Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 23 LSV Build

Fffrank

My new-to-me-last-year 2004 was purchased with a nearly stock stereo.  I knew when I was shopping that whatever I ended up with would be gutted and I'd start from scratch.  I also wanted to document it on here so that all of the knowledge that comes with this forum can help me when I swerve left instead of right.

Goal #1 - Electrical.  Remove and replace batteries, switches and wiring.  

Before (batteries already removed):

20170228_215933.jpg

After. This space will be reclaimed as storage:

20170228_225022.jpg

Batteries are going to be relocated under the gunnel on the port side.  (2) x 120AH AGMs for the stereo bank, (1) x H8 AGM for the starting battery.  It saves so much room not having to use boxes with the AGMs.  If I had known in advance how well this Wal-Mart H7 AGM fits, I probably would have gone with (3) of these.  It's 95AH but I had already ordered some larger ones which will go to the left of this one.  Cables will all be routed in the space behind the batteries.

20170228_215956.jpg

Edited by Fffrank
  • Like 2

Electrical control/charging system.  I'm still working on the exact layout that I like, but leaning towards the 1st option as it gives me plenty of room to run wires to the PERKO-style switch.  The only downside is that it makes it more difficult to fish wire at a later time with the charger covering that gap between the batteries and the spotter seat support.  

Option 1:

20170228_225443.jpg

Option 2:

20170228_225337.jpg

Option 3 -- Probably too tight for the selector switch unless I can safely run cables out the bottom:

20170228_215946.jpg

All cabling will be 0/1 gauge w/ crimp terminations until the distribution block at the amp rack.  I'll continue to post as I work on that.

• Like 2

Stereo batteries came in and fit just perfect.....  I'll be adding a couple of spacers under them to prevent any moisture damage.

dJzF7Dy.jpg

One little problem, though....

Vyyl068.jpg

UZG0ZTP.jpg

UPS wasn't too kind to that one.  I'll need to wait another week for the replacement to arrive.

In the meantime, I started what seems like the never-ending cabling.  I removed the factory starter cable and grounds and ran new 0-gauge feeders.  These will be routed around the transom and below the gunnel instead of through the factory location.  I didn't see the logic in running them back into the spotter storage area when I can have a shorter run straight to the perko switch.

I didn't get any photos of that, but I can tell I'm making progress because I've made a huge mess and have lugged cables running everywhere right now.

JhrWtmS.jpg

• Like 2