Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 VLX Restoration

HPetit

Man that looks good! Where did you get the upholstery work done and was the price reasonable? I'll need an interior in the next couple of years myself

That looks bran spankin new. Like the new interior colors. Did you buy the boat to restore it or have you had it, whats the story of this transformation?

I bought the boat in 2013. It needed a lot of work but the price was right. I ran it for 4 years looking ugly. Now that it looks good I am debating trading up to a 2017 vlx. 

28 minutes ago, HPetit said:

I bought the boat in 2013. It needed a lot of work but the price was right. I ran it for 4 years looking ugly. Now that it looks good I am debating trading up to a 2017 vlx. 

I think that was the boat i wanted to come get. Was it at Nautiques of Orlando? I ended up getting mine in August 2013. Great job rehabbing it. Mine had similar issues but I ended up replacing a couple skins and sewing up some other seams by hand. 

Dang that looks great!  I just inherited my '97 sunsetter and need to do the same as you.  When they did the gel did the take all the parts off the boat in order to get to the nooks and crannies of the interior portions of the boat that have gelcoat?

I had my vinyl guy strip out all of the interior, so they could get in the nooks and crannies. I removed the platform but left the grab handles and some minor bits and pieces. The carpet needs another cleaning and I am having my dealer reinstall the switches. 

If you are going to do the vinyl, I would strip out the interior so you can really work on the exterior without worrying about damaging new vinyl.

Edited by HPetit

You know I did the most renovation and project work in my boat in the last 5 years about 3 months before I sold it for a new 2016 last year.  At least you know the new family will get a perfect ride.

My advice to anyone reading this: just bite the bullet and get new vinyl. Don't hate your boat when for $3000 that you can drive something to be proud of. 

That's some thick material that peels from the tower. May be able to level it with filler then blend paint. or maybe just cut a black decal to fit the area. Might have to get creative on this one. 

For the carpet you can always rip it out for seadek like i did! I'd hate to pull the brand new interior though.