Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rehabbing a 2002 Wakesetter

BusterSaunders

I'm super excited about fixing this boat and being able to raise my kids on the water like I was.

• Like 2

I dropped a nice chunk of money at Banks Online in parts yesterday. New exhaust manifolds and risers, every single gas shock around the boat, misc Malibu specific parts. Its gunna be a busy spring.

• Like 2

That platform looks great! Very nice job. And kudos for taking over and keeping the boat going strong. I hope you and your family get many years of enjoyment out of it. How many hours are on her?

14 minutes ago, svnfightsvn said:

That platform looks great! Very nice job. And kudos for taking over and keeping the boat going strong. I hope you and your family get many years of enjoyment out of it. How many hours are on her?

Not sure. The LCD screen is unreadable. I would guess 600 - 800 hours based on the age and the use i think it has.

Great story. So nice that the boat ended up with an old friend with the desire and ability to bring it back to life.

Welcome to the crew. Enjoy the boat! You'll continue to make memories on it.

• Like 2

Great job!! I love the jeep-tree arrangement. 

You will put in some elbow greas and $ but probably not nearly what you'd spend if you bought it.

congratulations and awesome first post!!

• Like 2

Woah....

I just met a guy on FB who's educating me on the type of boat i actually have. I thought i had a VLX this entire time. It turns out its a Sunsetter LXi with the Wakesetter trim package. Must be the reason my tower is different than most that year. I also have the wedge which I hear wasnt standard on the VLX. Hmm...

Not an LXi.  The LXi is a Direct Drive.  You have a Sunsetter VLX... meaning we're boat buddies!  Congratulations on having one of the most sought-after, versatile towboats of all time!  :)

Good catch by your FB aquaintance though.  No wedge available on the SV23 Wake hull in 2001.

If you want to be sure, post a picture from a low angle of your transom that captures an outer chine.

Edited by UWSkier
5 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Sunsetter VLX... meaning we're boat buddies!  Congratulations on having one of the most sought-after, versatile towboats of all time!  :)

We can be buddies LOL, but do we have the same boat? Mines a straight drive with a wedge, thats what raised the question at first. Best i can gather is its a Sunsetter LXi "Pro Riders Edition"

Edited by BusterSaunders
10 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

We can be buddies LOL, but do we have the same boat? Mines a straight drive with a wedge, thats what raised the question at first. Best i can gather is its a Sunsetter LXi "Pro Riders Edition"

Wow.  My eyes are getting BAD if I didn't notice that's not a V drive.  Gaaah!

That boat was known as a number of different things over the years.  Yours is probably standard Wakesetter with no letters.  It has the tribal graphics, which started in 2002, so either it was a 2001 Sunkicker that got updated graphics, or your boat is a year newer than you remember.

It's definitely NOT the LXi.  You can tell by the deck and lack of rear trunk overhang.

• Like 1

I'm 100% sure that's a 2002 or newer Wakesetter.  It has a trunk so it can't be a 2001 Sunsetter or Sunkicker with updated graphics.

Final answer Bob.

Edited by UWSkier

I think you are right. Page 29 of the 2002 Brochure shows the Wakesetter with the same graphics. The Sunsetter had a stepped design in the gel graphic and the Wakesetter doesn't. The rear of the Tribal decal graphic interfered with the gel design with the stepped graphic. (I put that Tribal on my '01 SS Lxi and had that problem)The boat in that picture from the brochure has the old Titan but the Swoop on the OP's boat was available that year also.

2002 Malibu Brochure

• Like 1

You guys are great. So its probably a 2002 Wakesetter LXi. Looking at the 2002 brocure now I'm sure of it. Same tower and had jump seats. I think i need to go back and look at the title

Edited by BusterSaunders

When I had my engine out I noticed my oil was going to have the same problem.  It was about half way rusted through around the drain plug..  Debris was trapped between the hose fitting and the pan, keeping it wet.  On the replacement pan, I applied many, many coats of paint to that area.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, MadMan said:

When I had my engine out I noticed my oil was going to have the same problem.  It was about half way rusted through around the drain plug..  Debris was trapped between the hose fitting and the pan, keeping it wet.  On the replacement pan, I applied many, many coats of paint to that area.

That's likely exactly what happened. I had a bunch of crud around the hose on mine as well. I have it replaced with a standard plug now. I havent decided whether im going to replace with the easy drain hose or not. I may just use an external oil pump for changes. 

Dont think its its an LXi, If you're looking in the resources here, go to page 9, than look at the wakesetter lxi pics, the stern has the notch in it just below the swim step. And it also says its the sv23 diamond. Your pic does not have the notch, so its most likely just the wakesetter

I think the first 4 or 5 letters of the hull ID should give you a definitive answer on what you've got there.  I thought there was a tool on this site at one point where you could translate it. That looks like a fun project.  Good luck!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Choiceind said:

Dont think its its an LXi, If you're looking in the resources here, go to page 9, than look at the wakesetter lxi pics, the stern has the notch in it just below the swim step. And it also says its the sv23 diamond. Your pic does not have the notch, so its most likely just the wakesetter

Huh... I guess it has the notch for more trunk space. I'm at work so cant get a quick pic but I'm 99% sure I dont have that bump.

BC0B1E26-DE0E-4333-B223-32BB7CE26570.png

1 minute ago, Cap305 said:

I think the first 4 or 5 letters of the hull ID should give you a definitive answer on what you've got there.  I thought there was a tool on this site at one point where you could translate it. That looks like a fun project.  Good luck!

Thanks. Now to find the HIN....

Just now, Cap305 said:

Should be on the outer transom in the gelcoat.  They may stamp it elsewhere but I think that's where mine is.  

You know I think i remember that now