Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Norman trip early April.

mainekneeboarder

Looks like we are headed to Lake Norman N.C. in early April, (4-10?) We are headed to see My girlfriends son in Maryland for a couple days, then head to N.C. for a few days with friends, see my uncle and go to the Charlotte auto fair with him, and stay on Lake Norman. We were there a few years ago about the same time and the weather was pretty good but the water was still a little cold. I'm guessing most locals wont be out much by then, but figured Id ask if any of the ski courses are usually in at that time of year? It looks like there is three on the lake as near as I can tell. I tried to find them last time with no luck. Any info would be great. Hows the water level look this year so far? We are staying in the same campground as last time there, and its at the end of a cove that was pretty shallow.

The water level should be fine. I am aware of three courses however one is on the Lake Davidson side by interstate 77. One is a accu sink off exit 33 run by a club. You might be able to contact them to use it. The third is near the point and public. Water temp I find is OK in April and the lake is empty!

See the link below for water temps, remember this si the surface temp and its colder more than a quarter inch down. :) Its been in the 70- 80's so it should warm up for ya, Enjoy!

http://www.bestoflakenorman.com/about_lake_norman/weather/WaterTemp/day.php

If you PM Ndawg12 he will tell you all the secret spots to find smooth water. :dontknow:

Edited by jcon44
2 hours ago, jcon44 said:

See the link below for water temps, remember this si the surface temp and its colder more than a quarter inch down. :) Its been in the 70- 80's so it should warm up for ya, Enjoy!

If you PM Ndawg12 he will tell you all the secret spots to find smooth water. :dontknow:

Thanks for the link, I actually monitor that already thou. I notice last summer it was really high like 96-98 a few days. figured it must be up in some shallow water cove rite on the surface.

There was a boat on a lift very similar to yours rite next to the campground we stayed at, is that you?

I'll have to get in touch with him.

2 hours ago, jcon44 said:

27 minutes ago, mainekneeboarder said:

Thanks for the link, I actually monitor that already thou. I notice last summer it was really high like 96-98 a few days. figured it must be up in some shallow water cove rite on the surface.

There was a boat on a lift very similar to yours rite next to the campground we stayed at, is that you?

I'll have to get in touch with him.

No need to PM, I'll post it out here for everyone!!!

31 minutes ago, mainekneeboarder said:

No not me, i think i know the campground you are referring to though. I am further south on the lake. Hit me up if you have questions.

The campground is Wildlife woods. I would say its mid way up the lake (Just below the RT150 bridges if I remember rite), on the east side. Bunch of marinas in that area of the lake. There was actually a pretty calm area rite close to there where it opened up a bit. 

1 hour ago, mainekneeboarder said:

The campground is Wildlife woods. I would say its mid way up the lake (Just below the RT150 bridges if I remember rite), on the east side. Bunch of marinas in that area of the lake. There was actually a pretty calm area rite close to there where it opened up a bit. 

OK, that's the one I was thinking of. Yes, there should be a few decent spots in that area. I've only been back in that cove once and I remember it being fairly shallow too. Water level is right about normal now after a very low fall and winter. The spring is typically on the high side due to rain so you should have that going for you.

• 1 month later...

Getting stuff ready to head out Monday morning, Are any of you on lake Norman out yet? Do you know if the ski courses are being used yet? Can't wait to be there, I think we have arranged to extend our stay a few days too.

Don't know about the ski courses however the lake temp on the south end is fine. We brought wet suits but ended up not even using them and swam for 20 minutes off the back of the boat. 

Edited by Sailvi767