Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Booms for V-Drives???

LarsJensen

Hi All

i spent my summers (80s and 90s) in a waterski show and also teaching new club members how to ski. The boom was essential. The boats I used back then were all direct drives. 

I just acquired a 2006 v-drive Sunscape and hope somebody has developed a boom for this boat. Has anyone had any success with a particular brand/model? Barefoot International has a product but it's pictured on a MasterCraft. I searched the Bu site and not much was learned from my search. 

Thanks in advance!

I've been thinking I'd like to get one too. I grew up using booms and am getting to the age were kids are showing up around my boat. So far what I've found are tower mount options and ski pylon options.

If you have a tower these look awesome http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fly-High-Pro-X-Deluxe-Tower-Boom-fits-1-7/8-2-dia-tube&i=10540 I remember the old one always in the way in the boat.

If you don't have a tower this might be a good option http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Barefoot-International-Quad-V-Drive-Boom&i=17996

If anyone has experience with either I'd love to hear it too.

We have a BI Quad V boom.  It works pretty well for barefooting but it's not the greatest thing out there for a few reasons.

1. Not much room behind it if you want to start in the boat and crawl out.
  2. Not as much height adjustability as with a DD and the floor-mounted pylon.
  3. It's not far enough forward to get you out of the spray at lower speeds.  This could be solved with 1-2 extensions I'm sure but that also adds leverage.
  4. It tends to spring back on falls more than booms I've used in DDs.  We solve this by tying it back to a rear cleat.

Also, I'm not sure if it works with the retractable pylons.  If there's a tower-mounted option available, I'd think that'd be better for the reasons I listed above.

I had a BI tower mount for my '06 Moomba OB-V with the round tube construction that was a good set up for the kids. Like UW said, mine did sit kind of rearward, it was adjustable but could be difficult to adjust. It did have the quick disconnect for the boom, but the base piece interfered with the trailer guide pole so it had to come off before reloading. Tried to convince the wife to beach it one time to remove the base piece so it wouldn't be lost over the side in rough water. To this day I still "play that card" in like situations! :fingerwag:

9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

We have a BI Quad V boom.  It works pretty well for barefooting but it's not the greatest thing out there for a few reasons.

1. Not much room behind it if you want to start in the boat and crawl out.
  2. Not as much height adjustability as with a DD and the floor-mounted pylon.
  3. It's not far enough forward to get you out of the spray at lower speeds.  This could be solved with 1-2 extensions I'm sure but that also adds leverage.
  4. It tends to spring back on falls more than booms I've used in DDs.  We solve this by tying it back to a rear cleat.

Also, I'm not sure if it works with the retractable pylons.  If there's a tower-mounted option available, I'd think that'd be better for the reasons I listed above.

it works with the retractable pylons.  Previous owner of my boat had a barefoot international quad v boom on it.  I've got a picture somewhere of the block mounted to my pylon.

Thanks for all the input. Will explore overtons. Haven't shopped there since the 80s. Use to get my Ski Limited, Bart's. , and Overtons catalog every season. Couldn't wait for them to come out!!!

Barefoot international manufacturing and shop is located in Milwaukee! Could be a fun day trip to check it out. 

I have a BI v-drive boom that works well for most. I need to get the height adjustable bracket to help lower it down for kids.

4 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

Barefoot international manufacturing and shop is located in Milwaukee! Could be a fun day trip to check it out. 

I have a BI v-drive boom that works well for most. I need to get the height adjustable bracket to help lower it down for kids.

That's a good idea on the field trip. I've forgotten that Mike Seipel has roots in the Milwaukee area. My daughter has volleyball tourneys there all the time so it warrants a visit between games. 

On 3/2/2017 at 6:12 AM, MalibuNation said:

You might want to check and see if Michiganboarder still has his.  I think it was for a 2004 23' Wakesetter.

Nope, sold it.

It was a BI V-drive boom with extension, worked great on my buddy's '04 23LSV.

On 3/4/2017 at 2:53 PM, LarsJensen said:

That's a good idea on the field trip. I've forgotten that Mike Seipel has roots in the Milwaukee area. My daughter has volleyball tourneys there all the time so it warrants a visit between games. 

Go during the day...