Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rehabbing a 2002 Wakesetter

BusterSaunders

Whoa, that brings back memories and skinned knuckles.

Check this thread, almost to the end.  I have some photos where I was able to cut the manifold enough to get it loose

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Check this thread, almost to the end.  I have some photos where I was able to cut the manifold enough to get it loose

Wow! Yep, I have the exact same problem x 4. I'll try heat as well but i assume i have a lot of cutting to do

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

Looks like you cut back an inch or so to get to a "good" section right? I wonder if i can take a cutting wheel and cut through the manifold cutting the last inch off the bolts where hopefully the rust stops.

Man, that looks awful.  What causes the corrosion?  I was lucky with my engine overhaul in 2013, I did not have any issues getting the manifolds off, zero rust/corrosion and that boat was neglected before I got it.

7 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Man, that looks awful.  What causes the corrosion?  I was lucky with my engine overhaul in 2013, I did not have any issues getting the manifolds off, zero rust/corrosion and that boat was neglected before I got it.

The boat spent plenty of time in brackish water. From what I know the engine was flushed each time and the exterior sprayed or washed. I'm sure the culprit is two leaky riser gaskets. The path for the leak is directly into those last 4 bolts. It looks like a mechanic at some point put high temp silicone around a few riser bolts. Hmm... the gasket was only $10. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

Looks like you cut back an inch or so to get to a "good" section right? I wonder if i can take a cutting wheel and cut through the manifold cutting the last inch off the bolts where hopefully the rust stops.

Once we hit it with the cutting wheel, it went pretty fast.   The fused area was limited to the outer part of the bolt and the head of the bolt.   Since you are not trying to save the old manifolds, I would skip the heat and just cut them off.

• Like 1
Just now, Bozboat said:

Once we hit it with the cutting wheel, it went pretty fast.   The fused area was limited to the outer part of the bolt and the head of the bolt.   Since you are not trying to save the old manifolds, I would skip the heat and just cut them off.

That's what I plan to do now. I put some heat on them last night and shot with penetrant. Got no where.  I'll try cutting the outer 1" off the bolts and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help

26 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Buster

After I cut my manifold off I cut it open to see what was inside.  Here is that thread, just in case you want to keep cutting into them:

A good discussion. I winterized with antifreeze this season but I am not sure what was done for the other 14 winters :/ I'm just as worried about what's in the block but there's nothing I can do about it. I guess run it till it dies. I did find a blockage in the starboard aft plastic elbow. That was the only full block I saw. The risers ran cool in the fall.

5D60010B-95DE-465D-8614-A3BB3524CBC5.jpg

Starboard side off as well! I didnt even fuss with the bad heads on this one. Just cut the bolts right in half through the manifold. The studs came out finger tight.

25422BD1-F92C-46A9-AD2A-86C5E71E32D6.jpg

12 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

WOW those are in rough shape. Good job on all of this. I'm also working on a project boat that's from NC... It's a lot of work. More work than it looks like, frankly.

Thanks and good luck on your project.

1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

Great work keep it up 

Thanks! It's a labor of love for sure. It's been slower paced than I wanted. Though with a 14 mo old running around and a wife  5 months pregnant, sometimes the boat is 2nd, 3rd or 10th on the list. 

55 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

Thanks! It's a labor of love for sure. It's been slower paced than I wanted. Though with a 14 mo old running around and a wife  5 months pregnant, sometimes the boat is 2nd, 3rd or 10th on the list. 

oh I know what ya mean man. Everything seems to take way longer than it should.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

Ooooo, shiny...

AC7ABC61-9983-475F-AF95-1795C3688DCF.jpg

Those are a thing of beauty.  When I got my ACME 425 brand new in box last year I just kept holding it, putting it down, picking it back up, flipping it over, spinning it around, picking it back up, etc.  Installed it, and by the end of the season it was that dingy grey color.:(