Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

iRide - sub install in drivers footwell

Tags

Taking on a stereo project in our iRide since it's likely we'll be hanging onto it for another season. I am trying to figure out what size sub and box set up people have managed to fit in the drivers foot well area. Any dimensions, photos, advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!

On 2/27/2017 at 10:02 PM, Tags said:

Taking on a stereo project in our iRide since it's likely we'll be hanging onto it for another season. I am trying to figure out what size sub and box set up people have managed to fit in the drivers foot well area. Any dimensions, photos, advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Wow crickets...

2B5260F8-F9E7-4499-AF6D-CF8731CE53E3_zps

Edited by Stevo

Dont see any reason a 12" woofer in a  custom enclosure would not fit. Which woofer and to what exact dimensions? too many choices. Might lose a couple inches leg room. Might need to stand the wall vertical rather than at its original angle forward. 

3 minutes ago, MLA said:

Dont see any reason a 12" woofer in a  custom enclosure would not fit. Which woofer and to what exact dimensions? too many choices. Might lose a couple inches leg room. Might need to stand the wall vertical rather than at its original angle forward. 

yah its going to have to be custom enclosure i think. Ideally a 12" exile sub. Hoping not to lose all the leg room.

Ideally, id go with a woofer that does not use a paper based cone. Sometimes you see the term cellulose and/or hybrid and laminate used to describe the cone material. The Wet Sounds XS-12 is 100% marine built and for less $$$. Rubber surround, composite cone (no paper of any kind), rubber spider (not cotton or other moisture holding material, gold plated binding posts. 

Is it the same space as the V-ride and older vlx's? 

If so you should be able to get 3cu ft net fairly easily. 

If i remember correctly I was able to squeeze 2.5cu ft after port and sub displacement.  

sub2.jpg

1 hour ago, cowwboy said:

Is it the same space as the V-ride and older vlx's? 

If so you should be able to get 3cu ft net fairly easily. 

If i remember correctly I was able to squeeze 2.5cu ft after port and sub displacement.  

sub2.jpg

how deep is the enclosure? Does the photo above that Stevo posted look the same as yours?

It appears in stevo's pic that there is a but more of a curve in the front then mine. 

You can see the dimensions on the base template in this pic. 

IMG_0893_zpsunudpaef.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, cowwboy said:

It appears in stevo's pic that there is a but more of a curve in the front then mine. 

You can see the dimensions on the base template in this pic. 

IMG_0893_zpsunudpaef.jpg

My boat is in the shop until mid week but i'll measure up based on your template above to see how it looks. What about height? Any complaints about losing the leg room?

5 minutes ago, MLA said:

Id be real surprised if you had to go with a shallow woofer. Ive seen a 12" woofer ported enclosure in an 04 malibu DD with almost no lose of leg room. 

yah....you might be right. I was rushed to pull the panels out before i had to drop it off for some maintenance and didn't get a chance to measure up.......its probably a bigger space than i'm thinking it is.

iride sub install 1.jpg

06 Vride  I bought the Rockford Fosgate box it isn't waterproof so I took the carpet off and waterproofed it then put carpet back on it. I liked the look and it fits great. I put the amp on the side of the box.

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

4086848463_fe1ebd564a_o.jpg

Tags this is sortof a terrible picture but what I did on my vride was measure the angle and location of the original kick panel and try to build a box that approximated that location.  It was sealed but still had quite a bit of output.

This was early in my sub box career and I've gotten better over the years.  OK what I'm trying to say is it was a little on the ugly side.  But it was built strong and sounded really good.  I later put this driver in a side firing ported box and didn't like the sound nearly as much.

null_zps271dc197.jpg

null_zps9f20162e.jpg

• Like 2
On 2/28/2017 at 0:02 AM, Tags said:

Thanks!!

Read this thread - all 4 pages - and you'll see lots of options.  QBOMB route is easiest and cheapest and gives good sound. Not the best but well more than good enough.

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

4086848463_fe1ebd564a_o.jpg

Tags this is sortof a terrible picture but what I did on my vride was measure the angle and location of the original kick panel and try to build a box that approximated that location.  It was sealed but still had quite a bit of output.

This was early in my sub box career and I've gotten better over the years.  OK what I'm trying to say is it was a little on the ugly side.  But it was built strong and sounded really good.  I later put this driver in a side firing ported box and didn't like the sound nearly as much.

null_zps271dc197.jpg

null_zps9f20162e.jpg

@shawndoggy this will be my first box attempt.......i'm sure i can do plenty worse. Im assuming that the cutout in the 3rd picture was to go around the cutout in the floor?

14 minutes ago, Tags said:

@shawndoggy this will be my first box attempt.......i'm sure i can do plenty worse. Im assuming that the cutout in the 3rd picture was to go around the cutout in the floor?

yes, exactly.  The box was glued and screwed, then coated in fiberglass.  It was SUPER heavy.  Note that I also mounted it on blocks so it wouldn't rest on the floor and get wet (you can see the white block in the last pic).  I also countersunk the sub into the box so that the sub face would be approximately flush with the face of the box.  To do that on this box I cut the hole on the face of the box a little bigger than the sub (probably 12.75" going from memory) and then made a smaller circle to mount on the inside (OD approx 14", ID approx 11") that was screwed in from the face of the sub and which the sub screws could screw into.  Hope that makes sense.  you can kinda see in the second pic how the carpet tucks around the first hole and then the sub mounts to the second ring.  

There was no loss of leg room with that box.

The one thing (among many) that I do differently now is to mount the terminal cup to the top of the box instead of the back.  That way you can fit the box in place then connect the wires, rather than having to connect the sub wires then push the box in place and hope you don't disconnect the sub wires.

I have a 2006 iRide.  I used a 10 inch Polk sub (if I recall) in a pre-fab box but I put the box on composite "risers" to keep if off the floor of the boat.  This not only keeps if from sitting on water, but also allowed me to change the angle of the box to fit the footboard.   Not shown here but the footboard with the carpet was put back in place and it looks like a factory install (if I do say so myself)Drivers_footwell_Resized.jpg

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Tags said:

@Bradley Thornton is that sitting over the opening in the floor where the ballast and some other cables run?

No it is pushed all the way up against the wires. That was as far back as it would go.

I don't know how crazy you want to go with bass, but I'm really happy with my basslink bolted to the wall under my helm. 

Sorry for the blurry pic, but I was able to cut about 3" off the stock kick plate and re-install it with that sub mounted up high.

0AA8EC7C-344C-4DC9-9A6E-3E5CE235109B.jpg 

i like that bass link.  may rip out my sub and amp combo and put that in... my sub is in observer storage and takes up alot of room and doesnt really sound great unless you open the door