Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rehabbing a 2002 Wakesetter

BusterSaunders

45 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

... but still aftermarket right? There's no way it was mounted that way from the factory.

Definently aftermarket.

At some point they were getting water in the gas tank.  Possibly weighted on the side of a fuel vent could be the reason.

Edited by dlb
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, dlb said:

Definently aftermarket.

At some point they were getting water in the gas tank.  Possibly weighted on the side of a fuel vent could be the reason.

Yeah, thats a good thought. 

10 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Not likely a factory job

1% They had a meth head working for them the week your boat was finished 

LoL...

BusterSaunders

i have been thru my 99 SSLXI stem to stern. Very similar boat to yours.  There are a few things I would like to do next like replace my oil pan (as your post is one of those posts that keeps me awake) but overall working on my boat has been one of the best stress reliefs I have found. For the first year or two the ups guy was asking about my boat.  The last year or two have been just maintence which is bittersweet.

Here is a link to my first big thread.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3
49 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

BusterSaunders

i have been thru my 99 SSLXI stem to stern. Very similar boat to yours.  There are a few things I would like to do next like replace my oil pan (as your post is one of those posts that keeps me awake) but overall working on my boat has been one of the best stress reliefs I have found. For the first year or two the ups guy was asking about my boat.  The last year or two have been just maintence which is bittersweet.

Here is a link to my first big thread.

I just open your thread and said "Holy S***". This will be a great read. Thanks for sharing

Edit: Just finished your thread. Your boat turned out amazing. I will be referring to it often. First I will do what needs to be done to make it "sea worthy" but i will likely be tearing into it as deep as you did yours soon. Thanks again

Edited by BusterSaunders
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Ya, it's a water seperator, very similar to mine, but mine's mounted at the engine. Hope the meth dude is okay.

Steve B.

Yeah, I cant imagine who thought that was a good place to mount that. Ahh well, Just another place to patch

Edited by BusterSaunders
16 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

... but still aftermarket right? There's no way it was mounted that way from the factory.

16 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

my turn of the millennium sportster had a factory installed fuel/water separator but it was bolted to the fibex in the engine compartment - starbord forward.

I tore down some more today. The tower bolts had gotten loose over the years but were too seized to turn in or out. Ive been spraying penetrate on them for a month or better. Didnt help, i wrung both heads off. Ahh well, guess I'll drill them out.

6E0ACF96-A76A-4706-8E78-C46B46088B28.jpg

B989961F-E6C6-4E98-8306-23E40E96C79D.jpg

75434061-0084-461B-A2A7-F75BE9F2A9FE.jpg

I pulled the tower to also give it a new paint job. I'd like to powder coat it but i dont think Ill have the funds.

796B847B-E32D-4BF5-AFF6-3768273BA46D.jpg

1EAB3380-9F9B-4F50-804C-C15FDE5160DC.jpg

I also removed the windshield. The frame needs to be painted and figured it would be easier to refinish off the boat. Also one less thing in the way when fixing the gel coat.

2343D694-3356-4E5E-B96C-95AAD3F17554.jpg

Then took out the trunk, back seat and gas tank floor so I can replace the blower motor and hoses. I had a good helper today :)

7FD5CCE2-1427-4350-AEB0-B8B8E45DF6EC.jpg

96BDD5A9-4DBE-4B1D-B7BC-20BFFDD75CE3.jpg

Edited by BusterSaunders
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

I tore down some more today. The tower bolts had gotten loose over the years but were too seized to turn in or out. Ive been spraying penetrate on them for a month or better. Didnt help, i wrung both heads off. Ahh well, guess I'll drill them out.

6E0ACF96-A76A-4706-8E78-C46B46088B28.jpg

B989961F-E6C6-4E98-8306-23E40E96C79D.jpg

75434061-0084-461B-A2A7-F75BE9F2A9FE.jpg

I pulled the tower to also give it a new paint job. I'd like to powder coat it but i dont think Ill have the funds.

796B847B-E32D-4BF5-AFF6-3768273BA46D.jpg

1EAB3380-9F9B-4F50-804C-C15FDE5160DC.jpg

I also removed the windshield. The frame needs to be painted and figured it would be easier to refinish off the boat. Also one less thing in the way when fixing the gel coat.

