Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop change/ boat lift

Beezer

New Malibu owner in Alberta, Canada.

I'm looking for a different prop for my 07' VLX.  I've found a 2016 Acme 525  13x11.5 pitch  1 1/8 shaft (three blade) I'm told this is a great upgrade from my stock 4 blade prop?  I'm new to the V drive so any advice is welcome.  Also looking for a boat lift.. is there anything I should stay away from?

Congrats on the new boat! How you're planning to use it will determine what prop is the best fit.

You probably have a stock ACME 537 prop, which won't push much weight, so the generic answer for a boat like your is likely going to be something like the ACME 1235. It's larger (14.5") and the most common multipurpose prop. The 525 is good for skiing but you won't be happy with it if you're loaded up for wakeboarding or surfing.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into what I have on and get back to this, would there be a noticeable difference between the 573 and the 1235 or is it even necessary?  I'm the only skier in the family now but that may change as the kids get older, the surfing is what we've been doing mostly...it hurts a allot less hitting the water at 10.5mph rather than 35mph.  That being said we do just about everything, tube, knee board, wake board, and surf.

• Like 1

The 537 is quite a noticeable difference from a 1235, from my experience making the 1235 upgrade in an LSV. You can still ski using the 1235 too, so if you're dropping $ on a new prop I think that's the way to go.

Call Wakemakers or ACME and ask what they'd recommend for you, both should be helpful.

Welcome Beezer!  Congrats on the new boat.

Big difference between the 537 and 1235.  If you have the Monsoon 340 (base) the 1235 will give you MUCH better performance surfing and still get you 42mph top end for skiing (vs 44 mph top end with the 537).  I've had both and the only reason I would put the 537 back on would be for an extended multi day river cruise.  Example: surfing at 10.7 loaded up with 2800 lbs ballast the 537 was at 3300 rpm while the 1235 was at 2900 rpm.  Get the 1235 - unless you're above 4,000 feet then you may need an even lower pitch prop.

Thank you, we absolutely LOVE IT!!! quite an upgrade from our old boat which was very nice but worth every $.  I've wanted a Malibu since I was 20.....it only took a little over 20 yrs LOL.

2400ish feet here, according to the gps.  Thanks for the info, the boat show is coming here in a couple weeks so I need to brush up on my info. 

I created this thread for this very reason - a guide to get you where you need to be:

DO NOT put a 3-blade on your boat.  That is for direct drives.

Also, NO ONE should be giving you any advice on props until the following info is provided:

- Engine.  What a 330 Indmar needs is very different than a big block
- Cruising needs.  Small lake with little cruising is very different than having to travel long distances
- Ballast/crew size.  Running stock ballast requires a very different prop than sacking out with 4000-5000lbs.

Edited by Nitrousbird

WOW, thanks for ALL the info but now I can't stop my head from spinning.  I do have the stock 537x 13.5 on my VLX, it does have the monsoon in it and stock ballasts.  We kinda do it all as far as water sports so I'm thinking from what I have read the 1235 might be a good all around upgrade for me?

• Like 2

I think that's your best bet too unless you want to geek out on props. If you were surf only, running a ton of extra ballast and at higher elevation, then the answer might be different.

You can overcomplicate this and pick up an extra 50-100 rpms or so, and 1-2 mph with a more specialized prop but then you're going to have to debate 2 or 3 possible options for such a negligible benefit.

I realize I don't have as much ballast as some, ~3400lbs surfing + a few people, nor am I at much altitude, <1000'. But, my Acme 1161 (basically a 537 with a little more cup) works great for me.  It allows me to cruise at 30-32 mph at 3200-3400 rpm, which is pleasant.  I have almost zero concern over top speed since I maybe try it once a season.  Having a pleasant cruise RPM/MPH and still be able to get to surfing or wakeboarding speed in a reasonable time (6-8 sec) is what is important to me.

Edited by MadMan

Enough with the 1235 BS.  Yes, it was the go-to prop years ago.  Yes, you read about it a lot because for a while it was the only good performance prop option.  Great option USED because they are a dime a dozen.  The end result is it is not the end-all, be-all prop and there are better options.  15" props are where it is at for pulling power (and please, no more "will it clear" posts as Malibu never made a V-drive that can't properly clear a 15" prop).  If for some reason you really want a 14.5" the 1235 still isn't the best pick for most; a 1273 or 1615 would suit most users better depending on their needs.

Let's get back to the OP.  VLX + Monsoon + stock ballast = why in the hell would anyone suggest a prop as aggressive as the 1235.  Stock ballast is nothing on that boat.  I'd suggest a 2247 or 2279.

