Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 22' MXZ vs 23' LSV

Nickleej17

I currently own a 2016 Axis T23 and plan on trading it in on either a 2017 22' MXZ or 23' LSV.  I primarily surf with a few wakeboard sessions and when friends have kids we will hook up the tube.  My question is which boat is the better surf boat? 

MXZ for the win, have you demoed the MXZ yet, it is the biggest surf wave I have ever seen, except for the M235 but that doesn count.  I am currently deciding on G23 or 22 MXZ, go demo it you will be surprised.

ahopkins22LSV

The 2017 mxz has a very good wave with pnp but so does the Lsv. And I'm tempted to say the Lsv will have a higher ceiling of potential due to the fact that just with stock ballast the mxz nose is easy to dip. It's much much better then the older generation but is still easier then the Lsv. The Lsv will also have a significantly larger lounge similar to your t23. The 22 mxz will feel small compared to both the t and the Lsv. 

To be honest you might want to take a gander at the 25 Lsv. It. Is. A. Beast. The wave is fantastic and we have thrown ALOT of weight it in and it only gets better. And the space is amazing. 

But for sure demo whatever ones are in your search criteria.

Ive been looking at the Nautique G23, but the price just seems to be getting out of control, Due to that I started looking at the Malibu line up again.  One feature i really like is the walk way of the Nautique G23, which is what brought my attention to the MXZ.  I have test driven the G23 and really like the 450 engine in it.   Not sure if the extra money of a Nautique is worth it.  

You won't be disappointed in either, but for 2017 the 22 MXZ surfs better than the 23 LSV for sure with stock MLS + PW2 + Plug n' Play. The new redesigned 22 MXZ has more MLS ballast out of the gate than the 23 LSV, and was designed to refine it's surf ability over its previous generation. The new 22 MXZ surf wave will mirror closest to the M235 out of the Malibu lineup. I was stoked when I got to drive and surf the 22 MXZ back in June 2016.

With that said, think about the hull cycle for the 23 LSV; 2005 through 2009, 2010 through 2013, 2014 through ???. I believe the hull is due for an update, given their updating timeline. When you factor Malibu's commitment of four new models / updates per model year, it even further makes sense for them to give the 23 LSV a make over for 2018.

20 VTX: 2016, redesign | 21 VLX: 2017, new boat | 22 VLX: 2015, new boat | 22 MXZ: 2017, redesign | 23 LSV: 2014, redesign | 24 MXZ: 2017, redesign | 25 LSV: 2016, new boat.

Something to keep an eye on if you end up waiting it out.

• Like 2

I traded my 2014 23LSV in on a 2017 22MXZ.  UpperLeftWake hit all the key details.

For 2017 the 22MXZ surfs better without a doubt IMO.  (yes, I've been behind the '17 MXZ)

For 2018 I do expect a new 23, but you never know.  I'm assuming the new 23 will slightly surf better than the 17 22MXZ, but I bet they'll be really close.  Keep in mind they'll only be 7-8" different in length and close in weight.  The question will be draft, but I don't see Malibu going to a deeper draft.

tjklein & upperleftwake,

What motor, prop, xtra balllast do you suggest?  Im in Iowa, so elevation is not an issue, but I'm looking for the very best surf wake.  Also if you can expand on what is the best settings?

thanks!

I demoed the 410 and the 450 with the standard prop.  IMO in Iowa (I used to live in Cedar Falls by the way) you'll be fine with the standard prop even if you have a decent crew and add the plug and play.  I think the standard plug and play and 200lbs of lead for the nose will be perfect.  I always figured I could try the standard prop and upgrade to a surf prop if need be.  Personally I hate to give up cruising speeds in my boat unless I have to.

Where are you buying from?  (dealer)

12 minutes ago, tjklein said:

I demoed the 410 and the 450 with the standard prop.  IMO in Iowa (I used to live in Cedar Falls by the way) you'll be fine with the standard prop even if you have a decent crew and add the plug and play.  I think the standard plug and play and 200lbs of lead for the nose will be perfect.  I always figured I could try the standard prop and upgrade to a surf prop if need be.  Personally I hate to give up cruising speeds in my boat unless I have to.

Where are you buying from?  (dealer)

What engine did you end up with?   Ill be buying form Hawkeye Boat Sales in Dubuque

Edited by Nickleej17
44 minutes ago, Nickleej17 said:

tjklein & upperleftwake,

What motor, prop, xtra balllast do you suggest?  Im in Iowa, so elevation is not an issue, but I'm looking for the very best surf wake.  Also if you can expand on what is the best settings?

thanks!

We're close to Sea Level so the 6.2L 410, 1.76:1 transmission, standard prop combination worked wonders for us. Here is the set-up I used:

-Speed 10.8 to 11.4

-MLS All Full

-Custom wakeMAKERS ballast bags in each locker, specifically designed for the 22 MXZ lockers since they're unique with "L" shaped MLS ballast tank.

-PW2. The more "vert", the higher the bow rise and taller the wave. The more "ramp", the lower the bow rise and longer the wave. My preference always feel somewhere in the middle, but keep an eye on where your passengers are situated as you definitely can manipulate the wave on the fly. I.e everybody sitting in the cabin, I'm going with more vert on the PW2.

