Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 22MXZ with 410 or 450???

bottlefedsi

Good morning everyone, looks like we are finally gonna make the plunge and get the MXZ, my last decision is to go with the stock 410 or upgrade to the 450.  We live in Central Florida, pretty much at sea level, and never have a crew bigger than 7.  We surf mostly and hardly ever wakeboard.  Do you think its worth going to the 450 for the power and resale value or am I wasting my money?  I am curious if you guys know the difference in fuel consumption as well. 

Thanks

Sean

I am going with the 450 in a 23 LSV because I want to be able to run a 2277 prop and still carry weight. The lake I live on is 30 miles long so I want the ability to cruise at a decent speed with reasonable rpm. If I lived on a small lake I would probably go with the 410 and run a 2249 prop as cruise would be less of a issue.

• Like 1

i

30 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Congrats on narrowing it down! I thought there was a consensus to go with the 410 at your other thread? 

I thought I had but the dealer is trying to convince me the 450 is the way to go, now if the resale or fuel consumption is the same then 450 it is.  I just dont know if any of that is true.

23 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

I am going with the 450 in a 23 LSV because I want to be able to run a 2277 prop and still carry weight. The lake I live on is 30 miles long so I want the ability to cruise at a decent speed with reasonable rpm. If I lived on a small lake I would probably go with the 410 and run a 2249 prop as cruise would be less of a issue.

I live at 1100 feet above sea level and the 410 in a 23lsv with the 2277 prop is sufficient. WOT is about 40 mph. The 2249 prop is overkill in my opinion, and it raises your RPMs and lowers the WOT to about 35 mph.

ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

i

I thought I had but the dealer is trying to convince me the 450 is the way to go, now if the resale or fuel consumption is the same then 450 it is.  I just dont know if any of that is true.

Most of the time you do not make your money back on a motor upgrade. I would say this is even more true because the Raptor 410 and 450 is the same engine with the 450 having an upgraded tune. If I was in central Florida there is no way I would pay for the 450. We have put quite a few hours on a 22 with the 410 here through various events and it has performed well.

WAwinegrapes
12 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Most of the time you do not make your money back on a motor upgrade. I would say this is even more true because the Raptor 410 and 450 is the same engine with the 450 having an upgraded tune. If I was in central Florida there is no way I would pay for the 450. We have put quite a few hours on a 22 with the 410 here through various events and it has performed well.

IS there anyone who could upgrade (change the tune) the 410 to a 450?. if it is just the tune, can fly wheels, timing, whatever be changed to get that extra 40 HP?  and what is the increase in TQ from the 410 to the 450?  I would be more interested in increased TQ than increased HP!

How much more is a 450 than a 410?

can you adjust or change the tune with a diacom?

Edited by WAwinegrapes

Standard prop with the 410 will be fine.  The 450 is hardly noticeable over the 410.  I tested both options on a '17 22MXZ and honestly couldn't really tell a difference.  This was at about 1000' above sea level.  3000'+ would be a different story I'm sure.

• Like 1

410, 1.76:1 transmission, and standard prop work great at sea level. Save the money from not going 450 or apply the savings to other options of the boat. The only engine upgrade worthwhile, IMO, is the 575.

• Like 3

For those referencing horsepower here, when Malibu went Ford, they call them out by torque now. (i.e. The 410 is ft/lbs).  Horsepower is more like 350 on the 410.  

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I just picked up my 2017 22 VLX with the 450 from a 2015 VLX with the the LS3 450. It feels like this raptor is slower to speed and uses about 50% more fuel. Has anyone else seen this?  Surfing at 3500 rpm I'm burning 9 gal per hour. 

On 3/3/2017 at 0:32 PM, UpperleftWake said:

410, 1.76:1 transmission, and standard prop work great at sea level. Save the money from not going 450 or apply the savings to other options of the boat. The only engine upgrade worthwhile, IMO, is the 575.

This is accurate.  I have a 17 MXZ and went with the 410.  I tested the 450 and there was no noticeable difference.  I am running the standard prop, sacs in the rear and 200lbs of lead in the front.  

Top speed is 40mph, no problems getting out the hole.  I'm in Minnesota at about 1100' of elevation.  My dealer is #1 in the country for volume and I trust their judgement (410 was their advice).  410 is all you need and keep in mind my last boat had the supercharged LSA.

Edited by tjklein
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Bigdaddie said:

I just picked up my 2017 22 VLX with the 450 from a 2015 VLX with the the LS3 450. It feels like this raptor is slower to speed and uses about 50% more fuel. Has anyone else seen this?  Surfing at 3500 rpm I'm burning 9 gal per hour. 

What prop on each and what is your top speed on each.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, bottlefedsi said:

Good morning everyone, looks like we are finally gonna make the plunge and get the MXZ, my last decision is to go with the stock 410 or upgrade to the 450.  We live in Central Florida, pretty much at sea level, and never have a crew bigger than 7.  We surf mostly and hardly ever wakeboard.  Do you think its worth going to the 450 for the power and resale value or am I wasting my money?  I am curious if you guys know the difference in fuel consumption as well. 

Thanks

Sean

410 with 2247 prop if you surf heavy. 2277 if you don't push the limits

I would go 450 even though you lose it in resale.  Extra power for heavy surfing at higher speeds is worth it in my opinion.  Under powered boats push you to upgrade earlier.