Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Sunsetter rehab

So, no sketch or picture from Malibu.  However, Diane at Malibu was extremely nice and helpful.  I'm going to order the part from my local dealer today.  Will report back in a week or so when the part comes in.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Bean97 said:

So, no sketch or picture from Malibu.  However, Diane at Malibu was extremely nice and helpful.  I'm going to order the part from my local dealer today.  Will report back in a week or so when the part comes in.

Anxious for the news. Literally the only thing on the outside of my boat that is blemished 

Apparently the folks at my nearest Malibu dealer are the busiest parts department ever.  Called several times today with no luck, only received one call back while I was in the middle of a meeting.  Felt like I was inconveniencing them by knowing the exact part numbers of what I wanted to order; so I moved on to the next nearest dealer.  Call back in 30 minutes, parts on order and should be to my fiberglass guy in 3-4 days.  gelcoat spraying is tomorrow and expected to be ready for rub rail install early next week.

i will also be picking up the trailer this weekend and replacing all the bunks since they are 20 years old.

Meanwhile, I had to take one piece of the windshield back to the tinting place because after 3 weeks the bubbles have not gone away; I hate the stress of transporting that piece of glass.

i also got a sneak peek at the (almost) finished upholstery at the shop.  It looked great!  My new goal is to get everything back together before Mother's Day for our annual picnic at the lake.  It is still possible!!

Edited by Bean97
So.
3 minutes ago, Bean97 said:

Apparently the folks at my nearest Malibu dealer are the busiest parts department ever.  Called several times today with no luck, only received one call back while I was in the middle of a meeting.  Felt like I was inconveniencing them by knowing the exact part numbers of what I wanted to order; so I moved on to the next nearest dealer.  Call back in 30 minutes, parts on order and should be to my fiberglass guy in 3-4 days.  gelcoat spraying is tomorrow and expected to be ready for rub rail install early next week.

i will also be picking up the trailer this weekend and replacing all the bunks since they are 20 years old.

Meanwhile, I had to take one piece of the windshield back to the tinting place because after 3 weeks the bubbles have not gone away; I hate the stress of transporting that piece of glass.

i also got a sneak peek at the (almost) finished upholstery at the shop.  It looked great!  My new goal is to get everything back together before Mother's Day for our annual picnic at the lake.  It is still possible!!

My nearest Malibu dealer is the same way. That's exactly why I would have never called them. Keep it up though. 

On 4/21/2017 at 0:43 PM, Woodski said:

@Bean97:  I am also looking for a rub rail insert, the PN I compared to mine did not seem to exactly fit although I need to go back and verify, but key is the fact someone is willing to send you a small sample, can you indicate your success path or specific contact so I can attempt to get a ~6" sample simply to compare to existing?  Thanks in advance.

@Woodski for your Echelon? You were in the thread when @SmoothWaterMan posted up the OEM part numbers here. Not sure if you ever got a response as Peter doesn't use the notification or pm service on here, but you could call your dealer or Smooth Water Sports with the part numbers to check availability:

On 4/25/2017 at 9:51 AM, jbower said:

Anxious for the news. Literally the only thing on the outside of my boat that is blemished 

Have you tried sanding it?  I've taken out some rather large scuffs and scratches by sanding mine.  Basically go through the same process as wet sanding your gel coat. It might be worth trying before you decide to replace it.

12 minutes ago, sic0048 said:

Have you tried sanding it?  I've taken out some rather large scuffs and scratches by sanding mine.  Basically go through the same process as wet sanding your gel coat. It might be worth trying before you decide to replace it.

It's missing about 2 feet of the insert on the transom and the insert doesn't stay attached very well anymore. 

9 minutes ago, jbower said:

It's missing about 2 feet of the insert on the transom and the insert doesn't stay attached very well anymore. 

Well that's not going to buff out!  Lol.  I guess a replacement is going to be in your future......

