Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Screens will not turn on in 2015 LSV 23

I have been having a few issues with the screens on my boat. It started last summer when the smaller screen would not come on but as long as you knew where the buttons were to touch it would still work, now it seems to be more common but now it's both screens and nothing works, when it was just the little screen that would not come on the blower would still fire up. Used to be if I killed the battery power to the boat for a few minutes they would work again but the last time I tried them nothing seemed to work. In discussion with a malibu dealer they asked me to get them the date code from the Viper unit but it does not fall in the date code of the problem units. I have checked all connections and other than I found a loose ground on one of the batteryear connections all was good and ground has been tightened.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue? I do not have Malibu warranty on it but do have a 3rd party warranty that would be a discussion for another time. I bought this bought used with 8 hours on it and had no troubles until I hit the 50 hour mark. Any advice, tips or tricks would be great. I am planning on taking it to a dealer once the weather warms up if I have not figured out the problem by then. 

ahopkins22LSV

Have you checked the connections on the back of each screen? I believe there is just one plug for each. Would be a fairly easy thing to check real quick before making the trip to the dealer. One other thing, the batteries are good right?

Will be hard to check for sure if the screens don't come on but do you know if the latest software update has been installed? There were a few gremlins with the earlier software and the latest update has solved those. That would most likely be a trip to the dealer though. 

Sorry to say, and I hope for your sake I'm wrong given your warranty situation, but I'd bet you need the computer replaced (it's ntegrated into the small screen). I had all sorts of issues with my 2015 VLX - swapped out the computer twice but it hasn't missed a beat since ?

I bet it falls within the recently released screen service bulletin. Hit your dealer up and let them know what's going on with it. From what I heard, even if outside the date range, if it is giving the symptoms they are replacing them with the newer units.

They identified a batch of faulty screens and have an active campaign to replace every one of them.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I bet it falls within the recently released screen service bulletin. Hit your dealer up and let them know what's going on with it. From what I heard, even if outside the date range, if it is giving the symptoms they are replacing them with the newer units.

They identified a batch of faulty screens and have an active campaign to replace every one of them.

Any insight as to what the range is and what the symptoms are? Other than two functionality issues, my screens from 04/2015 have been flawless and I don't want to do anything unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

For those that care, the functionality issues are: 1. being able to upload a picture to a rider profile 2. adjust the gain (not volume level) of an input source (the line in/line out level from the computer is dramatically low)

Just now, mikeo said:

Any insight as to what the range is and what the symptoms are? Other than two functionality issues, my screens from 04/2015 have been flawless and I don't want to do anything unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

For those that care, the functionality issues are: 1. being able to upload a picture to a rider profile 2. adjust the gain (not volume level) of an input source (the line in/line out level from the computer is dramatically low)

Off the top of my head, dead spots on the screen (not responding to touch), auto cycling through stuff, etc.

Actually a myriad of stuff.

screens manufactured between 2/6/15 and 8/31/15.

8 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Have you checked the connections on the back of each screen? I believe there is just one plug for each. Would be a fairly easy thing to check real quick before making the trip to the dealer. One other thing, the batteries are good right?

Will be hard to check for sure if the screens don't come on but do you know if the latest software update has been installed? There were a few gremlins with the earlier software and the latest update has solved those. That would most likely be a trip to the dealer though. 

Batteries are good. All connections on back of screen are checked. I hado the screen right out to get the date code for the dealer. When I plugged it in last night it worked but today same issue screens will not turn on. Not sure the latest software version on it but if I get the screens on I will get it for sure, I do believe it does need an update which will have to go to dealer. I have never done an update on it and I suspect since it only had 8 hours on it when I bought it will be running the original software.

7 hours ago, PeteOOXXOO said:

Sorry to say, and I hope for your sake I'm wrong given your warranty situation, but I'd bet you need the computer replaced (it's ntegrated into the small screen). I had all sorts of issues with my 2015 VLX - swapped out the computer twice but it hasn't missed a beat since ?

I think the warranty will still cover it with this third party warrant just more of a pain. I have been expecting the worse from the start.

3 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Off the top of my head, dead spots on the screen (not responding to touch), auto cycling through stuff, etc.

Actually a myriad of stuff.

screens manufactured between 2/6/15 and 8/31/15.

My screen is 8/27/14. Hoping the dealer that I have been talking with gets back to me today or tomorrow with some ideas. I have read lots of posts with freezing issues and touch issues but I have not found any other ones where the screens will not turn on at all.

Viper Date Stamp

Just now, Dean0110 said:

My screen is 8/27/14. Hoping the dealer that I have been talking with gets back to me today or tomorrow with some ideas. I have read lots of posts with freezing issues and touch issues but I have not found any other ones where the screens will not turn on at all.

Viper Date Stamp

Make sure they speak with the tech guys at the factory about it.

So the dealer talked with the tech guys and they are telling him it could be a bad cat 6 cable, I am skeptical as it is both screens not just the big screen and I think that is the only cat 6 cable is between the 2 screens. Also I forgot to mention in my original post is that on initial start up the screens come on and the big screen displays the wait the 30 seconds message then everything goes blank.

The boat will be going to the dealer in April we once our snow clears and I can get it out of the garage. The dealer is trying to get it covered by Viper. If anyone is interested I was told a screen is 2600 CAD.

I will fill you in if I find anything more.

In the meantime I will install my heater. ?

13 hours ago, Dean0110 said:

So the dealer talked with the tech guys and they are telling him it could be a bad cat 6 cable, I am skeptical as it is both screens not just the big screen and I think that is the only cat 6 cable is between the 2 screens. Also I forgot to mention in my original post is that on initial start up the screens come on and the big screen displays the wait the 30 seconds message then everything goes blank.

The boat will be going to the dealer in April we once our snow clears and I can get it out of the garage. The dealer is trying to get it covered by Viper. If anyone is interested I was told a screen is 2600 CAD.

I will fill you in if I find anything more.

In the meantime I will install my heater. ?

Dean, the small screen has the computer built into it, and that controls the big screen as well.  So maybe a faulty data cable could cause the issue.  Certainly worth giving it a try ?