Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pop rivet windshield locks

Stevo

I would like to know this as well. My screws keep coming out so I just took them out and don't use the locks at all. You'd think they'd have something like that figured out by now. Those screws have been coming out since the beginning of time. 

• Like 2

So I think I found the right rivets, but haven't installed yet, I'll post the size when I am certain they are correct. I'd have them done already , but Murphy's law states once you get your boat out of storage it must rain at least an inch of water (and a little hail) while it's parked in your driveway.

agree stupid design, makes a mess drilling out the old rivet, vacuum is a must, unless u want aluminum shards everywhere.

9 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I would like to know this as well. My screws keep coming out so I just took them out and don't use the locks at all. You'd think they'd have something like that figured out by now. Those screws have been coming out since the beginning of time. 

I'm too scared not to have them on there. I've seen a couple broken windshields, and with the high caliber condition of California roads I'm sure I'd shatter mine with a few unexpected bumps in the road

Speaking of Murphy's law...

on the way home I picked up this guy.

AF0E1C00-E36D-4DAF-8418-84B7339B357D_zps

420963FF-0F39-4FFE-A5F4-658EDD98E6F6_zps

If you don't have a plug kit, get one right now. This is what I have $40, and I plugged it and was back on the road in 15 min

ARB 10000010 Orange Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P91FCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_z.dVybR6FVH3D

DB5D2E53-2BEA-4D41-90F2-1385416E9721_zps

And if you don't have one of these, you should. $40 , both the plug kit and pump fit under the rear seat in the truck

Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012WHBSO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EbeVybFJJPECC

51696B33-C6F9-4660-A3D7-358BF3E2FB80_zps

I am replacing the tire as the hole is too close to the side wall, but it got me to my destination, and has held for 2 days so far.

Edited by Stevo
10 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Have you ever put a dab of LocTite on them?  May want to use a mid level grade not permanent. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Have you ever put a dab of LocTite on them?  May want to use a mid level grade not permanent. 

That would be way too easy. Guess I should go that route first. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sixball said:

And this is why I love forums!! Never thought of that myself, but will be putting a dab of blue loctite on there today! Thank you sir!!

Mine has rivets and they aren't tight so they allow the window lock to spin so they never stay in place. I'm thinking I'm going to put a flush mount riv-nut in the windshield, then I may use a jam-nut to hold a machine screw in place for the lock.

I had same issue on my '15 22vlx with rivets.  I ended up putting a piece of soft velcro on the actual latch arm to take up the slop.  This seemed to work all last year and I never had a problem after this.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Fman said:

I had same issue on my '15 22vlx with rivets.  I ended up putting a piece of soft velcro on the actual latch arm to take up the slop.  This seemed to work all last year and I never had a problem after this.

That's soon much easier than the riv-nut, and if it doesn't work then I'll go the riv-nut route.

I never found the right size rivet when I replaced my shattered center windshield. Tried everything they had and Lowes and Home Depot. I ended up swinging by my dealer and having them do it.

You need rivet # 58.  This rivet is 5/32" diameter and is 0.650" long.  It has a grip range of 0.376" - 0.500".

I riveted the windshield locks on my boat.  It took less than 10 minutes and was very easy.  Just drill the holes to 5/32".  The aluminum material is very soft and you don't have to enlarge the existing hole very much.

• Like 2