I run a 2773 and have been very happy with it.  That said, I'm also running a motor with more HP and rev range and a lot more ballast.  Yet I can still cruise well enough with it and slalom with this prop. 

50 minutes ago, Beezer said:

Ok, now I'm really confused?

It really just comes down to your priorities, the best prop for someone else could be the worst prop for you (switching to a lower pitch or larger diameter is not an "upgrade" if it doesn't match your requirements).  If yours is a serious effort, surf only application, a lower pitch/ larger diameter might be for you.  If not, that lower pitch prop can get pretty annoying having to buzz the engine to 4k while cruising.

Also, these larger diameter/ lower pitch props aren't really anything new, boats that operate a lower speeds have always used these (like boats that don't get on plane).  The larger diameter prop trend on tow boats is only because surfing has gotten much more popular and props are being selected to match that speed.  These props aren't new technology, while wakeboard speed props are old.

Edited by MadMan
2 hours ago, Beezer said:

Like I said, you can geek out on props to get the perfect fit for only you, or you can get a good all-around prop and then move on to figuring out your lift situation next.

Edited by NWBU
1 hour ago, Beezer said:

Get the 1235. It works for loaded ballast surfing to slalom to cruising - with the base 5.7 engines. Dispite what the prop geeks say, practically speaking it's all about diameter and pitch. If you go to a 15 inch with low pitch you will give up top speed for cruising and skiing - and you don't need to give that up.

Easy to overthink.

I appreciate all the info and suggestions guys, thank you very much, this site rocks!  I'm still up in the air with it but leaning towards the 1235, I use my power wedge, full ballasts, and a aftermarket wake shaper that throws a pretty awesome wave with what I have now.  I banged up my 537 a bit last year so now having an excuse to go prop shopping(or just repair the 537) I thought I'd see what the experts have to say.

I'm right there with you @Beezer.  I've got one season in my new to me '06 VLX.  It has the Monsoon 340 and a 1235 prop, but I'm usually at about 4000' when I'm in my home waters. Its  worked great, but I added a bunch more ballast during my winter projects so I'm moving to a different prop.  If you want your head to spin as mine has, just do a search on this site and you can read for days.  I think you'll be happy with the 1235. I'm keeping mine as a backup or when I head down to lower elevation.  We don't ski in my crew, but wakeboard and surf.  and I love this site.  Before each purchase, I search this site for info and usually find some posts with lessons learned.  

18 hours ago, svnfightsvn said:

Just get the 1235 and be done with it. You can't go wrong with that prop and your setup

1235 is overkill for a bone-stock ballast setup. 

17 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Get the 1235. It works for loaded ballast surfing to slalom to cruising - with the base 5.7 engines. Dispite what the prop geeks say, practically speaking it's all about diameter and pitch. If you go to a 15 inch with low pitch you will give up top speed for cruising and skiing - and you don't need to give that up.

Easy to overthink.

Who said he had to go with a low-pitch 15"?  For his application a 2247 would be a great match.  IMO, the 1235 is a bad match for his stock setup.

6 hours ago, Beezer said:

I appreciate all the info and suggestions guys, thank you very much, this site rocks!  I'm still up in the air with it but leaning towards the 1235, I use my power wedge, full ballasts, and a aftermarket wake shaper that throws a pretty awesome wave with what I have now.  I banged up my 537 a bit last year so now having an excuse to go prop shopping(or just repair the 537) I thought I'd see what the experts have to say.

Your 537 is only a 13.5" prop, so you are getting some slip.  Even if for some reason you are stuck on a 14.5" prop, a 1273 for sure would be a better match for your needs than a 1235.  If you ate looking for a cheap better version of the 537, get a used 1939.  It is the 537 replacement and outperforms it in every way (that's what I use for my backup prop).   

I would take a hard look at a 1273.  Similar to a 1235, but more cup for better high end.  IMO the 1235 is too aggressive, as others have said.  I ran a 537, 1235, and 1273 and the 1273 was by far my favorite combo.  (2007 VTX with 320LCR)

Beezer.  You will not be able to tell the difference between .105 and .150 cup with the same diameter and pitch so don't sweat the decision.  I saw someone listing a 1235 for a good price in classifieds - or pay more for a 1273. Same result.  FYI, tjklein has a 555hp LSA and a 23 foot boat so his experience will not be apples to apples with yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so on the Wakemakers site there are 3 choices they have for me, keep in mind, 340 monsoon, stock ballast, water sports go from tubing to skiing to surfing.  What do you all say? is the 1235 to much?

Everything- 1941

Wake/surf- 1235

Heavily weighted- 2079