Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

dealers bad at color schemes

RedOwl

I just had lunch with a friend (who likes a different brand of boat...) and he was complaining about his dealer's choices for colors on the boats they order from the factory.

Is it just me (us) or are there some dealers you know who consistently order odd/bad/weird/etc colors on their spec boats? I would think that you'd want to be a neutral as possible - unless you're going for shock and awe with a particular boat.

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some people seem to have a knack for it and others are somewhat lacking...

I think you are dead on.    Having just designed mine, I believe that choosing a good scheme is more of an art than a science.   I must have generated 15-20 versions in boat builder.   I looked at HUNDREDS of pictures online.  Some I thought were really sharp, some left me wondering what the heck the designer was thinking.    Interestingly, I don't recall any that I have seen here on the Crew that do not look sharp, but there a quite a few used boats out there in the dealer channel that were NOT attractive to me.

I learned that while I know one I like when I see it, I SUCK at designing one.    I asked a lot of questions, and gathered a lot of opinions.   I THINK I got good advice... and I believe the end result will be sharp.   If followed the themes I wanted: Timeless, handsome, but didn't have to be flashy.  I tried to pick a color scheme that was not like every other boat I saw (for me that meant a lot of Midnight Blue)  I wanted the interior main to be light to keep the seats cool.   I tried to keep surfaces that would be exposed both to the sun, and bare skin would generally be lighter/cooler (eg white bow, Machine Silver Metallic Deck).  I wanted the interior to be fairly easy to keep looking clean (hence a fair amount of moonstone).  I plan to keep this boat for a long time, so I stayed with colors that I didn't think we would tire of over time.   Maybe that means it will be boring... I hope not.

I also learned that what you see in boat builder doesn't tell the story at ALL.    So I looked for live pictures online of similar schemes to see what it looked like on the boat.   I discarded several schemes after seeing pictures of real boats that were similar.

The REAL test will be when we get to unwrap it.   I really HOPE for a really good reaction, but time will tell.  But since I picked it, I cant complain to anyone but myself!   :lol:

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20stern_zps6v1gjru5.png

• Like 2

My local dealer is a large one and I believe that there strategy every year is to order the majority of the showroom boats in relatively safe color schemes -- but also add a couple of REALLY LOUD/OBNOXIOUS color schemes for the shock/attention factor.

22-MXZ.jpg?itok=C2P9SFHv

That being said, for whatever reason there ALWAYS seems to be the ugliest boats around for sale in Wyoming.  

attachment.php?attachmentid=101249&stc=1

537941.jpg

• Like 1

I pushed for a section here on TMC where the members could upload all of their Build a Boat pictures as a resource to help new buyers and dealers to scan through for ideas. It didn't fly because of too much $torage $pace. 

The thing I've seen in designing my boats is one simple change that you pick up off the internet changes your way of thinking for your boat. Just that one thing to snap you to the best scheme you've ever created.

• Like 2
Just now, Ronnie said:

I pushed for a section here on TMC where the members could upload all of their Build a Boat pictures as a resource to help new buyers and dealers to scan through for ideas. It didn't fly because of too much $torage $pace. 

The thing I've seen in designing my boats is one simple change that you pick up off the internet changes your way of thinking for your boat. Just that one thing to snap you to the best scheme you've ever created.

i would have LOVED to have this resource when I was in the design process.   Best would have been paired pictures with the boat builder view and then actual pictures of the completed boat.

2 hours ago, JeffC said:

i would have LOVED to have this resource when I was in the design process.   Best would have been paired pictures with the boat builder view and then actual pictures of the completed boat.

The problem with that is most people probably build 20+ boats on the website finding one they like, then only build one to buy.

Some dealers definitely have weird taste. There's one that's somewhat local to me and the designs they bring in are always so different. And to make it all worse they put a snaps all on them!

This was always one of my favorite, creative related, parts of working at a Marine dealership. I always used TMC for knowledge pull and trends, then browsed the likes of Wizard Lakes (B.CC) / Minnesota Inboards / Boulder Boats / Tommys / Waterski America to come up with interior and exterior color schemes.

There was a lot of added value if you had a few more sets of eyes in the mix when building out an inventory boat. At the time, the most success I found in this scenario was working together as a team with my co-worker and boss to dial it up all at once. 

Best part was when you peeled back the travel cover and witnessed your computer creation transfer into real life... Definitely a 'kid on christmas morning' feel ;).

• Like 2

I also wonder if it is somewhat brand centric too.  I see a whole bunch of FUGLY color schemes with my new brand.    Their boat builder has a gallery section where you can see recent designs others have done.  Not just the orders, but the various versions.  It's kind of scary what some people design!    

16 hours ago, Fffrank said:

My local dealer is a large one and I believe that there strategy every year is to order the majority of the showroom boats in relatively safe color schemes -- but also add a couple of REALLY LOUD/OBNOXIOUS color schemes for the shock/attention factor.

22-MXZ.jpg?itok=C2P9SFHv

That being said, for whatever reason there ALWAYS seems to be the ugliest boats around for sale in Wyoming.  

attachment.php?attachmentid=101249&stc=1

537941.jpg

There was a dealer in Charlotte who had that identical Mastercraft monstrosity for sale.  I'm pretty sure it took em years to finally unload it.  Priced north of $100k.......I wouldn't have given $FiddyK for it.  That being said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder's......wife.  I saw a bunch of boats I liked at this year's boat show but the boss would come behind me and say "ugh, that thing is hideous".  

Edited by Cap305

I talked to a guy who works at a local dealer (not 'bu) who admitted that color schemes don't get much attention for their spec boats. He said that either they follow the manufacturer's 'recommended' color layouts (colors that match the brochure) or someone sits down in front of the computer for 20 minutes and colors 3-6 boats.

I realize people are busy and I don't envy this guy's workload and schedule, but 20 minutes seems pretty short for a $100,000+ sales item.

i agree. Even the MFG's using ugly colors at x games etc... aqua blue teal and black on the MC throw down? cmon, you can do better. 

Different people like different things.  My brother had a furniture store, he found that if he stocked the showroom floor with a wide variety of styles/colors, everything sold, even the most gaudy.

33 minutes ago, MadMan said:

Different people like different things.  My brother had a furniture store, he found that if he stocked the showroom floor with a wide variety of styles/colors, everything sold, even the most gaudy.

Did he pick his stock, or did he just take factory samples?

There have definitely been some interesting colour schemes over the years. A local dealer made up this Z3 which I originally didn't like, but after seeing it a few times I grew to like it

img_9488-w900h700.jpg[/img]

2 hours ago, asp13 said:

There have definitely been some interesting colour schemes over the years. A local dealer made up this Z3 which I originally didn't like, but after seeing it a few times I grew to like it

img_9488-w900h700.jpg[/img]

I don't think the colors are that bad...it's just that it's a Tige.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:07 AM, Pnwrider said:

The local mc dealer would win first place in an ugly gel scheme competition. proof:

3266C6D1-D3EB-40F0-8558-81C9C1A89ABA_zps

38DC7B5A-9A4C-4E7D-8DA8-031D185620A3_zps

I think this broke my LCD screen !  I could see someone ordering this color. But for a dealer to use it as a promo?  What are they thinking?

Steve B.