Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

roadie wrap ski lines?

tvano

over time our ski lines accumulate kinks from the half twist that naturally lays into the line as each loop is coiled.

on occasion we need to stream (handle in the boat and the bitter end trailing) it at idle on the way home to un-kink it.

roadie wrap works swell w audio cables.

anyone using it on ski lines?

Also known as "over/under" and it's the only way I wrap lines over 6' long. Once you get the hang of how to coil this way, it will become the only way you wrap lines, cables, or anything. It's obvious which lines have been wrapped this way and which have not on my boat.

I play roadie on a pretty regular basis, and I wrap ALL cable and hoses over/under (read several hundred times a month). However, I do not wrap rope that way. I have tried and I never felt it pullout out well. Instead I wrap rope more like it is being put on a spool, pull it directly in the direction of the coil so I don't  put any twist in it.

I use a figure 8 wrap around elbow and hand for all ski ropes.  Benefit is that it does not twist the rope while coiling or uncoiling.  The roadie wrap is fine as far as coiling and looks neat and clean, but it twists the rope when uncoiling - and takes a long time because you have to throw a twist in every loop.

How to do the figure 8: With the rope extended away from you on land or in the water, grab the loop end in your hand (palm towards you) with the loop towards your sternum.  Then wrap the rope down across your forearm then around your elbow and back up across your forearm and back over your thumb.  Repeat.  Takes about 30 seconds.  Take the coil off your arm and make sure to keep the loop out of the coils.  If it falls through you have a knot.  If storing the rope for a while you can pull out a couple feet of the loop end and wrap it around the entire figure 8 coil and cinch.

With the figure 8 all you have to do is keep the loop end and handle separate from the the coils.  You can throw it under a seat or on the floor.  When ready to use just attach the loop end to the pylon and throw the handle as far as you can.  No knots or twists.  Ready to ski or board.  Try it, you'll like it.

Note: this does not work well with larger diameter ropes such as mooring or anchor lines.

I do the twist but I have a different and equally easy way of tying off. My brother in law is a lineman with an electric company and he taught me. I do all my extension cords and ropes that way. I can't explain it but I think it's better than tying onto the handle like Klarich' method. His method works well of your hanging the rope but not so well if they are laying in a pizza tray or box. If I'm traveling, I will sometimes tie mine his way so I can hang my vest on the handle. Learned that here on the crew. 

I use Tony's method for tope tie up.  In addition, particularly if I notice a kinked rope once in the water, prior to rope going tight I will spin the handle several times to untwist the rope.  I have wondered but have not run the experiment on whether a twisted rope is more sprongy (as it should act a bit like a torsion spring as it is stretched) than an untwisted rope particularly for an older rope that has fully stretched out and feels like a steel cable.  Also, what is the length effect of twisted v untwisted for the buoy chaser.

I roll with Tony's method as does basically anyone that has ever show-skied.  The single tie-off he shows, although I get to it a different way, lets you get the end of the rope free with one pull and no need to unwrap  from the handle, allowing easy setup for pyramids and the like (or anything using a dock start).  If you always wrap the same direction, the rope will develop some memory, but shouldn't have any significant twists.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Tonys method as well but my ropes always end up in a huge knot. Maybe i just get into a hurry. Dont know. I could knot up a 1 foot rope without thinking, i can tell you that!

• 1 month later...