Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Woofer advice

soonerbilly

I asked this over on WW, but not getting any advice. I've had a JL 12w3 for the past couple of seasons and have tried a few different boxes/setups. Sounds decent but I want my walkway space back for my cooler. I have tried to design a box for under my helm, but its REALLY small under there and with the steering column/cable in the way I can only get to .9 ft^3( maybe even less). SO my question is would a ported 10w6 give me more sound than an undersized 12w3 sealed box. Not trying to win any sound contests just want the most out of my space. Currently have a jx500 on the 12w3. Thanks for any input.

.9 external gross is much closer to the net internal displacement required for a 10" sub. For example, the sealed 10W3, using 3/4" stock, would need an external enclosure of just over 1. cu.ft. to obtain a net internal displacement of about 0.625. A 12" in a seriously undersized enclosure may play louder at some higher bass frequency but will have decidedly less output at the lowest registers when compared to a properly loaded 10". The shape of the response curve will dictate sound quality. Ideally you want a sub bass curve with a mild & broad crest, but not a profound mid bass hump followed by a premature and rapid low bass roll-off.   

^^^^That's a bit over my head. The .9 is a "guess" on the INTERNAL (Its prob less). So lest just say its .80 internal volume. Is it worth the money to jump to the 10w6 or just go with a 10w3?

45 minutes ago, soonerbilly said:

^^^^That's a bit over my head. The .9 is a "guess" on the INTERNAL (Its prob less). So lest just say its .80 internal volume. Is it worth the money to jump to the 10w6 or just go with a 10w3?

Starting off speaking sealed only: So if you have .50 net internal after driver, or about .60 internal before driver, then the JL Audio 10W6 works ideally. The 10W3 needs a bit larger box, at about .625 net internal or .7 gross internal.

The W6 is a longer excursion driver and requires more power.

So perhaps 400 watts on a 10W3 or 600 watts on a 10W6 in order to get optimum performance. If you don't have the extra power then the 10W3 becomes a better choice.

It would be nice to run ported but that requires an inordinate increase in box size. A sealed 12" requires a similar size of enclosure to a ported 10". So for a ported 10" check to see if you can fit a 1.65 cu.ft. box external. A ported 10" within the same series should have a small output and bass extension advantage over a sealed 12".       

I got the jx500    not really wanting to add amp AND sub. Guess ill be keeping the walkway box another year. I really wish someone worth a crap was in my area to take it to have a custom one made.