

15 hours ago, bottlefedsi said:

Thanks

Sean

I just took delivery of my 17' and like you wanted better than stock. I ordered base audio package which is hu, inboats and 4 ch amp. I added 1 pair Rev10's WS xxx-12 and two sd amps and it is my best audio system by far. The new revo series speakers are light years better than any wetsounds previous generations, I was told the new internal crossovers is a big deal. The new revos are warm very much like the JL products. I also ordered sport knob and it's easy to use when pulling a rider for sure. You can definitely do any amps you choose.  Check my insta feed for pics .... Post pics of your system when completed!!

Edited by ConnollyCrew
10 hours ago, tjklein said:

Just to follow up.........

You can splice into the DSP harness to get a signal and use a line out converter for the RCAs.  I am a bit nervous about this and adding unwanted sound, but that's the only options available at this time if you want to use different amps with the integrated Malibu dash system.  We'll see how well this works, but I've talked to a couple people at Wet Sounds and it 'should' be fine.  Again, we'll see.  I really wanted to keep the factory dash knob and since the system is much faster than when I last tested it in 2015 I think I'm going to satisfied IF I don't have added noise.

What did I do?  I ordered only the factory in boat speaker package.  I got the black box, amp, and the Revo speakers.  My dealer was kind enough o credit me back the cost of the WS amp, so I have about $2700 into the Revo speakers and black box, but at least the speakers are installed and they're wired.  I had to cut in the walkway speakers on my 2014 and that was a little bit of a pain, plus all of the wiring.  Sure, I could have saved some money by skipping the black box and installing my own stuff, however at this point in my life I appreciate factory integration in my vehicles and boat if possible.  I think it helps for resale slightly too.

I'm going Rev10s, with SD amps, XXXv2, and a WS 420 to tune it.  In theory everything should work out, now I'm just waiting for the boat to arrive in 6 weeks.

You don't need the 420, save your $

WS has a built in zone controller in the head unit and it sounds great. My 15 had a 420, my 17 doesn't and it sounds better. 

You know you can reprogram that syn DX-4 dsp factory amp to run the Rev10's @400 rms? Your wetsounds dealer needs the dsp dongle and they can load the correct dsp mapping to run how you need based on application(Thanks @MLA )! I repurposed my ws factory 4 ch and it sounds great. Annnnd saved $$ Just a heads up....Now sure all know this can be done with the factory amps...

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 3

I was able to order the only the "black box" and everything prewired from factory, according to Malibu tech the signal is analog.  I will be using a Bit One processor to convert the signal to RCA out and have eq capabilities.  They are supposed to be getting back to me with a wiring schematic so I can tell what zones and speakers are what.  I will upload that schematic when I receive it incase anyone else needs to do same thing.

thanks

Sean

• Like 3
On 3/8/2017 at 5:19 AM, ConnollyCrew said:

You don't need the 420, save your $

WS has a built in zone controller in the head unit and it sounds great. My 15 had a 420, my 17 doesn't and it sounds better. 

You know you can reprogram that syn DX-4 dsp factory amp to run the Rev10's @400 rms? Your wetsounds dealer needs the dsp dongle and they can load the correct dsp mapping to run how you need based on application(Thanks @MLA )! I repurposed my ws factory 4 ch and it sounds great. Annnnd saved $$ Just a heads up....Now sure all know this can be done with the factory amps...

Whoa! Any more details on what can be adjusted on the new stock DSP amps? 

4 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Whoa! Any more details on what can be adjusted on the new stock DSP amps? 

From my understanding they can be programmed to run any config the SYN DX line can.... same amps... different adjustment mode....

4 hours ago, MLA said:

What is "adjusted" has not really changed, but rather the how its adjusted with the new DSP amps. 

You are right.  I wasn't very clear with my wording.  Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1