Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loading on landings that are a bit too steep

thealy

I am curious if anyone has come up with good workarounds for landings that are a bit to0 steep. My workarounds below are kinda ugly.

When unloading I have to back in far enough to get the back of the boat to float but there is still has a lot of pressure on the front stopper. So when I push the boat back, it drops hard off the front stopper and I believe puts a bunch of pressure on the front rub rail for a split second. The best remedy to this that I have found is to back the boat even further into the water until the entire boat is floating but that can be a problem if the concrete is not long enough and if I don't want to get my feet wet.

During the loading process, I back the trailer just far enough to wet about 3/4 of the bunks and drive the boat up until it stops (I don't tend to power load, have sucked up too many rocks doing this). I then get out and hook it up and crank it up as far as I can. Then I have the driver back up some and I crank some more. Eventually we are backed in so far that he back of the boat is floating so when we pull out of the ramp, there is a 33% that the boat will sit correctly on the bunks, 33% chance it will be too far to the right and 33% too far to the left.

Can you add a roller to the front of the trailer down low to help the bow raise up as it gets closer to the front as well as alleviate some of the stress as the boat floats off? I would also think that using some silicone spray or Liquid Rollers on the bunks would help it slide up as you load a little easier.

Liquid Rollers will help with the loading and unloading...

The thing will slide right off on a steep ramp, no more need to squish your rub rail.

And power loading is a breeze, doesn't take full throttle to get the boat to just gently slide up the bunks (helps if you wet them first)

I love the stuff - can't see any downsides

This is usually a problem of backing in too far. Just how steep is your ramp?

I use a combination of all of these and it never fails regardless of the ramp...

1. Liquid rollers on the bunks

2. Back in all the way to wet the bunks

3. Pull back out until the fenders are just above the water

4. Unhook

5. Unload

Mike

The ramp at Kai Iwi is too steep & I had the same prob with the rub rail catching at the front and I found the only answer was to silicon the bunk beds. Don't back the trailer in too far; prime the fuel rail by turning the key on/wait/off/on again then let 'er go. It is no longer a problem. Retrieving is the same - the boy gives it a gentle nudge up under steam and I catch it with the hook, shout "Gotcha" & he cuts the motor. The silicon on the bunk carpet makes it a cinch to wind up.

Renew the silicon spray about every 4 weeks depending on use.

Edited by andyb

Had the same problem as you. The liquid rollers solved the problem. Now there is no need to float the boat any more. Is it a Boatmate trailer?

Where do you all buy your liquid rollers at?

West Marine for me.. I'm sure you can get some online too

They have this cool website, maybe you haven't heard of it.. www.google.com Tease2.gif

I just googled liquid rollers, and think there are at least 5 retailers on the first page Biggrin.gif

(just teasin ya ... sorta Tongue.gif )

Where do you all buy your liquid rollers at?

West Marine for me.. I'm sure you can get some online too

They have this cool website, maybe you haven't heard of it.. www.google.com Tease2.gif

I just googled liquid rollers, and think there are at least 5 retailers on the first page Biggrin.gif

(just teasin ya ... sorta Tongue.gif )

I've checked out Google once or twice...I'm just a cheap SOB and don't want to pay $10 shipping for something that costs $10! Biggrin.gif

The ramp at Kai Iwi is too steep & I had the same prob with the rub rail catching at the front and I found the only answer was to silicon the bunk beds. Don't back the trailer in too far; prime the fuel rail by turning the key on/wait/off/on again then let 'er go. It is no longer a problem. Retrieving is the same - the boy gives it a gentle nudge up under steam and I catch it with the hook, shout "Gotcha" & he cuts the motor. The silicon on the bunk carpet makes it a cinch to wind up.

Renew the silicon spray about every 4 weeks depending on use.

What does primming the fuel system do. Do you not crank it.

I also have a Dorsey on my SLXi and we have a steep ramp at our local lake. The boat not centering is a result of the steep ramp. Mine does the same thing. I need to try the liquid rollers but I have found that my boat consistanly settles on the drivers side lifting strake when on a steep ramp. I simply sit at the passenger's side back of the boat when the wife pulls the trailer out and pull a bit on the rear guide post. Kind of a pain but with a steep ramp it works and the boat settles in like it should.

I also have a Dorsey on my SLXi and we have a steep ramp at our local lake. The boat not centering is a result of the steep ramp. Mine does the same thing. I need to try the liquid rollers but I have found that my boat consistanly settles on the drivers side lifting strake when on a steep ramp. I simply sit at the passenger's side back of the boat when the wife pulls the trailer out and pull a bit on the rear guide post. Kind of a pain but with a steep ramp it works and the boat settles in like it should.

Now that I have my wife driving the boat onto the trailer, it centers up everytime. I keep telling myself that it's the 70lb difference in weight ;) that keeps the boat riding nice and level coming on the trailer when she is driving vs. me.

I was at a very steep ramp at Canyon Lake in San Antonio a couple weeks and had this problem.

I was backing the boat back, boat full of people and I hit something, boat/truck come to an abrupt stop with a loud "THUD" sound. Shocking.gif . Turns outs out the right under the water line the launch angle changed and my prop/rudder protector hit it and lifted the rear tires (tandem axle) off the ground. I was no where deep enough to float the boat, so we headed off.

/

/

/

Ramp Angle ~~> ____ /

We have the exact oposite problem at our ramp. It is too shallow, and the ramp is at an angle (sideways). So the boat never centers. What I do here is pull the boat up a little, and push and pull the back sideways to get it centered, then crack it up more. We rarely use this though, but it's across the street from our house so it's nice. For the other ramp we can use, (too steep), I crank the boat up all the way, pull the truck forward all the way, push it back and forth, then pull it out all the way. It usually settles when you go back and push the back end around.

Get any silicone spray, you don't have to buy "liquid rollers." Go to Autozone or AdvancedAuto or whatever, they should carry a spray. All liquid rollers is, is silicone spray.

Here's a related topic.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....=liquid+rollers

I haven't tried straight silicone spray on my bunks, but I know the liquid rollers spray dries onto the bunk carpet.. it doesn't seem "exactly" like silicone spray, though they may both act similar.

No scientific data here... not like we're talkin about buyin expensive stuff ;)

Either way - lube the bunks, it makes things go much more smoooothly Yes.gif