Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring question on batteries

Twitch02x

Boat is 2008 Malibu VLX

I want to move my cranking battery to the ski locker in the back and just have stereo battery up front in port locker.

My question is can i just wire the cranking battery straight to starter and save my self a long run of cable up to port locker to get to the perko switch.

i realize this would make it impossible to fully disconnect the cranking battery but im not to concerned with that.

this picture halfway shows my idea

perko.png

I shouldnt???

When the switch is on combine (1+2) wouldnt the stereo battery bank (2) be joined with starter battery bank (1).

Only thing it should affect is the ability to crank the boat only using the stereo battery bank.

Boat has to big deep cycle batteries for cranking and will have 4 more big deep cycle batteries for stereo.

Yes, you can connect a battery(s) directly, skipping the switch. On a small lake where a boat can be retrieved easily may not be a bad thing. But, for most boaters a switch system with a 2nd battery is a very good idea.

Steve B.

46 minutes ago, Twitch02x said:

Boat has to big deep cycle batteries for cranking and will have 4 more big deep cycle batteries for stereo.

That's a lot of batteries!  If you ran out of gas you could probably pull your spark plugs and cruise home on the starter motor - with the stereo blasting the whole time. :rofl:

Tell more about the amps, and pictures too.

8 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

That's a lot of batteries!  If you ran out of gas you could probably pull your spark plugs and cruise home on the starter motor - with the stereo blasting the whole time. :rofl:

Tell more about the amps, and pictures too.

Going to start a build thread soon but a quick jist of setup is this

1 SYN4 on 8 XS-650 in boats

2 SYN1's strapped on a 15" sub in ported box under driver helm.....unsure of sub as im trying to hold out for wetsounds new 15" they are coming out with

1 SD6 on 6 pro80s

4 batteries may be overkill but you wont catch me low on power:rockon:

Nothing about that spells overkill!

As long as you're in the planning stages you might check to see if any of your cabin speaker locations could be enlarged to fit 8" speakers.  MUCH better mid bass IMHO.

3 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Nothing about that spells overkill!

As long as you're in the planning stages you might check to see if any of your cabin speaker locations could be enlarged to fit 8" speakers.  MUCH better mid bass IMHO.

I have already looked into that and it would involve cutting seats and etc 

Not interested in doing all that, if its not loud  enough inside i may add more speakers in other locations.

Probably not worth cutting vinyl.  I wasn't suggesting it for loudness but more to cover the frequency gap between what the 6.5s can do well and what the woofer can do well.  There's a lot to be heard from 100 Hz to 500 Hz.  David or MLA could probably give you more precise numbers.

can you explain the reasoning for relocating the cranking bank to the back? Not saying its bad and dont do it, just looking to understand.

2nd, Im not clear on connecting the cranking bank to both the starter (directly) and one input post of the switch. 

24 minutes ago, MLA said:

can you explain the reasoning for relocating the cranking bank to the back? Not saying its bad and dont do it, just looking to understand.

2nd, Im not clear on connecting the cranking bank to both the starter (directly) and one input post of the switch. 

Currently have 2 exile batteries from academy and 2 interstate srm-29s.

Can only fit 4 batteries in the port locker.

I want to have 4 dedicated batteries for the radio that are all the same (for looks more or less). so plan is to buy 2 more of the cheaper batteries to match and move the other 2 to back for cranking.

It will be connected to side 1 post incase i ever need to combine the entire bank for cranking.

3 for the stereo and 1 for the starter - and one for the rabbit that ran down the hole??

Put them in identical battery boxes so you can't see they have different labels.  Save the locker for more fun stuff - like ballast or a keg.

Just now, minnmarker said:

3 for the stereo and 1 for the starter - and one for the rabbit that ran down the hole??

Put them in identical battery boxes so you can't see they have different labels.  Save the locker for more fun stuff - like ballast or a keg.

the batteries fit in the space directly between ski locker carpeted flap and rear seats, not losing much space

49 minutes ago, Twitch02x said:

It will be connected to side 1 post incase i ever need to combine the entire bank for cranking.

The is designed to this in its typical wiring configuration. What is the purpose of a not so traditional wiring scheme, if the combine feature is still wanted? 

In your present schematic of circumventing the common post, once the stereo bank goes dead, you have no tunes. You sure as heck do not want to introduce the alternator to 4 dead group-29 batteries. 

5 minutes ago, MLA said:

The is designed to this in its typical wiring configuration. What is the purpose of a not so traditional wiring scheme, if the combine feature is still wanted? 

In your present schematic of circumventing the common post, once the stereo bank goes dead, you have no tunes. You sure as heck do not want to introduce the alternator to 4 dead group-29 batteries. 

Only reason was to keep from have to make the run from rear battery bank up to the switch located under port locker. that will double the length the cranking power has to travel before it reaches the starter