Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cheap(er) sunglasses?

RedOwl

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, hunter77ah said:

Bomber shades. They run 20% off most of the time and I've had my pair for 2 years now. Pretty comfy and polarized.

And awful optics. I keep a few pair of those in the boat for loaners, they give me a headache.

I've been using bolle's forever. Not cheap, but not too pricey. They don't float, so don't throw them in the water. They usually last me 4-5 years before they get lost or too scratched to wear.

Bolle Sport Anaconda Sunglasses (Dark Tortoise/Polarized Axis) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R3657C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_88ySyb723HKN4 

On 2/21/2017 at 2:12 PM, RedOwl said:

When it comes to pens and sunglasses, the more I pay = the faster I lose them.

Can anyone recommend a decent brand/store for polarized sunglasses? I want to avoid the $200 Ray-Bans AND the $20 truck-stop glasses

Sun Cloud brand from amazon. IMHO Sun Cloud is a good quality not as expensive (usually $69 to $89 on amazon depending on the style). Either gray lens or brown. I like the brown as it takes cloudy days and makes them bright while still taming the bright sunny days. Good luck 

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

Great timing on this thread. I was just looking around on Amazon for something cheap to carry on the boat this year..  The wife had a hard time getting over the two pairs of Oakleys I lost last season.

I was thinking also about the Costco kind of wayfarer knockoffs (Kirkland).  They look pretty decent.  Often, I just get some cheapies from Target.  I have a hard time holding onto sunglasses for some reason.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw

I found Kreed sunglasses at a surf shop in Hawaii . I have since bought several more pairs from their website. Great looks and nice quality.  Most are $30 to $40

• 2 weeks later...

My wife was thinking about getting pair of Costa del Mars until she saw the price.   Like me, she figured they would fall in the lake the second she bought them based on the price.

The happy medium she found was a set of Pepper's sunglasses.

http://www.peppersusa.com/

Nice polarized glass, very clear, and not super pricy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 8:11 AM, braindamage said:

I've been using bolle's forever. Not cheap, but not too pricey. They don't float, so don't throw them in the water. They usually last me 4-5 years before they get lost or too scratched to wear.

Bolle Sport Anaconda Sunglasses (Dark Tortoise/Polarized Axis) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R3657C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_88ySyb723HKN4 

Bolle/Bushnell has an outlet near me.  They have a table in the store with $25.00 glasses all summer.  Usually discontinued colors or styles.  sometimes just overstocks.  they give you 1/2 the second pair.  So you can pick up 2 pair for around 40 bucks.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

Time to bring this thread back to life.  Need some new sunglasses.  Done with Oakleys as I've dropped too many in the lake.  Have a pair of Costa Del Mar Jose's which feel heavy but don't take them on the boat for fear of losing. 

Have been using some KastKing's Hiwassee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6HNS5W?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k4_1_10&amp&crid=3LOOSNXF9FA7C&amp&sprefix=kastking+h  that are lightweight and good optics but the lenses start to peel/flake on two different pairs after 1 season.  I would love to find a decent alternative in the $50-$100 range if I can get a couple years out of them.  Need to be polarized, lighter weight and cover the eyes well as I have a seat riser so face is above the windshield and hate when the wind makes my eyes water.   

Whatcha got TMC??

I got some floating shades from Amazon and have used them all summer and lose them constantly. Takes them a minute to float back up to surface but they work well. They were 25 bucks I think?  My go to for years since I kept donating Oakleys to the lake are the polarized Ozark trail sunglasses in the fishing section at Walmart. I have no less than 5 pairs on the boat at all times and I have probably another dozen pairs on the bottom  of the lake. But they are 5 bucks a pair and I dont feel bad to lose them. Just have the boat swing by and toss me another set. 

17 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

I've used these on the boat for this summer, and they are good because they float.

https://www.rheosgear.com/

Sure enough these were all over my Facebook profile last evening so I am going to try them.  Do they have the large foam pads like the bomber glasses used?  I hated those.

2 hours ago, Skiwampus said:

Can't go wrong with Shady Rays.  They always have discounts of varying amounts and the best part is that if you lose or break them, they replace them for $8, no questions asked.   You can replace each pair twice.  Drop them in the water?  Get a new pair!

https://www.shadyrays.com

I really like Shady Rays too. Affordable enough to have a pair everywhere and I appreciate the replacement option. 50% off is fairly common.

I've been using Bomber sunnies the last couple years and they have worked pretty well.  They float so when you go out the front double ejecto slalom skiing you can recover your glasses at least! Pretty good price, always running sales.

Edited by Jhucke