Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
earleym

Multifunction Gauge Issues and Replacement Options

earleym

I purchased a 2001 Sunsetter VLX back in December and when I was combing over it, I noticed that the multi-function gauge is not working properly.  It appears the servo inside for the gas and battery portions are not functioning.  The gas portion will flutter but do nothing more and the voltmeter is completely dead.  That being said, I was digging around have learned that the MDC is a weak point in the system and that they tend to have issues around the age of my boat.  As I am tinkering with getting things sorted before the warm weather gets here, I came across the TRD - Medallion Conversion Kit that bypasses the MDC.  It is cheaper than replacing the multi-function and MDC collectively and I am considering going this route to avoid future issues.  I am curious if anyone has any experience with these conversion kits.  Any insight the collective community can provide would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.skiboatpartsonline.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_112&product_id=374

MadMan

I had a similar problem, except it was just my fuel gauge.  My solution was to install an under dash, ~$20 stand alone fuel gauge. But I'm real cheap.

BusterSaunders

Subbed...

I have the same issue with the fuel portion of the multi gauge on my '01. Id love to see what you find

Nitrousbird

First off, the MDC isn't really unreliable.  The issue that typically kills them is water intrusion from the Pitot system.  Water gets in it and destroys the MDC.  I converted mine to GPS so I could bypass the system:

http://www.nauticlaugic.com/NL2.html

Next, the gauge.  Here is the cluster, 10% off for TMC paid members:

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1375

earleym

Thanks for the insight Nitrousbird and MadMan.  With the new cluster gauge and GPS gauge I am not far off of the price of the conversion kit...I am strongly considering the conversion and possibly selling the used MDC here to a crew member...Still debating...

Nitrousbird
2 hours ago, earleym said:

Thanks for the insight Nitrousbird and MadMan.  With the new cluster gauge and GPS gauge I am not far off of the price of the conversion kit...I am strongly considering the conversion and possibly selling the used MDC here to a crew member...Still debating...

Do you have Perfect Pass?  That kit is only good with a PP setup.  Basically it is the multifunction gauge and tach.  

I have a GPS PP but used that to replace my tach that failed. The gauges in that kit don't look at good as the OEM stuff. 

earleym

I do have a perfect pass.  It had been used as a replacement for the original tach.  I was considering the multi, and tach and ditching the speedometer and the corresponding pitot tubes...

Edited by earleym

cowwboy

Before you replace the gauge system. You might check your fuel sending unit. They are known for not having the longest life span. 

Your volt meter may also be a corroded connection.

Just throwing ideas out before you dump un-needed funds on a big switch. 

tvano
5 hours ago, Chia said:

if you are going to replace, why not replace with a tablet. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autodiagnosticsandpublishing.OBD2dashboard1

is one option of many out there. I searched tablet car dashboard.

i suspect this obd2 signal/conversation/message will differ from the marine ecm message.