Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Magic Hull Cleaner Solution

Calling all chemists,

While on vacation last week I cleaned my hull with the 50/50 toilet bowl cleaner & H2O2 solution. After polishing and waxing, my hull looks beautiful and brand new.

However, I got some of the solution on the brass rudder, fins and prop and it turned the metal on the rudder black and may have caused some pitting on the surface of the rudder. The prop is stained.

Has anyone experienced this before? Am I imagining the pitting? Can anyone explain this?

Be careful if you use the magic solution.

Thanks.

John

Never had a problem with it on metal parts. I did try it out on the "ocean-going yacht" and found that it will stain the bottom paint.

Use these easy instructions to combine common household ingredients to make your own copper, brass, and bronze cleaner.

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Stir in the liquid ingredients. Mix well.

Transfer the cleaning mixture to a glass jar. Close the jar tightly and label it.

To use the cleaner, shake a small amount onto a cloth and rub it into the surface of the copper, brass, or bronze object. Use a toothbrush for hard-to-reach areas. Rinse with water and rub dry with a clean cloth.

What You Need:

1/2 c flour

1/2 c salt

1/2 c powdered detergent

3/4 c white vinegar

1/4 c lemon juice

1/2 c very warm water

bowl

spoon

measuring cups

quart jar with lid

Use these easy instructions to combine common household ingredients to make your own copper, brass, and bronze cleaner.

Transfer the cleaning mixture to a glass jar. Close the jar tightly and label it.

To use the cleaner, shake a small amount onto a cloth and rub it into the surface of the copper, brass, or bronze object. Use a toothbrush for hard-to-reach areas. Rinse with water and rub dry with a clean cloth.

What You Need:

1/2 c flour

1/2 c salt

1/2 c powdered detergent

3/4 c white vinegar

1/4 c lemon juice

1/2 c very warm water

bowl

spoon

measuring cups

quart jar with lid

It also works well as a meat rub. Apply liberally to beef or pork during cooking. ;)

What You Need:

1/2 c flour

1/2 c salt

1/2 c powdered detergent

3/4 c white vinegar

1/4 c lemon juice

1/2 c very warm water

bowl

spoon

measuring cups

quart jar with lid

It also works well as a meat rub. Apply liberally to beef or pork during cooking. ;)

Needs some garlic for a marinade Crazy.gif

What You Need:

1/2 c flour

1/2 c salt

1/2 c powdered detergent

3/4 c white vinegar

1/4 c lemon juice

1/2 c very warm water

bowl

spoon

measuring cups

quart jar with lid

Needs some garlic for a marinade Crazy.gif

I would try using it in place of the detergent.

I just got done using the "solution" on my boat and I made sure to keep it away from the metal hand rails, prop, wedge, rudder, etc...but I forgot to take off my ring Whistling.gif and now it looks like its 100 years old. Anyone have any idea how to get it back to normal?

I just got done using the "solution" on my boat and I made sure to keep it away from the metal hand rails, prop, wedge, rudder, etc...but I forgot to take off my ring Whistling.gif and now it looks like its 100 years old. Anyone have any idea how to get it back to normal?

You're supposed to wear gloves...

Your ring is made of what metal?

Aren't you getting a new one soon. Innocent.gif

You're supposed to wear gloves...

Your ring is made of what metal?

I think silver Dontknow.gif

Aren't you getting a new one soon. Innocent.gif

:lol: ...Not for a while

FWIW - I just did the same thing 2 weeks ago and had the same result on the prop & fins where the solution sprayed got on it. Even looked like rust residue running down one of the fins!?!?! Regardless the stuff took of 1 1/2 years of reside that washing would not. No scrubbing needed! I used Sno Bol with thte H202.

Jay