Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rehabbing a 2002 Wakesetter

BusterSaunders

10 hours ago, RudyMuller said:

Grind it down and weld a 3/4 inch nut on the end. That will give you a bigger wrench option, plus leverage. 

leverage isnt the issue. The bolt is starting to twist. It will break if I dont free it up somehow. I'll try heat next

Edited by BusterSaunders
Just now, racer808 said:

If you need, I have a brand new fuel sender sitting in the box I never used for my 2002 vlx

awesome, I'll shoot you a PM if i need one. I need to test it, the gauge is busted too :(

9 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

awesome, I'll shoot you a PM if i need one. I need to test it, the gauge is busted too :(

Well crap, you missed out on those & had two I just sold.  I shot the guy who bought them a message, see if other ones are working, maybe he can hook you up

Edited by racer808

Looks like an awesome project. What paint did you use for the windshield frame? How difficult was it to remove the windshield?

When you're finished with the major stuff, get yourself some new registration numbers from Domednumbers.com to really clean up the look.

1 minute ago, Chatty21VLX said:

Looks like an awesome project. What paint did you use for the windshield frame? How difficult was it to remove the windshield?

When you're finished with the major stuff, get yourself some new registration numbers from Domednumbers.com to really clean up the look.

Im going to try Rustoleum spray cans and see how it turns out. If it looks terrible i will send them off to powder coat. The windshield was super easy. There's a weather stripping at the bottom outside of the frames. Remove that and you have access to #8 screws holding the frame to the hull. 

Still pluggin' away here crew. I power washed the carpet areas. I will likely do it another time or two. At the same time I'm giving the vinyl a deep clean. most of it is coming out good but I still have some stubborm stains. I think I'll order some Vinyl Sauce and try that as well as a magic eraser. 

I got a quote today to blast and powder coat the tower for $380. Seems like an ok price to me. I'll prob throw in the windshield frames in too

1 hour ago, BusterSaunders said:

Still pluggin' away here crew. I power washed the carpet areas. I will likely do it another time or two. At the same time I'm giving the vinyl a deep clean. most of it is coming out good but I still have some stubborm stains. I think I'll order some Vinyl Sauce and try that as well as a magic eraser. 

I got a quote today to blast and powder coat the tower for $380. Seems like an ok price to me. I'll prob throw in the windshield frames in too

Seems like a great price, considering they are $2000 new. 

• Like 2

Working on the vinyl a little while its cold out. I have a few holes I needed to patch up. I ordered a 3M vinyl patch kit

D0B9BA90-FE4D-4F00-BED8-3748DBDCFBA9.jpg

12C5E62C-D848-4541-9B45-389BF7EF5800.jpg

6B605E9A-147D-4476-AB65-FFF2499DAE99.jpg

I cut pieces of cloth for a backing material for the bigger holes and filled them with the supplied vinyl adhesive. The adhesive worked great and should stop the holes from growing, though it takes 4-5 hrs to fully cure.

8236AD34-7423-465B-8897-19F644B9479F.jpg

5565D035-3276-463A-B13D-40F46B997F1F.jpg

The next day i tried to match the vinyl color with the top coat. They supply all the primary colors needed. I failed at matching the color haha, but the hole is "patched". I think i will sand it down a bit and try to match the color better.

03042FCC-837E-473C-97B8-325BBF87F8D9.jpg

I also finally tried a magic eraser on the stubborn areas. I know many had warned against it but have tried everything, bleach mix, degreaser, Starbrite cleaner... these made the vinyl much better but nothing like what the eraser did. I mean come on, the vinyl is 16 yrs old. It was worth a shot. I'm glad I tried it. Check out the perforated vinyl section

7FC9ABCD-0459-4263-AC2A-FF94494A6358.jpg

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Wow, came out nice!  I need to repair a few dings also but was hesitant, now you've convinced me to do the same.

It looks much better in person. I think with a little more time spent on color matching I could blend it perfectly. This was my first attempt at this

I took a leap and tore the windshield apart today. It's stressful as I have no idea where to find new gasket material should I tear one and sure dont wanna pay for new glass if I broke one of the curved pieces. All went well. I will drop these off at the powder coat place with the tower tomorrow. 

40582071-E677-4A40-A308-5C4ECCF556B1.jpg

8A16CB4E-5EFD-4428-B803-03D83C2B1151.jpg

8297E167-146C-4E4E-B37F-AA79B1CE853C.jpg

442F6823-F424-41E5-9BAD-F9031DD991BF.jpg

I tried to get the seized bolts out of the tower. 1 for 2.... I think I'll over drill both of them and upgrade to the 1/2 inch tower knobs from greatlakesskipper.com 

15015AED-A628-4805-857A-C6A77CEDDE48.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, BusterSaunders said:

So it looks like a fuel filter. Again i had to run to work quickly but was able to snap a few pics. That's not factory right?

82C788EC-9A85-43C5-925B-06BCF75059DB.jpg

Water separating fuel filter, make sure you change the can.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:17 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

Looks like you have made a lot of progress! Nice work so far. 

Were you planning on completely removing the water separator on the fuel line or just moving it? I'm by no means a mechanic but, I'd be nervous to just flat out remove it since it was installed at one point. Maybe move it into the engine compartment like other have mentioned theirs is located?

I'd leave it where it is.  Ok, the bolts through the transom are weird, but they are already there and it is plumbed.

4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Water separating fuel filter, make sure you change the can.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

I'd leave it where it is.  Ok, the bolts through the transom are weird, but they are already there and it is plumbed.

Thanks. I'll definitely change the filter. I'd like to relocate it into the engine bay for easier maintenance. Though you're right, it is already plumbed. I may just epoxy a block in the transom and re mount it in its current spot. Atleast that way I could fix the holes. At any rate, its low on the list for now. 

3 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

Thanks. I'll definitely change the filter. I'd like to relocate it into the engine bay for easier maintenance. Though you're right, it is already plumbed. I may just epoxy a block in the transom and re mount it in its current spot. Atleast that way I could fix the holes. At any rate, its low on the list for now.

May be a dumb idea, but if you could powdercoat the heads of those bolts to something close to the grey on the transom you might not even notice them...just a thought.

• Like 1

Ugh.... Good and bad day today. More parts came in (Good), tower and windshield off to powdercoating (Good).

The Bad...

I went to install the new manifolds today. I attempted the port side first. Risers came off easy but I expected that as I had them off in the fall. I will need new exhaust hoses but thats not too bad. The bolts holding the heads on are rusted really really bad. The first two bolts came out easy. Second two stripped the heads, they didnt even budge and that was after PB Blaster since October. The last two were so rusted the heads looked like carriage bolts.

2E5F972F-7C84-4657-84D2-852636A055FC.jpg

So I removed the ones I could and cut the heads off what I couldnt

37B54227-5F74-42B0-86A9-DC4C1BB9EEF7.jpg

This is where progress stopped. The header bolts are rusted into the passages in the header and seized. There are four of them. I will surely have four more on the starboard side. I couldnt budge it with a 4' pipe. Its super frustrating. At least the boat was operable before. I was worried about the water jackets being plugged with rust. Rightly so but still...

58045801-FDC5-4A49-8B9C-AA122F5C859C.jpg

I'm at a loss what to do now. I think I'll try to split the header down the bolt passage so I can get penetrating lubricant to the whole bolt shaft. 

At least I got to buy a new tool for the job (Good) :) 

B4E6564B-068D-4A18-BFE9-0B119846C92B.jpg

Time for a beer...

Edited by BusterSaunders
  • Like 3