Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Let the Journey Begin!! West Virginia Bound

LarsJensen

4 minutes ago, LarsJensen said:

5 1/4". I thought about purchasing a variable one but it looked chinsy with too much play. The trailer tracks really well and the truck did great. I think it likes pulling boats around!

I use a adjustable aluminum drop, love it.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Haha thats right!

Nice looking boat @LarsJensen!! Seems like it was well worth the trip. Have a safe trip back. 

Thanks so much. Totally worth the trip so far. Can't wait to get home, unfreeze the lakes, and get on the water. 

4 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Thanks so much for including us in the ride. I completely, completely dig that color scheme !! 

Sleep as much as you can. Go slow. Enjoy this part of the ownership.  Congratulations !

Steve B.

Thanks Steve B. The boat is all set for two more months of frozen in Wisconsin. Will just have to stare at it until then. 

14 hours ago, LarsJensen said:

Can't wait to get home, unfreeze the lakes, and get on the water. 

While you're at it unfreeze mine too.  I'll be home from Colorado end of March.  That would be a good time.

Have a safe drive.

7 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Interesting cover.  I like how it covers much of the hull.

How do you like the way the Yukon tows it?  I get quite a bit of trailer sway with mine as soon as I get above 65 MPH.

That's a shipping cover that comes on new boats when they are delivered to the dealers.  Most dealers take them off carefully to save and re-use.  It's just a shrink wrap cover.

16 hours ago, jk13 said:

Not your everyday color combo, looks great! Congrats, get some rest, drive home safe.

Agreed, cant imagine picking those colors but I like them a lot and you wont ever see another one like it! Congrats  :biggrin:

7 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Great looking boat!  Nice to hear that it met expectations, and all went well.

I have to question your choice in return-home weather though.  Travel safe!!

Actually the weather held until about Lasalle/Peru, Illinois. It was 73 in Bloomington and then after 90 miles due north to Rockford it was 37 and most. Very happy I put the cover on it!!

5 hours ago, wedge88 said:

That's a shipping cover that comes on new boats when they are delivered to the dealers.  Most dealers take them off carefully to save and re-use.  It's just a shrink wrap cover.

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

Interesting cover.  I like how it covers much of the hull.

How do you like the way the Yukon tows it?  I get quite a bit of trailer sway with mine as soon as I get above 65 MPH.

Actually the cover is pretty robust and the inside of it is felt. It was recycled off a 2016 vlx. At least that is what the Sharpie said on the side. If I'm careful, clean and dry and store it properly, I should get several seasons out of it. But either way, it will have indoor storage over the winter.

as for trailering it, it performed very well. I actually flirted with 80 a couple times but that was just while passing. 72 mph was the sweet spot for the transmission. The boat had about 5 gallons of gas in it and nothing else so weight was minimal. There was no "tail wagging the dog." The cause of that is usually too much weight behind the axle. My neighbor uses an anti-sway bar on his pop up camper and it works like a charm. That being said, the weight distribution of all his gear in the camper is mostly aft of the axle. He probably could redistribute load and get away without one. 

My biggest challenge on the way home was the hellacious headwind of about 40mph. My leg from cincinatti to Madison sucked as I had the headwind from the southwest most of the way. After I turned north in Bloomington, IL I crossed the frontal boundary and the wind shifted from the north at about 25 mph. I couldn't catch a break. 

5 minutes ago, RyanB said:

@LarsJensen, what tires are you running on your Yukon?  Everyone I speak with is happy with how their Yukon/Burb tows, so I am hoping my issue is my tires.

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Came with the truck when I purchased as a certified used from our local GM dealer last September

Just now, LarsJensen said:

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Came with the truck when I purchased as a certified used from our local GM dealer last September

Thanks.  That is the same tire I have, so perhaps that is not my problem. :(

Is the away more pronounced when you have more fuel in the boat? That may shift your center of gravity back marking the sway more pronounced. Also, your axle allignment may be off. At slower speeds the oscillations are considered a "neutral dynamic stability" as they don't get any worse. But at higher speeds the sway becomes a "negative dynamic stability" as the oscillations get to the point where the "Oh S--T Factor" starts to kick in.  I would check your axle(s) and Wheel assemblies.

(Ok, somebody with more education needs to intervene here. I just used my "big boy word quota" for the day and I'm already two beers in on a Friday!!!)

1 hour ago, LarsJensen said:

Is the away more pronounced when you have more fuel in the boat? That may shift your center of gravity back marking the sway more pronounced. Also, your axle allignment may be off. At slower speeds the oscillations are considered a "neutral dynamic stability" as they don't get any worse. But at higher speeds the sway becomes a "negative dynamic stability" as the oscillations get to the point where the "Oh S--T Factor" starts to kick in.  I would check your axle(s) and Wheel assemblies.

(Ok, somebody with more education needs to intervene here. I just used my "big boy word quota" for the day and I'm already two beers in on a Friday!!!)

Lars, I didn't want to derail your thread, but since you asked......

Amount of fuel in the boat doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't think the alignment or wheel assemblies are the problem, but I have never formally checked.  What I can say is that I estimate I have towed the trailer between 15,000 - 20,000 miles, and trailer tire wear is normal.  I would think if there was an issue, I would have visual evidence by now.

I bought the Yukon as an upgrade for a 2003 2500 Burb.  The Burb had no sway.

My "long distance" tow vehicle is a 3500 RAM, which has no sway either.

For these reasons, I think my problem is the Yukon, and not the trailer, but I could be wrong.

I need to find a way to check my tongue weight.  And I have a friend with an F150 that has offered to let me see if the sway happens with it.

Edited by RyanB

Here is my thread from last year, so you can keep yours clean.

And, from reading through it, I still need to verify tongue weight like i said i would do last year.....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/60818-calling-1500-towers-full-size-suv-especially/#comment-926539

Edited by RyanB
13 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Lars, I didn't want to derail your thread, but since you asked......

Amount of fuel in the boat doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't think the alignment or wheel assemblies are the problem, but I have never formally checked.  What I can say is that I estimate I have towed the trailer between 15,000 - 20,000 miles, and trailer tire wear is normal.  I would think if there was an issue, I would have visual evidence by now.

I bought the Yukon as an upgrade for a 2003 2500 Burb.  The Burb had no sway.

My "long distance" tow vehicle is a 3500 RAM, which has no sway either.

For these reasons, I think my problem is the Yukon, and not the trailer, but I could be wrong.

I need to find a way to check my tongue weight.  And I have a friend with an F150 that has offered to let me see if the sway happens with it.

I wish I could help more with trailer mechanics but that is about all I have to offer. Is the Tahoe the lightest tow vehicle you have? Perhaps it's weight is less than the others and definitely less than the boat you are towing. In that case, the object with the most mass, your boat on this case will overcome the truck at higher speeds. Just guessing as I'm out of ideas. Wish I could be more help. Which boat do you currently have?

@LarsJensen, It is a Yukon Denali XL.  And it is the lightest tow vehicle we currently have, although I used to tow my 5500 pound Crownline with my 2005 Grand Cherokee.  And it did fine.

Current boat is a 2014 23LSV.  I weighed it before I bought it, and it was 6050 pounds.  So I would estimate around 6500 going to the lake.