Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
gahvey

Malibu Sport Dash Replacement

Recommended Posts

gahvey

Does anyone know if you can buy the 2016+ Sport Dash to fit in a 2015 VLX?  My phone is just slightly to big to fit in the existing one but I am sure I can fit it in the 2016+ one.

Share this post


Link to post
ChainSetter

I have been wondering the same thing. I have yet to pull out a tape measure (boat in storage) but from looking at them it looks like that metal plate on the 2016 that the phone holder is mounted to is actually a good bit wider than the 2015 versions.  It seems hard to believe that they would have widened the whole dash board to accommodate the bigger phones but maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
NHolladay

There was an old thread on this and I believe you can order a few parts and make the changes.  Going to have to search the history.

Share this post


Link to post
ChainSetter

There it is. Looks like an easy swap for $90 

Share this post


Link to post
mikeo

Let me know if you guys have questions. The swap was easy, I just made it more challenging by putting the gas strut in to replace the springs but I think it's a more elegant solution.

Share this post


Link to post
gahvey
8 hours ago, mikeo said:

Let me know if you guys have questions. The swap was easy, I just made it more challenging by putting the gas strut in to replace the springs but I think it's a more elegant solution.

Thanks for the info guys!  Anyone find the part out on the web without going through the dealer?  I have a feeling they are going to try to sell the sport knob and all of the labor to go with it.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
30 minutes ago, gahvey said:

Thanks for the info guys!  Anyone find the part out on the web without going through the dealer?  I have a feeling they are going to try to sell the sport knob and all of the labor to go with it.

Thanks!

Pretty sure you are not going to find someone on the web selling it unless it's stolen or off of a wrecked boat. They are custom made for Malibu.

Share this post


Link to post
gahvey

all right - thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
mikeo
2 hours ago, gahvey said:

Thanks for the info guys!  Anyone find the part out on the web without going through the dealer?  I have a feeling they are going to try to sell the sport knob and all of the labor to go with it.

Thanks!

My dealer didn't have any issue selling me the parts and letting me do the work myself. Since you have the part number(s) from the linked thread, just go to the parts person at your dealer and ask them to order it. If you're dealer is smaller shop where the sales guy is also the parts guy then he may try to convince you to have them install everything for you. Hold your ground near the $90 price point others have quoted, make sue they don't sell you a new knob for $200+ and you'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
gahvey

My dealer quoted me $112 (+ tax and shipping) as they say there is a hardware kit that is needed as well?  Trying to get details on the hardware kit

Share this post


Link to post
mikeo
5 hours ago, gahvey said:

My dealer quoted me $112 (+ tax and shipping) as they say there is a hardware kit that is needed as well?  Trying to get details on the hardware kit

Nope, there's no "hardware kit" unless they're referring to the 4 threaded studs and nuts that mount the plate to the dash. You can get the studs out of the old plate if you're patient; mine weren't secured with loc-tite or anything like that, so I just used two nuts as jam-nuts and unthreaded the studs from the old plate.

Make you're dealer show you the line item they're ordering. All you need is part/kit 413462 from Malibu. You can see my post on the parts here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
gahvey

Finally got the parts this weekend and put it all together.  There were no instructions so luckily Mike's pictures helped me figure it all out.  Those ball bearings are a pain to keep in place when you slide the back plate in place.  That took a couple of hours to get it just right.  I see what Mike meant about the springs, so to combat that I just stretched the springs out.  I am guessing that it is meant to have it butt up against the ball bearing straight on but when you do that the ball tends to fall out when you tip it over to put everything in place.  

The floss was a very good idea though to compress the springs.  The way I did I was able to get everything working was to stretch the spring, string the floss through (leave alot of extra floss on both ends and put them together when you put the pieces together), and then jam it into it's slot with the ball holding it in place.  Then I put the ball bearings in their places on the end and held them with my fingers as I slid the two pieces together.  Once I had the pieces together with the balls in place I pulled on the floss until the parts slid together.  After that I screwed in the other side of the phone holder and tested.

Next up is removing the old part and swapping the sport knob....overall not hard to do but it can be frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
dpbremer
On 3/26/2017 at 1:23 PM, gahvey said:

Finally got the parts this weekend and put it all together.  There were no instructions so luckily Mike's pictures helped me figure it all out.  Those ball bearings are a pain to keep in place when you slide the back plate in place.  That took a couple of hours to get it just right.  I see what Mike meant about the springs, so to combat that I just stretched the springs out.  I am guessing that it is meant to have it butt up against the ball bearing straight on but when you do that the ball tends to fall out when you tip it over to put everything in place.  

The floss was a very good idea though to compress the springs.  The way I did I was able to get everything working was to stretch the spring, string the floss through (leave alot of extra floss on both ends and put them together when you put the pieces together), and then jam it into it's slot with the ball holding it in place.  Then I put the ball bearings in their places on the end and held them with my fingers as I slid the two pieces together.  Once I had the pieces together with the balls in place I pulled on the floss until the parts slid together.  After that I screwed in the other side of the phone holder and tested.

Next up is removing the old part and swapping the sport knob....overall not hard to do but it can be frustrating.

Hi gahvey,

I am looking at making the same upgrade.

Did you purchase at MN Inboard (I see we are almost neighbors!)?

What were the PN's you used to order it?

What was the final cost?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
gahvey

Hi @dpbremer - I just got the part kit that Mike pointed out in the post.  You do need the hardware kit although with that you really only need the springs and the ball bearings that come in it.  The rest is all parts you can take off the old setup but in my case I just used the new parts since I bought them.

Total cost was $136 after tax and shipping costs.  I looked at my invoice and compared it to Mike's.  The parts were slightly more expensive but they got me with the tax and shipping costs.

Kevin at mninboard was good to work with.  Overall not a hard upgrade and I think it will be a worthwhile one.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...