Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wisconsin New Spotter Law Needing Support

ksdaoski

I see 1500 hours every 2 years mentioned in Amendment 2.  I think that was a bone they threw at the SE Wisc. reps to get it passed, but it will not affect most of the state.

Not that it matters for me.  750 hours/yr. would be 10 hours per day for 75 days a year.  That would be 10 hours per day Friday thru Sunday for 25 weeks, or 5 days per week for the 15 weeks of high season.  Far more than our local water patrol is on the lake.  Plus they mainly concentrate on kids on PWCs anyway.

Wife and I are already planning to do more surfing and skiing!

• Like 2

This will be awesome when I'm back in WI visiting my folks in summer.  Always felt like a jerk getting mom or my wife out of bed when Dad and I would do dawn patrol!  Now to buy a 150 lb bag of shot to put under observer seat...  :)

• Like 1

Sorry for all the questions about this topic, but now I'm confused again. I receive email notifications about activity regarding this bill. This morning I received another one stating that AB100 (assembly bill 100, not senate bill 69) "failed to pass pursuant to senate joint resolution 1". Does this simply mean that senate bill 69 is what we go by, and that AB100 disappears? I just feel it's all too good to be true, and that the rug will be pulled out from under us right as the ice disappears.

ahopkins22LSV

Nice work guys. I’ve been following this out of curiosity since the start. But I figured I’d share this, 750 patrol hours is a TON! I’d think most Lakes are under that. Our lake association pay for a country sheriff to be on our lake every Saturday and Sunday plus random weekday evenings. They are on the water typically 6-8 hours. Here is the data from the last few years. They have never been above 250 hours. 

http://www.wlcl.org/patrols.shtml

15 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Nice work guys. I’ve been following this out of curiosity since the start. But I figured I’d share this, 750 patrol hours is a TON! I’d think most Lakes are under that. Our lake association pay for a country sheriff to be on our lake every Saturday and Sunday plus random weekday evenings. They are on the water typically 6-8 hours. Here is the data from the last few years. They have never been above 250 hours. 

http://www.wlcl.org/patrols.shtml

Unfortunately, knowing Michigan there will be snow in hades before they allow this.😢

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, tjs said:

Sorry for all the questions about this topic, but now I'm confused again. I receive email notifications about activity regarding this bill. This morning I received another one stating that AB100 (assembly bill 100, not senate bill 69) "failed to pass pursuant to senate joint resolution 1". Does this simply mean that senate bill 69 is what we go by, and that AB100 disappears? I just feel it's all too good to be true, and that the rug will be pulled out from under us right as the ice disappears.

AB 100 was the old one that didn't pass last year.

16 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I see 1500 hours every 2 years mentioned in Amendment 2.  I think that was a bone they threw at the SE Wisc. reps to get it passed, but it will not affect most of the state.

Not that it matters for me.  750 hours/yr. would be 10 hours per day for 75 days a year.  That would be 10 hours per day Friday thru Sunday for 25 weeks, or 5 days per week for the 15 weeks of high season.  Far more than our local water patrol is on the lake.  Plus they mainly concentrate on kids on PWCs anyway.

Wife and I are already planning to do more surfing and skiing!

Wife and I have been going alone with the big mirror for decades, we get a lot  of opportunities that finding a spotter would have ruined, your going to love it!

• Like 1

Working from home and living five minutes from the water is going to be fun.  Looks like I will be out every morning and night. :)

• Like 1

I foot with a really good crew, but this will make it legal now, when we don't get a 3rd or that guy doesn't show up at 5:30am. :)

Can't wait for the first patrol to try to ticket us.  Then again, no patrol that early during the week.

Edited by footndale
ahopkins22LSV
44 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Unfortunately, knowing Michigan there will be snow in hades before they allow this.😢

Yeah I know. Oh well. There are ways around it in MI but typically not worth the effort. I just wanted to post the patrol hour data for our lake.

32 minutes ago, footndale said:

I foot with a really good crew, but this will make it legal now, when we don't get a 3rd or that guy doesn't show up at 5:30am. :)

Can't wait for the first patrol to try to ticket us.  Then again, no patrol that early during the week.

Yep.  I already printed out a copy of the Bill to put in the glove box of the Bu!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Yep.  I already printed out a copy of the Bill to put in the glove box of the Bu!

Do you happen to have a direct link so I can do the same.

23 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Good idea!

Local yocal in our waterway kept telling me he was going to bust me for no observer, same crew (including I think s younger him) in 90’s did same so I actually thought I was just getting away with it when they weren’t there or at other water  ways thought we were lucky. Warned friends about the yocal a few years back and they told me we are no observer state!!

Pulled the wildlife and fisheries regs that said large 7x14 convex mirror no observer necessary and then read the corps of  engineers recreation guidelines to our Spillway that refererred/deferred to wildlife regs. (Wonderful world everything online)

Had to call local sheriffs office to request commander inform his officer cause I wasn’t going to argue with the man and never had(just got back in boat every time and had always said yes sir).  

He never appeared at waterway again 

Now we have one yelling at all of us about putting on snd  keeping s preserver, it’s law fir minors but I doubt for adults and I bet the corps  guidelines refer to wildlife agsin but this guy doesn’t look like he’s in the brink of retirement and I don’t want to piss him off and he ends up getting me fit something else.  He’s s corps cop so HERE WE GO AGAIN. 

On a better note, y’all’s water had mostly passed by and we are either closed or will close Spillway soon and let the crabbers and fisherman go 1st snd we’re back in business 

horrible algae bloom in our brack lake due to fresh Mississippi River water and the runoff fertilizer and such 

you guys got your revenge on my early season is on posts from february.  We got so picky/lucky, we went boat riding two days last weekend when water was cooler and muddier  from rains.  Back at it this weekend , with or without an OBSERVER

Edited by granddaddy55
3 hours ago, MattyICE15 said:

Now i just need our lake to reconsider our slow/no-wake times for the morning (10am-sunset unrestricted) darn fishermen...

That stinks.😢

• 4 weeks later...

I read the bill and it reads:

“The motorboat is equipped with a mirror that provides the operator with a wide field of vision to the rear.”

is there any detail on this? I have a wide mirror but not one that is convex to allow for a wider viewing angle than a flat mirror.

i just don’t want to be surprised.🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I read the bill and it reads:

“The motorboat is equipped with a mirror that provides the operator with a wide field of vision to the rear.”

is there any detail on this? I have a wide mirror but not one that is convex to allow for a wider viewing angle than a flat mirror.

i just don’t want to be surprised.🤷‍♂️

Like any new law, my guess it's going to be up to the interpretation of the officer or judge if you get one and fight it.  If you can see the person being towed at all/majority of the time with your mirrow, I would think you have a case of being compliant with the law (I'm not a lawyer).

If local lakes decide to exempt themselves from the law, where do they have to post that (e.g. launch, website, other)?

Just now, DAI said:

If local lakes decide to exempt themselves from the law, where do they have to post that (e.g. launch, website, other)?

Not sure. Where do they post no-wake times? I haven’t ever looked or noticed anything at the launch...though that would be the most obvious place.