Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rehabbing a 2002 Wakesetter

BusterSaunders

I pulled the prop and everything looks ok. I didnt think I sheared a key but needed to be sure. We'll see what ACME says.

Started a thread about the prop incase anyone has seen this before. I'm beginning to worry how its going to act when the boat is loaded.

Thanks to help in the Maintenance/Mods section I believe I may be low on transmission fluid and that's what is causing my slipping.  I won't get to test again till next weekend. Here's hoping!

50B00A38-848C-4A15-91D9-C40908238339.jpg

I pumped about 14oz out of the transmission. After filling with fresh, bringing the motor to temp, check & fill again, run, check... It looks like I was a pint low. That definitely seems to have been my slipping problem. I'll know for sure when I get it backing the water.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't I have a transom plug? I know the boat ran aground years ago and messed up a few things near the back. I assume thats why the prop and rudder were aftermarket. I wonder if they glassed over the plug.

8795B7C4-A5BE-4773-BA98-5486E509C3BC.jpg

That would be my guess.  I have an 02 VLX, and it has the transom plug right there where you took the picture.  I do believe reading somewhere though about models not having them, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Upgrade for the trailer winch. #2000 Fulson F2 and a can of Liquid Rollers. This aught to help loading and unloading.

8EEFB61F-43DB-4680-98C1-4DEAAB9C32B1.jpg

Helper

5A56C61E-A7FA-4B3C-BB5B-3C0AF23EFB44.jpg

25490C2A-0EC0-48B2-9740-9E9AE370D105.jpg

Edited by BusterSaunders
  • Like 2
On 6/5/2017 at 5:26 AM, BusterSaunders said:

Am I missing something? Shouldn't I have a transom plug? I know the boat ran aground years ago and messed up a few things near the back. I assume thats why the prop and rudder were aftermarket. I wonder if they glassed over the plug.

8795B7C4-A5BE-4773-BA98-5486E509C3BC.jpg

Is that a crack in the gel below the exhaust (port side) ?

Just now, Choiceind said:

Is that a crack in the gel below the exhaust (port side) ?

Yep. I need to grind it out and patch it. I bet thats where they did some fiberglass work. If they did any, it could just be a stress crack. I have a couple around the tower mounts too

Edited by BusterSaunders
4 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

Yep. I need to grind it out and patch it. I bet thats where they did some fiberglass work. If they did any, it could just be a stress crack. I have a couple around the tower mounts too

I have a little one too, same tower, basically same boat.

a couple new parts. Ready for the weekend for more testing! These fixed the 10* swing in the water temp and the fluctuating oil pressure.

7EE27E5C-4BA6-4CC8-9760-EB5C30712C3A.jpg

82579EBE-DAE9-457A-8831-B6E8344A931C.jpg

• Like 1
On 6/8/2017 at 5:13 PM, BusterSaunders said:

Upgrade for the trailer winch. #2000 Fulson F2 and a can of Liquid Rollers

Put some liquid roller on my bunks memorial day weekend  , man was i surprised at the difference it made! Never used this stuff before but it is a game changer!! 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, 90oldskool said:

Put some liquid roller on my bunks memorial day weekend  , man was i surprised at the difference it made! Never used this stuff before but it is a game changer!! 

Same here. I sprayed some on just before pulling the boat. I only let it dry for 5 min, probably needed longer, but I could pull the boat to the roller with one hand. Slick stuff, literally. I was even able to slide the boat up another inch out of the water. 

• 2 months later...