Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wisconsin New Spotter Law Needing Support

ksdaoski

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2018 at 3:19 PM, onwi said:

Bill passed the State Senate with the new amendment a few minutes ago.  On to the Governor now.  

Signed yet?!  Any word, this makes my season.

4 hours ago, onwi said:

We'll be good for the upcoming season, but I have not yet heard an actual signing date.  I'd guess sometime in February.

This is fabulous!  Just about the time that my soon to be three year old can be trained to be a "competent spotter."  

• Like 1
On 1/30/2018 at 1:13 AM, efjeld said:

This is fabulous!  Just about the time that my soon to be three year old can be trained to be a "competent spotter."  

Was worried I Was going to have to have kids just to get my spotter!  This law just saved me! :)  "mostly joking"

Any idea on if the patrol hours are listed on a website?  I'm specifically looking for Lake Monona and Waubesa.  I know the patrol hours are split between the two lakes so it would be interesting to see how its justified.

• 1 month later...

We are still waiting on the Governor's signature.  I have spoken with the offices of the authors and both still expect a signature.  I called the Gov's office and they have no information on when it would be signed.  I wrote the Gov's office an email requesting more information and requesting that the Gov sign the bill into law immediately.  But, it really doesn't feel like anyone knows when it will be signed.  

In reality this step is no different than any other in the process, if we contact the Gov's office they will get the message that further delay will impact the utilization of the law for 2018.

The Senate is Bill 69 and the Assembly is bill 100(I believe).  Does the governor sign both or do they merge into a joint bill that gets approved?

At one time, I thought there was a higher document that these bills where part of.

Thanks

2 hours ago, onwi said:

In reality this step is no different than any other in the process, if we contact the Gov's office they will get the message that further delay will impact the utilization of the law for 2018.

I submitted a message to the Gov's office encouraging him to sign it into law and/or give information on the scheduling.

Here is the link for others who wish to help create a squeaky wheel:

https://walker.wi.gov/contact/contact-form

2 hours ago, onwi said:

Wednesday, sometime around 9am! Bill will be signed! 

How'd you find that out?  I didn't even get a reply from his aides.  Was hoping he'd visit our work again and I could ask in person 

New member here. I joined because you guys seem to be the main group following this law. I actually learned about the existence of the law through this site. Surprised it's not on more. Anyway,  I ski in the northern part of Wisconsin, and eliminating the spotter rule will change my skiing life significantly. I received a notification this morning saying Governor Walker did indeed sign the bill. Could someone please help me interpret it? There is still language in there about having a spotter, and I don't know how the language about mirrors is linked to it. Also the part about local government being able to override, and something about a boat patrol. I just want to know if I can ski on my local lake without a spotter? Now for the bad part..... I actually don't own a Malibu, but I'll take one any day!! For now I'm stuck with a 1994 Ski Nautique. 43 year old guy who likes to slalom ski. Not very good though.

Thanks,

Tom

The rule is in effect now. You can ski without a spotter as long as you have wide mirror, otherwise you need a spotter.

On lakes that and active patrol, local ordinances can be changed to not allow no spotters.  So for now, everywhere is Wisconsin you can ski with out a spotter.

Of course, right now you have ice. :)