Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis A22 (2016) VS. Moomba Craz (2017)

Dhoffman

Was just talking about a similar comparison the other day, T23 vs Mojo. Just based on looks I would go Moomba, but driving and surfing them could change that. I like that Moomba looks more like a Malibu than Axis and and half windshield on the Axis has always bothered me. Everyone will tell you to test them both first, enjoy.

I had a 2015 Axis T22 and now have a 2017 Moomba Craz. Haven't found any negatives so far in my switch but only have about 5 hours of break in on it because of the weather here. 

Another 'cost' to consider is the Moomba will come with ballast bags installed, the Axis won't unless the dealer did it. That's easily $500-$1000 depending on where you buy them and if you install them yourself. 

Fit/finish/noise levels are all much better on the Moomba, both drive nice and smooth steering wise so I can't discount one over the other. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, That Guy said:

I had a 2015 Axis T22 and now have a 2017 Moomba Craz. Haven't found any negatives so far in my switch but only have about 5 hours of break in on it because of the weather here. 

Another 'cost' to consider is the Moomba will come with ballast bags installed, the Axis won't unless the dealer did it. That's easily $500-$1000 depending on where you buy them and if you install them yourself. 

Fit/finish/noise levels are all much better on the Moomba, both drive nice and smooth steering wise so I can't discount one over the other. 

The biggest downside to the Moomba is you won't find as many of those owners on this site. :biggrin: As for fit , finish and noise that's personal opinion and what a demo and surfpipe is for, and don't forget to look behind you because the Axis Wake is amazing. As far as surf systems, two words Surf Gate way more years of use and refinement. Find a demo day or just go see for yourself. :thumbup: Go Bu!!!!

I was in the market last year. I was between the T22 and the Craz but demoed a Mojo and an A22. I liked a lot of thing about the Moomba but in the end went the the T22. The demo was the key for us. Everyone in our family agreed that we liked the wake and wave of the Axis better.  Not saying it was better. Just better for us.

Edited by Simo
  • Like 2

I didn't like the design of the Axis windshield when they first came out, but after buying my A22 I really like it. You can reach straight out and grab the dock and hop in and out of the drivers seat really easy.

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I didn't like the design of the Axis windshield when they first came out, but after buying my A22 I really like it. You can reach straight out and grab the dock and hop in and out of the drivers seat really easy.

It's awesome pulling into dock, hitting reverse and just grab the dock... if I ever get to make the jump to an mxz I will miss that feature for sure

Edited by powderski14
13 hours ago, That Guy said:

According to Moomba, those ballast bags are cost options:  https://crm.skierschoice.com/files/redactor/documents/2017/02/08/Craz_Options_Specs.pdf

For the T22, here are the bags you need (price are before the 10% discount if you are a paid TMC member):  $340 for the front bag:

https://www.wakemakers.com/axis-hiflo-pnp-front-factory-ballast-upgrade.html

$466 for the rear bags:

https://www.wakemakers.com/axis-hiflo-pnp-front-factory-ballast-upgrade.html

That said, I was impressed with the improvements Moomba has made when taking a quick look at the boat show.  Where I was highly disappointed in the Supra lineup, I thought the Moomba's have really stepped up their game.  One thing to consider is the Craz is a 100" beam boat where the A22 & T22 are 102" beams...beam makes a huge difference in the interior size of the boat.  

Had a friend that we wakeboarded/surfed with last summer that took a few rides behind his friends 2016 Craz. Not sure on the setup but he said he could hardly surf it and preferred the wake/wave to my 2015 A22. Craz is a good looking boat but I don't think I would trade my Axis for one. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, powderski14 said:

It's awesome pulling into dock, hitting reverse and just grab the dock... if I ever get to make the jump to an mxz I will miss that feature for sure

I don't miss it at all.  The space there was so tight, and I always feared of having my arm trapped between the glass and the tower while trying to hold the boat still.  I much prefer just reaching over the windshield on the VLX.

5 hours ago, 67King said:

I don't miss it at all.  The space there was so tight, and I always feared of having my arm trapped between the glass and the tower while trying to hold the boat still.  I much prefer just reaching over the windshield on the VLX.

Did you have an Axis with the old tower? The new tower on the 2015s and up gives you enough room to jump from the driver seat straight to the dock.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, That Guy said:

I know its a BU site, but wouldn't mind seeing some photos of the Moomba!!!

9 hours ago, 67King said:

I'm with you.  I really thought I would love the half windshield but just the opposite.  

21 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Did you have an Axis with the old tower? The new tower on the 2015s and up gives you enough room to jump from the driver seat straight to the dock.

I had a 2011 A22.  Didn't care for the updated tower's look, but wasn't aware they opened it up that much.

I have a 2015 A22 red flake and black. absolutely  love that boat.  stereo pack 3...awesome.  surfed me at 220 lbs but did have 4000 ballast.  at 200 lbs I  can go back 15 ft from swim platform to tip of board and battle back.  

1 hour ago, teamerickson said:

I have not seen any pictures or video that would make chose the Craz over the A22. Surfgate works so well. 

Yep and it's simple. Fill ballast and pick a side. Moomba system takes more tweaking to get dialed. 

• Like 1

The A22 is a solid performing boat, and my favorite in the Axis line up. The wakeboard wakes are consistent and throw a good surf wave out of the box with Plug n' Play. The Starboard sur will be better than the Port out of the box due to prop rotation, so you may have to add a lil' bit of counter weight to improve the Port side. I am more of fan of the 2016 dash than the 2017 dash due to aesthetics, but both function rather well in my experiences. I liked the windshield as it provided better communication when picking up a downed rider... I can stay seated as opposed to having to stand up a talk over a wrapped windshield. PEG engine with gear reduction, if equipped with 5.7L and at or around sea level, should provide all the pulling power you'd need.

Surf Gate no doubt works, but at the drawback of more drag (horizontal) and decreased steering ability when loaded up with a decent crew / Plug n' Play / Wedge deployed. The nice thing is you hit a button (Surf Left or Surf Right) and you're good to go. The Moomba 2.0 Flow requires a bit more refining when initially dialing in the percentage of deployment for Flow 2.0, but does deploy vertical for less drag. Surf Gate was first to market on the Wake Devices back in late 2012, and the upgraded hydraulic rams in MY 2016 provide a sturdy / reliable way of deployment and retracting over the previously used Lenco actuators.

As said above, demo both boats back to back if you have the ability to. If you can, bring those who you'll be out with (family + friends) to best simulate the boating experience moving forward. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I was reading through this and was curious if many of you guys have ridden behind a Craz?   I have a buddy who just got one and with all the autowake and 3 tabs on the back, we could barely get a surfable wake.  The wakeboard wake was VERY nice, but we just couldn't get much push for surfing.  Just curious if anyone has any input.  Trying to help him out.