Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Sunsetter rehab

17 hours ago, Bean97 said:

Absolutely!  PM me where you would like it shipped and I'll get it out to you as soon as I can.

@Michigan boarder  I actually have closer to 28", so I can cut a small piece off as a sample and send you the rest.  Here are a few pictures so you can decide if it looks like the correct stuff.

Rub rail 1.JPG

Rub rail 2.JPG

Rub rail 3.JPG

@Bean97:  That would be awesome.  I wouldn't need 18" to do the compare so it can easily be split.  Thanks for the offer!  Do you have both the inner and outer portions?

Edited by Woodski

Looks good!

The rub rail base for my boat is different too, yours won't work.  Mine is about 1/4" narrower.  But thanks for offering the piece, I really appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Looks good!

The rub rail base for my boat is different too, yours won't work.  Mine is about 1/4" narrower.  But thanks for offering the piece, I really appreciate it.

Bummer.

Man, that looks amazing!!  And I was one of the guys saying "just buff it a little, it looks great".  Nice call on making the leap with the gel and interior, that is a beautiful looking boat.

What's a ball park price on the gel?

52 minutes ago, t229 said:

What % is your tint?   Looks good.  

Thanks! 20%

I was worried that it would be too dark, but when in the sun I really like it.

40 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Man, that looks amazing!!  And I was one of the guys saying "just buff it a little, it looks great".  Nice call on making the leap with the gel and interior, that is a beautiful looking boat.

What's a ball park price on the gel?

Thank you!  I really did take everyone's opinion and input into account, but when it came down to it my Wife's opinion mattered the most.  I was just happy to see how much she really wanted to put the money into giving this boat a face lift.

The Gel coat was roughly:

$900 wet sand/polish/buff

$2100 re-gel the colors (note that he only re-gelled the colors, and only wet sanded the existing white areas)

$500 install the rub-rail

Edited by Bean97
sp.
4 hours ago, Bean97 said:

Thanks! 20%

I was worried that it would be too dark, but when in the sun I really like it.

Nice.   That's my concern is going too dark.   Looks like you can actually see through yours.  Perfect.  

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to replace my impeller and cannot find tips on what silicone to use to put back on the housing cover.  All articles I can find imply that there is a gasket, which on mine there is not.  Any suggestions on a silicone to use that can be found at an auto-parts store?  

I have the Indmar monsoon 320 EFI.

also can someone please tell me which oil and filter to use for oil change?

Okay, I tried to use the gasket that came with the new impeller, even though there was no gasket when I removed the housing cover.

now I have a new problem.  The head of one of the bolts holding the cover on sheared right off as I lightly torqued it down.  Hoping for replacement suggestions ASAP so my memorial weekend is not shot.

thank you!

18 minutes ago, Bean97 said:

Okay, I tried to use the gasket that came with the new impeller, even though there was no gasket when I removed the housing cover.

now I have a new problem.  The head of one of the bolts holding the cover on sheared right off as I lightly torqued it down.  Hoping for replacement suggestions ASAP so my memorial weekend is not shot.

thank you!

I'd just take one of the other ones to Lowes and get a steel one as a temporary fix.

martinarcher

Bummer man.  Yeah, there should be a gasket, no silicone on the cover.  Can you get the stud out with a pair of needle nose vice grips?  If so, just replace it with a machine screw for the weekend until you can get a replacement brass screw.

• Like 2

got some SS replacement bolts for the impeller housing cover.

back to the oil change.  The manual says to use 15W/40 marine grade oil.  Looks like my dad was using standard 5W/30 oil but I cannot confirm with him as he is in the Hospital in a less than fully mental status.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

As mentioned before, I used some stainless steel bolts from Home Depot to hold my impeller cover on since I broke one of the brass ones.  Question is: Do I need to replace them back to brass ones or can I leave the stainless ones?

Also, I ended up going with the 5W/30 oil...hope that was the right call.

re screws: i'd suggest moving back to brass.

if brass is over-tightened the only fret is removing the broken screw pieces and parts.

if stainless is over-tightened the pump body becomes a larger chore to repair or larger cost to replace.