Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POSSIBLE NEW MALIBU OWNER

bottlefedsi

Hello everyone, my name is Sean and I currently own a 2016 Axis A22, looking to upgrade to a little finer fit an finish boat.  I love the wave on the Axis but some of the little things that annoy you as you go along is causing me to consider other options.  My choices are 2017 22MXZ or 2017 G23.  I really love the wave on the MXZ but the fit and finish is little underwhelming from a 157k boat.  The wave on the G23 is excellent but the fit and finish is like being in a Mercedes Benz on the water, plus some other great features on both boats.  I would also be conserned with resale value, hard to get a true number on the MXZ as this is the first year on the redesign, however, the G23 has proven itself time and time again with resale, so if someone could help me with some advice I would appreciate it tremendously.

Where are you getting $157K for the 22 MXZ from, is it MSRP or is that in Canadian $? What's the G23 for comparison?

The MXZ redesign will help their resale for sure, since it now has a great surf wave with stock and minimal PNP ballast. The rest of the boat is from current Malibu components, so there's really nothing unproven on it.

14 hours ago, bottlefedsi said:

Yeah you guys are right, that is MSRP obviously. The boat can be had for 119xxx while the G23 can be had for 129xxx.

Don't get me wrong, the Malibu is a great boat buuut for 10k more you can buy the 23' wakeboat flagship..... done...

I would get the dealer down on the 22 or buy the G for such a small diff. You should be able to get the dealer down on the 22

I have been told that he cost diff in the 22 MXZ and the 23 LSV is only about 2500

So it sounds like you're looking a loaded 22MXZ vs. more of a base G23, relatively speaking at least. What else is going to factor into your decision process (how do you use it, storage, towing or lift issues with either size boat)?

Have you demoed both boats already too or are you talking about the waves based on pics and forum feedback?

I'm with you on the fit and finish of the G too, but are you looking for that level of trim now or were you just blown away after going from the Axis to the G? If I were going from an A22, the MXZ would still be a big upgrade in the overall interior, even if it's not quite the G.

I finally got the total out the door on the MXZ, it has all the flake you can put on it, 450, G4, no audio as i am doing myself for 113,950 minus my trade 16 A22 with 207 hours, 1k deposit at boat show - 114,159.

The G23 is pretty much base except for flake, pebble, heather, bow cushion, sun cushion, 135,565

I live just outside of Orlando Florida, the sales guys were preaching 450 for the power when loaded down surfing, I demoed both motors and the 450 seemed quieter and more power obviously.

On 2/23/2017 at 2:26 PM, NWBU said:

So it sounds like you're looking a loaded 22MXZ vs. more of a base G23, relatively speaking at least. What else is going to factor into your decision process (how do you use it, storage, towing or lift issues with either size boat)?

Have you demoed both boats already too or are you talking about the waves based on pics and forum feedback?

I'm with you on the fit and finish of the G too, but are you looking for that level of trim now or were you just blown away after going from the Axis to the G? If I were going from an A22, the MXZ would still be a big upgrade in the overall interior, even if it's not quite the G.

We usually only use it on the weekends, 6-7 person crew, stored inside no more than a mile from the lake, towing is the other issue, the MXZ I can tow with my 2wd Tacoma, G cannot, no lift.  I have demoed the G21 and the 22MXZ but not the G23.  I was really unimpressed with the wave on the G21 hoping the G23 would be better because the 22MXZ was unreal.

I agree with Pnwrider, the 410 is going to be just fine for you, even for surfing with a large crew. The 450 would be just for bragging rights in that boat, would only be a benefit at high altitudes and wouldn't do that much for you on resale.

I've seen the 410 push a LOT more weight in a 23LSV than you'll likely have with a full crew with no problem at all, and the 22MXZ wave you loved only needs 450-500lb PNPs a side with the redesign.

I have a 350 in the 23lsv.. pushing close to 4,000lbs of ballast, wedge ranging from fully deployed to top click, and up to 12 crew, normal is 5 crew. Cannot remember my prop but it is a 15". I have not seen what my WOT is when fully ballasted but have surfed up to 12.8 mph with no issues.. rpms at 12.8 i believe were at 3700-3800. I am pretty much at sea level.

On 2/23/2017 at 0:28 PM, bottlefedsi said:

22mxz has the following

G4, 450, all flake possible

G23 has the following

450 standard, flake front and rear, level one audio

I would target under 110 for that 22.

On 2/22/2017 at 0:47 PM, bottlefedsi said:

Hello everyone, my name is Sean and I currently own a 2016 Axis A22, looking to upgrade to a little finer fit an finish boat.  I love the wave on the Axis but some of the little things that annoy you as you go along is causing me to consider other options.  My choices are 2017 22MXZ or 2017 G23.  I really love the wave on the MXZ but the fit and finish is little underwhelming from a 157k boat.  The wave on the G23 is excellent but the fit and finish is like being in a Mercedes Benz on the water, plus some other great features on both boats.  I would also be conserned with resale value, hard to get a true number on the MXZ as this is the first year on the redesign, however, the G23 has proven itself time and time again with resale, so if someone could help me with some advice I would appreciate it tremendously.

If the end of your sentence is true, and there is only a 10k difference between the '17 22 MXZ vs. '17 G23, it would be a tough decision to arrive at but I would go with the G23 all day. The G23 is the pinnacle of Wake Boats at the moment and I have yet to come across anyone who is dissatisfied with that product... To give you an idea, I never saw anybody trade in their G21 / G23 / G25 for a Malibu product. It was always people trading their Malibu, Mastercraft, Centurion, etc. in for a G series model. The wake / wave performance is great, the ergonomics are dialed, and the QAQC is good as it gets in the marine industry. 

