Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Sunsetter rehab

@Bean97:  On the oil, I have used 5W-30 Mobil 1 for many years, recently went to the 0W-40 weight.  You might watch your oil pressure gauge, if it seems a bit low, particularly at idle, then at your next oil change, I would bump up the viscosity.  You will want at least 40 psi while running at speed, and it is nice to have at least 20+ psi at idle.  A good oil filter is also a good idea, my preference is the Wix 51061 which is the longer pickup truck version for the small block.  How many hours?

20 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Bean97:  On the oil, I have used 5W-30 Mobil 1 for many years, recently went to the 0W-40 weight.  You might watch your oil pressure gauge, if it seems a bit low, particularly at idle, then at your next oil change, I would bump up the viscosity.  You will want at least 40 psi while running at speed, and it is nice to have at least 20+ psi at idle.  A good oil filter is also a good idea, my preference is the Wix 51061 which is the longer pickup truck version for the small block.  How many hours?

Thanks, Woodski.  I will have to pay attention to the oil pressure, but for some reason I remember it being higher than that at both idle and at speed.  I'll check tonight during our night ride.  I have the mobile 1 M1-302 oil filter, only because that is what my Dad last used, but am not opposed to changing.  I am running right around 650 hours.

On 6/27/2017 at 0:27 PM, tvano said:

re screws: i'd suggest moving back to brass.

if brass is over-tightened the only fret is removing the broken screw pieces and parts.

if stainless is over-tightened the pump body becomes a larger chore to repair or larger cost to replace.

Thanks, tvano!  I'll swap them out for sure, but now I know I don't need to rush.

3 hours ago, Bean97 said:

Thanks, Woodski.  I will have to pay attention to the oil pressure, but for some reason I remember it being higher than that at both idle and at speed.  I'll check tonight during our night ride.  I have the mobile 1 M1-302 oil filter, only because that is what my Dad last used, but am not opposed to changing.  I am running right around 650 hours.

The Mobil 1 M1-302 is the longer small block truck filter. It is high quality and is my filter of choice.

Your boat build has been a fun one to watch. Fantastic work!

@Bean97:  No issues as noted above with that oil filter, good choice, at 650 hours you should have no issues running the 5W-30 viscosity oil, and you should see many hours of trouble free use.  May simply be the oil pressure gauge, I probably should have added a +/- 10 psi tolerance on the numbers.  I kind of view the difference between idle and running (at your typical ski speed) as a rough gauge on whether the viscosity is high enough.  Engine water temperature can / will also make a significant difference.  I always warm my engine up to a point where the oil pressure won't spike high when I pull up a skier, which can be a challenge skiing in colder water.  Great work to date, have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping you all can help me troubleshoot an issue I have been having.  I am stating to get several spots in RPM where I am unable to keep a steady RPM or even reach some RPMs.  For example at around 2600 RPM if I give a tiny bit more throttle the RPMs jump to 3000 RPM, same thing on the way back down.  So essentially when a wakeboarder is going 15 MPH, but wants to go 16-17 MPH I cannot get them there, it is either 15 MPH or 18 MPH with no in between.  I have started noticing this at a few different places along the RPM range from 600-3200.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Bean97 said:

Hoping you all can help me troubleshoot an issue I have been having.  I am stating to get several spots in RPM where I am unable to keep a steady RPM or even reach some RPMs.  For example at around 2600 RPM if I give a tiny bit more throttle the RPMs jump to 3000 RPM, same thing on the way back down.  So essentially when a wakeboarder is going 15 MPH, but wants to go 16-17 MPH I cannot get them there, it is either 15 MPH or 18 MPH with no in between.  I have started noticing this at a few different places along the RPM range from 600-3200.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Could be fuel hammer.

1 hour ago, footndale said:

@Bean97 Just viewed this thread for the first time. HOLY CRAP, does that look nice. I don't even like green. :)

Nice job!!

Thanks!  Here is a picture on the water.  ~57 hours so far this summer now that my kids figured out wakeboarding and kneeboarding.

IMG_0302.jpg

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@Bean97:  Another culprit could be the throttle control, if the brass linkage joints are worn that could cause difficulty in getting a smooth or accurate throttle application.  Look at the cable to throttle control joint.  Example below:

http://www.skidim.com/CONNECTOR-CONTROL-CABLE/productinfo/R024024/

Thanks, Woodski!  I will check that tonight.  Are those linkage joints right at the throttle by the driver?

Its funny how these little brass connectors wear.  The one on my echelon eventually broke and when I hit the throttle the boat went nowhere.

So I have the same problem with the throttle - noticed it this past week for the first time w/ perfect pass when we just bumped up our skiing speed.  Happens with both manual throttle control and perfect pass, so I believe the culprit is the fuel crossover line -  replacing this week sometime - so I'll update once I get them and have a chance to test.

• 4 weeks later...

Bean,

I was having the same problem with very inconsistent RPMs, someone recommended replacing the coil. I got one on amazon for $34.04 and the boat is running smoother and faster than ever. It was so easy, 5-10 minutes to change it out tops. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00027GO92/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I also put this stuff on my wires at my plugs and cap... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E5E59G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 11 months later...
On 7/24/2017 at 2:51 PM, Bean97 said:

Thanks!  Here is a picture on the water.  ~57 hours so far this summer now that my kids figured out wakeboarding and kneeboarding.

IMG_0302.jpg

Wow that looks awesome!