Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bu Approved Sunblocks

SCMike

Hey Crew.  Im looking for reccomndations on boat safe sunblocks.  I live by the beach and typically use Sun Bum or Hawaiian Tropic (never use spray) but I'm not sure if they are safe for boat interior.  My 21vlx arrives this month, and I want to make sure I keep her nice and pretty, and not ruin the seats.   I searched the site for a list, but couldn't find one. If you got reoomnedations, I'd love to hear about them and why you love them.  

Thanks,

Mike 

We don't use sprays while on the boat unless it's on the platform.  That stuff is a pain to clean off interior.  We use Hawaiian Tropic a lot and no issues.  We have also used Coppertone but it is harder to find lately in SPF8-15.

We mainly use the NO-AD 50 Spf. Have used sprays and I try to not allow unless someone is aware of wind direction. I would see it all over the glass, dash, seats and gel when wiping down at the end of the day. Never any damage just harder to clean.

14 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

We mainly use the NO-AD 50 Spf. Have used sprays and I try to not allow unless someone is aware of wind direction. I would see it all over the glass, dash, seats and gel when wiping down at the end of the day. Never any damage just harder to clean.

Dang man ,   I'm white but SPF 50 .....that's legit

We use cooper tone mostly - spray and normal stuff ,  no issues.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
30 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

We've settled on NO-AD also.

13 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Dang man ,   I'm white but SPF 50 .....that's legit

We use cooper tone mostly - spray and normal stuff ,  no issues.

50 or 30... IMHO they both work about the same, which is to say everything washes off after a set behind the boat and you'd better reapply when you get back in.

I've got a couple of red heads on the boat and my jobs have always been outdoors so we cover up pretty good. My bimini also covers from windshield to ski pylon.

From what I've read, People recommend staying away from sunblocks with the ingredient Avobenzone. Apparently Avobenzone reacts with the iron in the water and creates rust stains.

Seems like Avobenzone is the #1 ingredient in most sunblocks so im not sure if this really hold true for boat interiors.   

This leaves very few options, mainly organic and baby sunblocks.  Since everyone here has had no ill effects with blocks with Avobenzone, I'll just give my go-to sunblocks a try and hope for the best. 

Whatever u do.. Never ever ever ever ever use coooertone kids stuff in the aqua / green bottle!!!!  I posted this before anyone caught with this shows up at the lake and it gets tossed in the trash! Not allowed to even put it on before getting in the boat either. It's the worst stuff ever! Good luck trying to clean it.. also it does not even rub in on the skin so it's horrible anyhow.. be warned... or u will be stained...

Coooertone brown stuff is what I use and baby pink bottle stuff or blue bottle sport seems to be OK still have to be cautious as with any... just stay far away from kids green/aqua stuff.. it's impossible to clean and will stain anything and everything.. ban it from your boat or lake house!!!

8 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

That stuff is great. 

I realize it is only 30, which is limiting for some folks, but it is my go-to boating and golf sunscreen.

29 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I just buy dollar store sunscreen. Works great to block the sun and I've never seen a stain on my vinyl.

main issue on the vinyl occurs if you don't use protectant.  Then the sun bakes it and turns brown.  Inlaws lxi has sunscreen damage on glove box and upholstry by spotter seat.

53 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

+1 for orange bottles of banana boat!   My daughter was using the Neutrogena stuff for a while, it is much messier than the banana boat.

I had always heard to stay away from Banana Boat as they were one of the worst for the interior.  Maybe they changed their recipe? 

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

main issue on the vinyl occurs if you don't use protectant.  Then the sun bakes it and turns brown.  Inlaws lxi has sunscreen damage on glove box and upholstry by spotter seat.

Mine has a bit of this too. Wonder if there is a way to get rid of it. I've tried a lot of stuff.

Steve B.

No idea, I just know the Neutrogena stuff did not "rub in" all the way.  So at the end of the day there were white spots EVERYWHERE!  I have not had a problem with the banana boat.  I am really not that picky other than no spray on!