I will say that the 22 MXZ will in all likely drive better with and without ballast than the G23, as well as have a more scalable wakeboard wake that is friendly for all levels of riders. The optional G4 tower, CS surf bimini, and PTM Edge clamping racks are a premium offering for a tower set up compared to its competitors. IMO, I would go 410 or 575 engine as the performance gains do not convert to the value of upgrade cost of the 450. 

With you being outside of Orlando, I assume the dealers are Tommys and Nautique of Orlando. Both are solid dealers, as I'm sure you've found, so you shouldn't have any issues with receiving good service. Best of luck and post pics with whatever you go with!

• Like 3
On 2/25/2017 at 11:10 AM, UpperleftWake said:

If the end of your sentence is true, and there is only a 10k difference between the '17 22 MXZ vs. '17 G23, it would be a tough decision to arrive at but I would go with the G23 all day. The G23 is the pinnacle of Wake Boats at the moment and I have yet to come across anyone who is dissatisfied with that product... To give you an idea, I never saw anybody trade in their G21 / G23 / G25 for a Malibu product. It was always people trading their Malibu, Mastercraft, Centurion, etc. in for a G series model. The wake / wave performance is great, the ergonomics are dialed, and the QAQC is good as it gets in the marine industry. 

I will say that the 22 MXZ will in all likely drive better with and without ballast than the G23, as well as have a more scalable wakeboard wake that is friendly for all levels of riders. The optional G4 tower, CS surf bimini, and PTM Edge clamping racks are a premium offering for a tower set up compared to its competitors. IMO, I would go 410 or 575 engine as the performance gains do not convert to the value of upgrade cost of the 450. 

With you being outside of Orlando, I assume the dealers are Tommys and Nautique of Orlando. Both are solid dealers, as I'm sure you've found, so you shouldn't have any issues with receiving good service. Best of luck and post pics with whatever you go with!

You know, the G23 drove like a mercedes, no bow rise but the wave loaded down was alitte Meeeeehhhhh, but the fit and finish is hard to pas up.  I could do the MXZ with 410 for 108 but when we demoed both 410 and 450, the 450 just felt like it was a better fit but 7k more for a motor I dont need and doesnt help on resale, thats something to consider.  I was able to get a better deal on the G as well so now the decision is even harder.  You are correct on dealers being Tommy's and Nautique of Orlando.  I purchased my current Axis from Tommy's and they are top notch but the only thing better IMO on the MXZ is the surf wave.  We do so much more than surf so basing a 100k plus decision on just surf wave seems foolish.  The G23 really feels like a 100k plus boat where the MXZ just feels like an Axis with more electronics.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

You know, the G23 drove like a mercedes, no bow rise but the wave loaded down was alitte Meeeeehhhhh, but the fit and finish is hard to pas up.  I could do the MXZ with 410 for 108 but when we demoed both 410 and 450, the 450 just felt like it was a better fit but 7k more for a motor I dont need and doesnt help on resale, thats something to consider.  I was able to get a better deal on the G as well so now the decision is even harder.  You are correct on dealers being Tommy's and Nautique of Orlando.  I purchased my current Axis from Tommy's and they are top notch but the only thing better IMO on the MXZ is the surf wave.  We do so much more than surf so basing a 100k plus decision on just surf wave seems foolish.  The G23 really feels like a 100k plus boat where the MXZ just feels like an Axis with more electronics.

The G23 does indeed drive nice and has the advantage over 22 MXZ in rough water. What I was implying in my last post was that I felt like the 22 MXZ was a more nimble and easier to navigate when docking and trailering... responsiveness is the word I am after perhaps? The G23 can get caught up in the wind a lil' bit more with its higher gunwales, but if it's usually that windy I am heading back to the docks. The 22 MXZ also seems to adjust better, on the fly, when tweaking the wave (height and length that is). It's a great looking wave and rides well, but I do like the shape of the G23 better as it provides more of a "lip" which better suits my preference... I wouldn't complain to ride either if given the choice as they're both sweet. Your last statement is pretty accurate, although I would give the new 22 MXZ a lil bit more credit than that. I.e. The 12" Viper 2 dash is up there as far as helm displays go. Got any pics of said 22 MXZ and/or G23? 

• Like 1
Just now, UpperleftWake said:

The G23 does indeed drive nice and has the advantage over 22 MXZ in rough water. What I was implying in my last post was that I felt like the 22 MXZ was a more nimble and easier to navigate when docking and trailering... responsiveness is the word I am after perhaps? The G23 can get caught up in the wind a lil' bit more with its higher gunwales, but if it's usually that windy I am heading back to the docks. The 22 MXZ also seems to adjust better, on the fly, when tweaking the wave (height and length that is). It's a great looking wave and rides well, but I do like the shape of the G23 better as it provides more of a "lip" which better suits my preference... I wouldn't complain to ride either if given the choice as they're both sweet. Your last statement is pretty accurate, although I would give the new 22 MXZ a lil bit more credit than that. I.e. The 12" Viper 2 dash is up there as far as helm displays go. Got any pics of said 22 MXZ and/or G23? 

Im not sure how to post them, I have to order both boths so they are just builds at the moment.

Just now, bottlefedsi said:

Im not sure how to post them, I have to order both boths so they are just builds at the moment.

Ah I see... Was just looking for some mid-day eye candy to gander at ;).

Me too, do you have any experience with adding more weight to the G than the stock ballast?  If adding helps make the wave taller this would be a no brainer for me. lol

I follow you on Instagram, if you follow me, same name, you would see the builds there

• Like 2