2343D694-3356-4E5E-B96C-95AAD3F17554.jpg

Then took out the trunk, back seat and gas tank floor so I can replace the blower motor and hoses. I had a good helper today :)

7FD5CCE2-1427-4350-AEB0-B8B8E45DF6EC.jpg

96BDD5A9-4DBE-4B1D-B7BC-20BFFDD75CE3.jpg

Now would be the time to replace the speakers up front. Since your window is out. I somewhat have the same boat or atleast dash area. I was able to pull out the 4 hole speakers, but new speakers were 5 hole and I could'nt get to screw them in, need a pilot hole for new screws and couldnt get the drill bit cause the window is in the way, for now and they are 3M extreme double sided taped in place. Awesome boats by the way, I have a 98 sunsetter vlx.

Edited by Choiceind
error
  • Like 4

Great work! Love seeing the "keep on ripping it apart" approach; it will make for a good as new boat once you are done (can you ever be truly done?).  Your "good helper" pic made me LOL - my now 25 yr old was in the driver's seat of my Sanger at that age, steering, pushing buttons, having a great time, especially with the horn. Next time I went to drive I found he had spun one of the Air Guide speedo pointers around several times past the stop point. Still have the mangled gauge on my garage shelf! Enjoy your project and be proud!!

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Looks like you have made a lot of progress! Nice work so far. 

Were you planning on completely removing the water separator on the fuel line or just moving it? I'm by no means a mechanic but, I'd be nervous to just flat out remove it since it was installed at one point. Maybe move it into the engine compartment like other have mentioned theirs is located?

9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Can replace front speakers and possibly fix the vinyl on the dash where it looks like someone tried to peel it off at one point.

Looking good so far!

12 hours ago, Choiceind said:

Now would be the time to replace the speakers up front. Since your window is out. I somewhat have the same boat or atleast dash area. I was able to pull out the 4 hole speakers, but new speakers were 5 hole and I could'nt get to screw them in, need a pilot hole for new screws and couldnt get the drill bit cause the window is in the way, for now and they are 3M extreme double sided taped in place. Awesome boats by the way, I have a 98 sunsetter vlx.

Yeah it would be a good time. Honestly though, it was pretty simple to remove the windshield. Maybe 10 screws all together.

45 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Looks like you have made a lot of progress! Nice work so far. 

Were you planning on completely removing the water separator on the fuel line or just moving it? I'm by no means a mechanic but, I'd be nervous to just flat out remove it since it was installed at one point. Maybe move it into the engine compartment like other have mentioned theirs is located?

Luckily I know all the owners of the boat. I called my BF asking if he knew about it. Apparently at some point the boat was running rough. The mechanic found water in the tank likely from the gas station we all used on the way to the boat ramp. I'll keep the separator but will move it into the engine compartment and fix the holes in the transom. 

• Like 1

I hope you really don't mean paint when you say "paint". That would be sooo painful. Just use some compound with a rotating sander or orbital. It'll look good for the season.  I did that for 3 seasons ina row and  ow my boat is shiny!!

i love the helper!! 

9 hours ago, braindamage said:

I hope you really don't mean paint when you say "paint". That would be sooo painful. Just use some compound with a rotating sander or orbital. It'll look good for the season.  I did that for 3 seasons ina row and  ow my boat is shiny!!

i love the helper!! 

Paint what, the tower? The tower and windshield frame are way beyond compounding. Half the paint is gone from the windshield and a quarter from the tower. It needs paint, bad. 

Yes, it will be a pain but 400 grit paper, self etching primer and fresh black paint will make it look much better.

D1EB796D-904F-4523-991E-9C1119C6C5C6.jpg

75B9E0EB-8A5D-4ECF-9AEF-CDB96DF78AD0.jpg

2C6F2D93-7D6F-463D-9D9F-888B7E4FF6D1.jpg

Edited by BusterSaunders
  • Like 2

Soak those tower bolts in Kano Kroil (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc. aren't as effective as this stuff - I've busted stuff loose with this where others failed to work).  Once well soaked, crank down on it with a large set of vice grips...making sure they dig into the metal.  Turn and it should come loose.  A little heat wouldn't hurt either.  You probably don't need to drill it out.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
23 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Soak those tower bolts in Kano Kroil (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc. aren't as effective as this stuff - I've busted stuff loose with this where others failed to work).  Once well soaked, crank down on it with a large set of vice grips...making sure they dig into the metal.  Turn and it should come loose.  A little heat wouldn't hurt either.  You probably don't need to drill it out.

PB Blaster is my new favorite garage item. Can't beleive I didn't know about it until recently!

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

PB Blaster is my new favorite garage item. Can't beleive I didn't know about it until recently!

Kano Kroil is better.  I actually find PB Blaster to be barely any better than WD40.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Kano Kroil is better.  I actually find PB Blaster to be barely any better than WD40.

Ok, ill look for that stuff. I tried PB and Liquid Wrench before wringing the heads off. Thanks :thumbup: