Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  

2004 23 LSV Build

Recommended Posts


My new-to-me-last-year 2004 was purchased with a nearly stock stereo.  I knew when I was shopping that whatever I ended up with would be gutted and I'd start from scratch.  I also wanted to document it on here so that all of the knowledge that comes with this forum can help me when I swerve left instead of right.

Goal #1 - Electrical.  Remove and replace batteries, switches and wiring.  

Before (batteries already removed):


After. This space will be reclaimed as storage:


Batteries are going to be relocated under the gunnel on the port side.  (2) x 120AH AGMs for the stereo bank, (1) x H8 AGM for the starting battery.  It saves so much room not having to use boxes with the AGMs.  If I had known in advance how well this Wal-Mart H7 AGM fits, I probably would have gone with (3) of these.  It's 95AH but I had already ordered some larger ones which will go to the left of this one.  Cables will all be routed in the space behind the batteries.



Edited by Fffrank

Share this post

Link to post

Electrical control/charging system.  I'm still working on the exact layout that I like, but leaning towards the 1st option as it gives me plenty of room to run wires to the PERKO-style switch.  The only downside is that it makes it more difficult to fish wire at a later time with the charger covering that gap between the batteries and the spotter seat support.  

Option 1:


Option 2:


Option 3 -- Probably too tight for the selector switch unless I can safely run cables out the bottom:



All cabling will be 0/1 gauge w/ crimp terminations until the distribution block at the amp rack.  I'll continue to post as I work on that.

Share this post

Link to post

I don't have much to add on the layout but that is a really great idea on battery location. I might have to take a look at that on my boat. 

Share this post

Link to post

I like the first layout the best,  gives you the most bending radius with the battery switch and the ACR.

Share this post

Link to post

Stereo batteries came in and fit just perfect.....  I'll be adding a couple of spacers under them to prevent any moisture damage.


One little problem, though....



UPS wasn't too kind to that one.  I'll need to wait another week for the replacement to arrive.

In the meantime, I started what seems like the never-ending cabling.  I removed the factory starter cable and grounds and ran new 0-gauge feeders.  These will be routed around the transom and below the gunnel instead of through the factory location.  I didn't see the logic in running them back into the spotter storage area when I can have a shorter run straight to the perko switch.

I didn't get any photos of that, but I can tell I'm making progress because I've made a huge mess and have lugged cables running everywhere right now.


Share this post

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Create New...