Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rehabbing a 2002 Wakesetter

BusterSaunders

Looks like a wakesetter hull to me.

Don't use a extractor to remove the oil. You could have a major problem if you go down the dipstick(ask me how I know:whistle:). Keep the drain hose and use it!

• Like 1
Just now, jrvs23 said:

Looks like a wakesetter hull to me.

Don't use a extractor to remove the oil. You could have a major problem if you go down the dipstick(ask me how I know:whistle:). Keep the drain hose and use it!

10/4

34 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

That's likely exactly what happened. I had a bunch of crud around the hose on mine as well. I have it replaced with a standard plug now. I havent decided whether im going to replace with the easy drain hose or not. I may just use an external oil pump for changes. 

Maybe a better solution than my extra paint would be to fill the void between the fitting and pan with RTV to keep the debris out.  Or possibly a different style fitting, seems like Mercruiser uses something else.

Just now, MadMan said:

Maybe a better solution than my extra paint would be to fill the void between the fitting and pan with RTV to keep the debris out.  Or possibly a different style fitting, seems like Mercruiser uses something else.

Thats a good idea. The oil pan I replaced the old with changed the thread to the standard Chevy. It will still have the gap it looks like.

Capture_1.png

54 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Not an LXi. Looks like the 2002 Wakesetter with the wake hull. Does it have built in ballast?  Does yours have the rear facing seat behind the driver?

Steve B.

I have the center ballast and jump seats on both sides. I don't have the built in seat like the LXi. 

3 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

I have the center ballast and jump seats on both sides. I don't have the built in seat like the LXi. 

Two easiest ways to tell LXi vs Sunsetter/Wakesetter.  1.  Look where the windshield terminates.  It's flush.  Deck doesn't step down.  2.  Look at transom.  It's stepped on the LXi.

103381_0_070320091729_0.jpg?t=1236293840

man, I wanna get my hands on that thing with some wet sanding and a serious polish. It pains me. LOL

Props for rehabbing it though! Always good to see someone save a watersports boat. Special place in my heart for them.

49 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Two easiest ways to tell LXi vs Sunsetter/Wakesetter.  1.  Look where the windshield terminates.  It's flush.  Deck doesn't step down.  2.  Look at transom.  It's stepped on the LXi.

Standard Wakesetter for sure then. Thanks

CC97A9FA-C045-4CC5-AEDB-322BAB0FB47C.jpg

AD9BC4C7-D24A-46DF-A152-7832D843D057.jpg

Edited by BusterSaunders
46 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

man, I wanna get my hands on that thing with some wet sanding and a serious polish. It pains me. LOL

Props for rehabbing it though! Always good to see someone save a watersports boat. Special place in my heart for them.

LOL yeah. It actually polished up pretty well with a good polisher and some 3M fine cut. I tested a small area in the fall. I plan on getting heavy cut as soon as the weather breaks and get after this thing!

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Almost my exact boat and color scheme. Although my trunk has the gold/yellow instead of just blue/gray like this one.

Steve B.

5 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

A little work done today. Remember when I told you the teak deck was coated in poly? It was also done in place...

8416A387-85FD-4B5F-B2ED-06C53BB5D5D1.jpg

No worries. A little wet sanding cleaned that right up. I didnt have time to buff it, it is also 45 degrees outside.

81E72149-C065-487E-8B68-5EA8D43A0C11.jpg

I had to throw on the refinished swim deck to see how it looked. Not bad, not bad

AA44E1C9-37E3-42B9-96B1-857E327694D6.jpg

D876FB9D-BCBF-4053-89C2-9C4537AE73E7.jpg

Looks good dude!  What are those screws through the transom above the M in Malibu for though?  Those aren't standard...

Edited by UWSkier
11 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Looks good dude!  What are those screws through the transom above the M in Malibu for though?  Those aren't standard...

I tried to check out those screws this morning but it was 5:30a, dark and was late for work. I didn't have time to pull out the divider but ill try and get in there tonight if i can. You're right though, it doesn't look standard.

On 3/2/2017 at 9:22 PM, UWSkier said:

On 3/3/2017 at 8:52 AM, martinarcher said:

Yeah, those a certainly not stock.  Will be interesting to see what's behind them.

So it looks like a fuel filter. Again i had to run to work quickly but was able to snap a few pics. That's not factory right?

82C788EC-9A85-43C5-925B-06BCF75059DB.jpg

Parts are starting to roll in!! First couple boxes from Bakes Online showed up last night

E63B4522-8B72-4BFB-B54F-C17C4511B085.jpg

Edited by BusterSaunders
40 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

So it looks like a fuel filter. Again i had to run to work quickly but was able to snap a few pics. That's not factory right?

Definitely not stock! Couldn't tell you why it was done. It is something I would think you could correct.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

That is a water separator.  You will need to clean it out and probably replace the canister.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dlb said:

That is a water separator.  You will need to clean it out and probably replace the canister.

... but still aftermarket right? There's no way it was mounted that way from the factory.