I was able to get to the swim step this weekend.  I used the starbrite teak oil sealer after sanding with 80 grit and scrubbing clean with a copper scrub brush.  I think it turned out great and it was a great project to involve the kids in as well.

Swim Step.JPG

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Awesome news and she looks great! So the dealer was able to get you the correct rub rail? 

Rub Rail install is happening today/tomorrow and I am scheduled to pick it up on Friday.  I'll report back as soon as I confirm that the part number was correct, but so far it appears to be the case.

I removed all my old trailer bunks last night with a sawzall to get the old rusted bolts out of the old rotting wood.  Now I need to replace them before Friday morning so I can go pick it up.

• Like 2

I completed the bunk replacement in the trailer late last night; picked the boat up from gel coat today and am extremely happy with the end product.

cant post a picture at the moment but wanted to update that the rub rail and insert that I ordered from the dealer was the exact match.

• Like 3
On 4/24/2017 at 9:36 AM, Bean97 said:

Both Vince at Skidim and Andrew at Bakes were extremely nice, but unfortunately unable to find a matching rubrail base.

This morning I called Malibu directly and they said that the original part number is from Creative Extruded Products, Inc. and that the OEM part numbers can still be ordered through my local dealer.  Sweet!  

Base PN: 5050101

Insert PN: 5050111

Local dealer is closed today so really hoping for followup good news tomorrow.  Really hoping I do not have a repeat of THIS.

@jbower, @BlindSquirrel

I wanted to confirm for you both that the part numbers above are what I ordered from the Malibu dealer and they are an exact match to what came off my boat.  Total cost was ~$250 parts and $500 labor to have it installed.

• Like 3
On 4/21/2017 at 10:43 AM, Woodski said:

@Bean97:  I am also looking for a rub rail insert, the PN I compared to mine did not seem to exactly fit although I need to go back and verify, but key is the fact someone is willing to send you a small sample, can you indicate your success path or specific contact so I can attempt to get a ~6" sample simply to compare to existing?  Thanks in advance.

@Woodski,  I have an 18" section of my replacement rub rail left over and can cut off a sample to send to you if you think P/N: 5050101 may be a match for your boat.

1 minute ago, Bean97 said:

@Woodski,  I have an 18" section of my replacement rub rail left over and can cut off a sample to send to you if you think P/N: 5050101 may be a match for your boat.

Hey!  If you can part with whatever @Woodski doesn't need, man that would save me a ton of work and money.  I just have a section of bow damage that needs to be repaired, I could remove the insert, cut out that old section of base, bend and attach your piece, and I'm good to go.  A foot of base would be close to doing it, assuming it will still hold the bend.

This is exactly why this forum is amazing. I'll hold on to these part numbers and order them up in the fall for a winter project. If anyone happens to have about 4 feet of insert they can spare let me know I'll gladly cover shipping and whatever you want for it 

• Like 1

Mine is pretty rough as well and will be ordering one sooner or later.  Thanks for the part numbers.  Are these rub rails a pretty easy diy job?   

Just now, t229 said:

Mine is pretty rough as well and will be ordering one sooner or later.  Thanks for the part numbers.  Are these rub rails a pretty easy diy job?   

Based on the stiffness of the base and the coiled shape that it comes in out of the box, I'd say no.  Also, the fact that my gel-coat guy said he will never do another one tells me that it was pretty difficult.

However, if you have a full day, a good friend, and an even better heat gun I think it is certainly do-able.  I would pay the $500 again in a heartbeat for someone else to do it, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

Hey!  If you can part with whatever @Woodski doesn't need, man that would save me a ton of work and money.  I just have a section of bow damage that needs to be repaired, I could remove the insert, cut out that old section of base, bend and attach your piece, and I'm good to go.  A foot of base would be close to doing it, assuming it will still hold the bend.

Absolutely!  PM me where you would like it shipped and I'll get it out to you as soon as I can.

• Like 1