Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Multifunction Gauge Issues and Replacement Options

earleym

I purchased a 2001 Sunsetter VLX back in December and when I was combing over it, I noticed that the multi-function gauge is not working properly.  It appears the servo inside for the gas and battery portions are not functioning.  The gas portion will flutter but do nothing more and the voltmeter is completely dead.  That being said, I was digging around have learned that the MDC is a weak point in the system and that they tend to have issues around the age of my boat.  As I am tinkering with getting things sorted before the warm weather gets here, I came across the TRD - Medallion Conversion Kit that bypasses the MDC.  It is cheaper than replacing the multi-function and MDC collectively and I am considering going this route to avoid future issues.  I am curious if anyone has any experience with these conversion kits.  Any insight the collective community can provide would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.skiboatpartsonline.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_112&product_id=374

First off, the MDC isn't really unreliable.  The issue that typically kills them is water intrusion from the Pitot system.  Water gets in it and destroys the MDC.  I converted mine to GPS so I could bypass the system:

http://www.nauticlaugic.com/NL2.html

Next, the gauge.  Here is the cluster, 10% off for TMC paid members:

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1375

Thanks for the insight Nitrousbird and MadMan.  With the new cluster gauge and GPS gauge I am not far off of the price of the conversion kit...I am strongly considering the conversion and possibly selling the used MDC here to a crew member...Still debating...

2 hours ago, earleym said:

Thanks for the insight Nitrousbird and MadMan.  With the new cluster gauge and GPS gauge I am not far off of the price of the conversion kit...I am strongly considering the conversion and possibly selling the used MDC here to a crew member...Still debating...

Do you have Perfect Pass?  That kit is only good with a PP setup.  Basically it is the multifunction gauge and tach.  

I have a GPS PP but used that to replace my tach that failed. The gauges in that kit don't look at good as the OEM stuff. 

I do have a perfect pass.  It had been used as a replacement for the original tach.  I was considering the multi, and tach and ditching the speedometer and the corresponding pitot tubes...

Edited by earleym

Before you replace the gauge system. You might check your fuel sending unit. They are known for not having the longest life span. 

Your volt meter may also be a corroded connection.

Just throwing ideas out before you dump un-needed funds on a big switch. 

5 hours ago, Chia said:

if you are going to replace, why not replace with a tablet. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autodiagnosticsandpublishing.OBD2dashboard1

is one option of many out there. I searched tablet car dashboard.

i suspect this obd2 signal/conversation/message will differ from the marine ecm message.

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...

Reviving this thread. Several of the gauges in my multi-gauge seemed to fail at or around the same time.  The oil pressure had been "bouncy" since I first bought the boat around July '21, and then in July this year (2022) we noticed the temp gauge was pegged (hot) AND the fuel gauge was pegged (full).  The TRD options look like perfect drop-ins, including both the Faria Beede multi-gauge version and their own custom version.  But, > $750 including the multi-gauge, tachometer, and custom wiring harness, it 'aint cheap.  I don't need a new tach, and the 5" Faria Beede multigauge was $160 on Amazon.  I was hoping TRD might sell me their custom harness (I would have paid $150 or maybe even more for it), but called and they won't sell just the harness.   They were also back-ordered with their replacement gauge sets - my guess is there are a ton of people like me who's gauges are dying about now on these 20+ y.o. boats.   So, my question here is: has anyone done their own DIY replacement of just the Faria Beede multi-gauge?  How did you adopt the wiring harness?   (which wires were associated with each sensor in the Malibu wiring harness?)   I had purchased an Indmar manual, but it unfortunately does not include a wiring diagram that includes the sensor/gauge wires.   I may try calling Malibu, but wanted to check here if anyone may have already figured it out. Thanks!

Edited by mtbhead

I removed medallion and fitted TRD kit a year ago. No regrets. Yes it's more $ than another brand multi gauge alone, but at US$750ish it's around same cost as just a Malibu multigauge and for the spend I got new multi guage, new GPS speedo and very easy fit wiring harness and zero chance of pricey future medallion replacement. Worth it. I've sent you a message with more detail. 

3 hours ago, mtbhead said:

Reviving this thread. Several of the gauges in my multi-gauge seemed to fail at or around the same time.  The oil pressure had been "bouncy" since I first bought the boat around July '21, and then in July this year (2022) we noticed the temp gauge was pegged (hot) AND the fuel gauge was pegged (full).  The TRD options look like perfect drop-ins, including both the Faria Beede multi-gauge version and their own custom version.  But, > $750 including the multi-gauge, tachometer, and custom wiring harness, it 'aint cheap.  I don't need a new tach, and the 5" Faria Beede multigauge was $160 on Amazon.  I was hoping TRD might sell me their custom harness (I would have paid $150 or maybe even more for it), but called and they won't sell just the harness.   They were also back-ordered with their replacement gauge sets - my guess is there are a ton of people like me who's gauges are dying about now on these 20+ y.o. boats.   So, my question here is: has anyone done their own DIY replacement of just the Faria Beede multi-gauge?  How did you adopt the wiring harness?   (which wires were associated with each sensor in the Malibu wiring harness?)   I had purchased an Indmar manual, but it unfortunately does not include a wiring diagram that includes the sensor/gauge wires.   I may try calling Malibu, but wanted to check here if anyone may have already figured it out. Thanks!

This one is brand new, not used.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of any shops that will repair the multi-gauges?  My Malibu mechanic thought that Medallion did this, but I checked and they do not.  Understand it can be done and the stepper motors that usually fail are inexpensive.  Takes some special skills and a solder-sucker, but should cost less than the ~$750 that Bakes and others are now getting.  I have some old gauges that I'd repair if that was possible.

Also, sometimes when my gauges are not working right, I turn off the ignition and re-start, after which the gauge behaves.  What do you think this means?  Seems to me maybe a grounding problem somewhere, but I've not been able to find it.  Wondering if this happening is a sign that the gauge is starting to go, or is it just a typical "abnormal behavior" that others have seen?  Seems like I've been having this behavior with my tachometer for quite awhile on and off.

Edited by RichC
8 hours ago, RichC said:

Also, sometimes when my gauges are not working right, I turn off the ignition and re-start,

If it's not the grounds, it's the safety switch and ignition switch