Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Putting The New Surfgate Actuators On A 2014 23 LSV

CharlieBeaU

Has anyone heard of putting the new Surfgate actuators on at 2014 23 LSV that has the old Lencos? My Lencos are actually still working just fine but I know it's a weak point. I have the boat in at the dealership right now and that came up in conversation. They hadn't heard of anyone doing it but also couldn't think of why it wouldn't work.

57 minutes ago, Bawshogg said:

The newer actuators are the hydraulic style. Is this want you mean or do you mean the "faster" lencos?

Not so much faster. It's more that I've heard they are better built and less problematic. My understanding is the first gen Lencos were actually designed for trip tabs and that there have been some reliability issues with them.

Although, you're right, the new actuators are supposed to be way faster which would be a nice upgrade in addition to being more reliable.

Edited by CharlieBeaU

What I've heard is that the "new" hydraulic style require a different brain box and it's not as simple as taking the old version off and putting the new version on. I just moved to boat to another location for a few days so I can't look right now, but I thought the old version was a 2 wire system and the new version is a 3 wire system. I would have your mechanic look very close at the wiring and compatibility from Lenco before going down the path of an actuator swap.

You might also want to verify the warranty coverage with your dealer so you know exactly how long they're covered...

• Like 2
Just now, mikeo said:

What I've heard is that the "new" hydraulic style require a different brain box and it's not as simple as taking the old version off and putting the new version on. I just moved to boat to another location for a few days so I can't look right now, but I thought the old version was a 2 wire system and the new version is a 3 wire system. I would have your mechanic look very close at the wiring and compatibility from Lenco before going down the path of an actuator swap.

You might also want to verify the warranty coverage with your dealer so you know exactly how long they're covered...

Good to know. Thanks. I'll definitely look into it carefully.

^^^^. Pretty sure he is on the money. The lencos you have a relatively cheap to replace and fairly simple to swap out. Chances of both failing at once is out of this galaxy. I'd probably just pick up another and keep it with the boat or in your truck if you are that worried about it.  Besides , a surfgate actuator won't RUIN your day on the water persey. 

Could still lean the boat if it won't open and if it sticks in the out position, just take the end off and spin it back in. 

• Like 4

The newer hydraulic actuators are a completely different system and control/feedback setup.

There isn't a feasible way to retrofit them to the older lenco setup.

The existing system in the boat cannot control them, etc.

Only possible way to do it would be to electrically convert the entire boat over to a MY15 setup. Mucho dinero.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
3 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

The newer hydraulic actuators are a completely different system and control/feedback setup.

There isn't a feasible way to retrofit them to the older lenco setup.

The existing system in the boat cannot control them, etc.

Only possible way to do it would be to electrically convert the entire boat over to a MY15 setup. Mucho dinero.

11 hours ago, Bawshogg said:

^^^^. Pretty sure he is on the money. The lencos you have a relatively cheap to replace and fairly simple to swap out. Chances of both failing at once is out of this galaxy. I'd probably just pick up another and keep it with the boat or in your truck if you are that worried about it.  Besides , a surfgate actuator won't RUIN your day on the water persey. 

Could still lean the boat if it won't open and if it sticks in the out position, just take the end off and spin it back in. 

All good points. Thanks guys. Sometimes it's just hard to leave good enough alone but in this case I think you're right. It's not worth the effort or cash to do the switch.