-I didn't feel the need for any lead or ballast bag in the walk through or bow.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Nickleej17 said:

Ive been looking at the Nautique G23, but the price just seems to be getting out of control, Due to that I started looking at the Malibu line up again.  One feature i really like is the walk way of the Nautique G23, which is what brought my attention to the MXZ.  I have test driven the G23 and really like the 450 engine in it.   Not sure if the extra money of a Nautique is worth it.  

I have also been comparing the 2 boats, we have decided to go G23 based on fit and finish, overall resale value and just how much nicer the G is to drive and enjoy.  I think we are gonna suffer a little bit on wave as I think the MXZ wave is way taller and has more vert but the bow rise resembles the space shuttle on take off, plus basing a 100k plus decision on just wave seems foolish as surfing is not all we do on these boats.  We also demoed both the 410 and 450 in the MXZ and saw little to no difference aside from noise level and about 400 RPMS higher on the 410, in my opinion I would just go with the 410.  Now as for the G23 the H6 (450) is stock plus it was a quite as a Caddy not to mention how much more care it seems went into the build of these boats.  I am not pro Nautique by any means, I am coming our of a 2016 A22, just wanted alittle more room and a better all around boat and the price differences are not really that far off when you load up the MXZ with 450, G4, Flake, ETC.  

• Like 1

I'm really torn between Malibu and Nautique, I really love everything about the G23 except the price tag...My major concern is being proven true with many peoples comments regarding the lack of fit and finish with Malibu.  If I'm going to spend top money I expect the very best fit and finish.    

Edited by Nickleej17

I'd take some of the comments with a grain of salt too, there's a lot of very happy Malibu owners that don't say as much. Maybe not the best example because of the vintage but I've got a 2008 LSV, the year everyone says to stay away from if you read the forums for info on that year. It's been bulletproof since day one for the original owner and me, and everything you read that could be issues with that year have been non-issues for it.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Nickleej17 said:

I'm really torn between Malibu and Nautique, I really love everything about the G23 except the price tag...My major concern is being proven true with many peoples comments regarding the lack of fit and finish with Malibu.  If I'm going to send top money I expect the very best fit and finish.    

Fit and finish is usually top-notch.  If you want more billet aluminum or steel, then you gotta pay for it.  But if you are looking for really good general fit and finish, Malibu is fantastic.  Every single one of these types of boats is hand made, meaning there WILL be imperfections, regardless of brand.  That said, if one's fit and finished - which I assume is really appointments, rather than build quality - is defined by a $160,000 boat, the problem isn't the brand of the $80,000 boat, the problem is the price point. 

My dealer is both a Nautique and Malibu dealer, and I also was torn between 23 LSV, 25LSV, 22MXZ, and G23.  I ended up going MXZ all the way and got a loaded up build with the 410 for just north of 100K.  That was 30K cheaper than I could even begin to touch a G, and that was an immediate decision factor for me.  Don't get me wrong the G is so nice, but its not 30K more nice than the new MXZ.  

25LSV ended up being just more boat than I want to tow, store, and deal with.  Really wanted it, but  I finally made a conservative decision once in my life.  

23LSV was never an option this year as I know that 18 will be a refresh and I don't want a one year old boat that is "old", at least with this being the first year of the new MXZ, it will be a few years before a refresh.

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...

This thread came up when Googling the MKZ surf wave.  I thought I would bump it as there are a bunch of a good points here with members asking similar questions and comparing similar models.

We are heavily considering the 22MKZ in either a left over 18 or building a 19.  We are coming from our VLX in which we are looking for more room.  Still amazed how well the VLX surfs for a 21 boat...  We have ruled out the G23 as I have found like some, that the price delta is too steep for us.  Love the boat, just simply out of budget for us.  Tip of cap to those of you that went that direction - they are sweet.  Our other boats we are considering are the XT22 and XT23.  One of the dealer here in CLT is awesome as our closest family friends bought a boat from them.  Something tells me though - that I would be sacrificing surf capability regardless of what the MC dealer tells me.  I do think the MC cool feel interior is awesome and their GDI motor is top notch.

Lastly, are there are any haul or ballast changes from 17 / 18 MKZ to 19?  We are leaning more towards a 19 as the kids / family would absolutely devour the step down swim platform....:biggrin:

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

This thread came up when Googling the MKZ surf wave.  I thought I would bump it as there are a bunch of a good points here with members asking similar questions and comparing similar models.

We are heavily considering the 22MKZ in either a left over 18 or building a 19.  We are coming from our VLX in which we are looking for more room.  Still amazed how well the VLX surfs for a 21 boat...  We have ruled out the G23 as I have found like some, that the price delta is too steep for us.  Love the boat, just simply out of budget for us.  Tip of cap to those of you that went that direction - they are sweet.  Our other boats we are considering are the XT22 and XT23.  One of the dealer here in CLT is awesome as our closest family friends bought a boat from them.  Something tells me though - that I would be sacrificing surf capability regardless of what the MC dealer tells me.  I do think the MC cool feel interior is awesome and their GDI motor is top notch.

Lastly, are there are any haul or ballast changes from 17 / 18 MKZ to 19?  We are leaning more towards a 19 as the kids / family would absolutely devour the step down swim platform....:biggrin:

Isn’t the MKZ a Lincoln?

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Hull is the same for 19, and I believe all of the ballast is still the same. The MXZ line was refreshed in 2017 and hasn’t been since then. 

Biggest change is power wedge 3 and back to the GM motor blocks for 2019. Both very nice upgrades from 17&18 in my opinion.