Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 23LSV 410 - prop question

FlyBoyCoy

I took delivery of the new 23LSV today. The boat has a 450 with a 2277 prop. It's strong out of the hole and top speed was 40.9 with a surf pipe. I was surprised at that as my VLX only ran 42 without a surfpipe. More data will follow and I plan on running a 2401 prop also to see how it does.

3 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

I took delivery of the new 23LSV today. The boat has a 450 with a 2277 prop. It's strong out of the hole and top speed was 40.9 with a surf pipe. I was surprised at that as my VLX only ran 42 without a surfpipe. More data will follow and I plan on running a 2401 prop also to see how it does.

I heard that the new "Malibu" on the side adds a couple of new horsepower.  Probably the reason. 

• Like 1
On 3/26/2017 at 4:10 PM, Lees23 said:

This thread has me second guessing about which prop to run on my '17 22VLX with base motor.  We rarely will have the boat loaded with ppl and I doubt I'll run more than PNP ballast.  We do like to take cruises. How loud is this tranny wine?  I am coming from a MasterCraft with pretty much open exhaust and a lot of exhaust noise.  I did opt for the surfpipe.  Does the surfpipe really slow the boat down(I keep reading posts about speeds quote with and without the surf pipe).  

I was planning on just running the standard setup but am thinking a little more pitch or diameter might not hurt if the motor will have plenty of torque or my use.

I run the 2277 on my 17 23. I loaddd her with weight and it handled it fine. I will keep my 2277 and buy another as a backup.

On 3/26/2017 at 5:10 PM, Lees23 said:

This thread has me second guessing about which prop to run on my '17 22VLX with base motor.  We rarely will have the boat loaded with ppl and I doubt I'll run more than PNP ballast.  We do like to take cruises. How loud is this tranny wine?  I am coming from a MasterCraft with pretty much open exhaust and a lot of exhaust noise.  I did opt for the surfpipe.  Does the surfpipe really slow the boat down(I keep reading posts about speeds quote with and without the surf pipe).  

I was planning on just running the standard setup but am thinking a little more pitch or diameter might not hurt if the motor will have plenty of torque or my use.

On the surfpipe issue you mention. I don't think it makes a noticeable change in speed. As I have posted my non surf pipe VLX ran 42 MPH. Now that I have some time on the new LSV I am seeing 41.4MPH with a surfpipe. I would expect the LSV to be slightly slower. My top speed will be slightly higher with the 450 verses the 410 because I believe the RPM limiter is set higher at 5500 RPM however at anything other the flat out the RPM to speed ratio will be exactly the same as a boat with the 410. 3500 RPM gives a acceptable cruise at 25.6 MPH and still allows good acceleration at heavy weights. I don't believe there is any reason to go to the 2249 unless you are going to really slam the boat with weight well above full internal and PNP.