Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best aftermarket wakesurf device

PDav19

Best after market wakesurf device   

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best aftermarket wakesurf device?

• Mission Delta
    • Ronix Eight.3
    • Roswell Deflector
    • Wakesurf Edge
    • Swell
    • Suck Gate

Must +2 on the best wakesurf device.. I have gosurfassist and it is awesome.. It does not fall off the boat ever... can perform transfers while riding... 

I have to ask how swell was on the list.. Swell is a Supra factory installed surf system.

7 hours ago, PDav19 said:

Best aftermarket wakesurf device?

Depends on what's important to you.  Functional? Appearance? Price? Ease of use? 

They all seem to function about the same, nothing magic here.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:56 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Why did you leave the best one off the list?

https://www.wakemakers.com/wavecontrol

As someone who has a copy of the Ronix, it works great but would must prefer Wave Control over it.  Automated > stuck to side of boat.  

the price of viable options have gone down dramatically in the last 3 years. You can now get a suction device that's quick and easy for cheap.

i love this system, but it's priced waaay out of the current market.

50 minutes ago, braindamage said:

the price of viable options have gone down dramatically in the last 3 years. You can now get a suction device that's quick and easy for cheap.

You hit the nail on the head by referring to GSA as a SYSTEM.

Not an apples to apples comparison with the devices. So completely different audience in the current market.

Which is better would be determined by the requirements/expectations of the buyer.  Starting season three with my GSA with absolutely no regrets.

1 hour ago, braindamage said:

Think about this. To get a properly setup surf boat, you are looking at 25k minimum and likely spending a lot more. I wouldn't say that price is out of the market at all. 

Someone with a 40k boat wants a automates surf system but doesn't want to spend another 30k to get a little newer used boat with one - this makes it a very viable option. 

If I can't convince the wife on a boat upgrade for next year, the GSA (or something similar) will be getting installed.  

A block on the side of the boat adds nothing to resale.  An automated system does. 

I think the GSA/ Wave Control is a great concept....... beyond that it offers a varying degree of success depending on which boat/ hull you apply it to. 

Ive seen and know of a few  installs, and been part of a few discussions about this matter in general. Even the boats that use GSA as a factory provided surf system struggle. 

Take a look at the MB forums ....and I happen to know a few of these guys that opted out of GSA for what they call "flappers" ...(read homemade Surfgate) because they plain work better on those hulls. The MB I was on last year, B52...23ft, it would hardly build a goofy wave...which is odd....was super finicky , AND had the option of tons of weight available to try and make it work. Guy that owns it has been super frustrated with it to say the least. 

I know another guy that installed the GSA on a 247 and had similar results. Very difficult to get it right , and when it was "right" it was nowhere near as good as a basic listed wave.  

One other dude I know put it on a 2012 Supra 21v  and it seems to not be as finicky and works "ok" . I haven't seen an application where it gets anywhere close to a stellar wave output as of yet. 

I really think @martinarcher's  automated controls and your own SG setup is a legit option for those looking for a fully automated system. 

Edited by Bawshogg
15 minutes ago, PDav19 said:

What makes the Mission the top pick? 

Marketing and the fact they where early in the game. Maybe because it's the most expensive suction device. 

Bawshogg has it right. For a deep V the GSA works well. For a Malibu like flatter bottom the surf gates or suck gates are optimal. Martinarcher makes a great control system if you're up to installing your own gates.

I just ordered the Nauticurl one, mainly for the low cost (200$) and it just looks well built and doesn't take up too much space. It is a one piece aluminum frame (comes with a leash, it obviously doesn't float), looks pretty sturdy and it seems like it will be easy to store under a seat. I should get it in the next couple days, but won't be able to use it until the lake thaws... in may :woot:

https://nauticurl.com/

25_1024x1024.JPG?v=1483849005

The only down side I see to the GSA/ Wave Control after one season is I have lost my leverage when trying to convince my wife we need a new boat. :( I really don't see much of a need either other than the fact I want a new boat.