Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cheap(er) sunglasses?

RedOwl

When it comes to pens and sunglasses, the more I pay = the faster I lose them.

Can anyone recommend a decent brand/store for polarized sunglasses? I want to avoid the $200 Ray-Bans AND the $20 truck-stop glasses

Not sure if they still make them but I had a pair of duck commander polarized sunglasses from Walmart for  $35 if I remember right... had them for 3 years and loved them...they were good fishing glasses until i broke them.

I like oakley gascans, after losing 3 in 3 weeks to the bottom of the lake last year wife put me on restriction. So now I keep Chinese oakleys on the boat. $18 a set

I bought a package of Tifosi sunglasses several years back on ebay. A pack of 4 for $100. I can no longer find that deal, but I still have the glasses and I think they are great. Granted mine weren't polarized, but you can get them that way. For the cost, I think they are well worth the money.

3 hours ago, RedOwl said:

When it comes to pens and sunglasses, the more I pay = the faster I lose them.

Can anyone recommend a decent brand/store for polarized sunglasses? I want to avoid the $200 Ray-Bans AND the $20 truck-stop glasses

Guideline makes great polarized glasses.  Available at Cabella's or Amazon.  The kind with readers built in (for us with older eyes) cost about $80. Cheaper without the readers.

Sun Cloud are similar.

Second the recommendation for Bomber Sunglasses. I just received my first pair and after 20% off, they were about $30.00. They are polarized and they float. Still love my Costas, but these are my choice on the boat.

Spy has some floating models as well and I love the lenses they offer, the "happy lenses" can make a rainy day fun. The only down side is the price. 

Funny story, teaching some newbies how to surf. So I was giving instructions while underway on the swim grid sitting/the back engine cover. Somehow they crashed and the rope caught my glasses off my head and into the water they went. Turn back around to pick up my buddy and as we get to them I see the white glow in the water, slowly skinking. I dive in a manage to actually get them.    That's probably thanks to our extremely clear water!!:biggrin:

I have been wearing Edge Eyewear glasses for several years now. They are safety glasses and have polarized options. Durability is off the chart. They don't float so I just put on a float strap on the boat. Go to their website and watch the test videos! I buy a new pair every year. Cost for polarized options is $20-28 from amazon.

Aliexpress has an unlimited selection of knock-offs.  Almost any brand/style you can think of for really cheap.  I've bought off of there without any issues (shipping is slow-boat from China, though.)

I usually buy 20ish pairs when I'm in Asia and have a good selection of "boat glasses" for anyone to use.

I picked up a pair of non polarized electric technicians off eBay for roughly $30 when I lost my pair of polarized last year in the lake.  Then went to fuse lenses online and ordered a set of polarized replacement lenses for roughly 30.  Fuse ships for free. Cheap but good replacement lenses for all brands.  They even do prescription lenses if I recall correctly. 

I need a prescription since I'm near sighted so I can't do the ultra inexpensive. I keep going back to spy Dirks for their feel and fit. I tried a set of the floating dragon glasses but I hate them. Big waste of money. They are so light and fall off my face with even a light breeze. The concept is cool but they are not functional. I like a heavier, solid feeling pair of glasses that fits snugly on my face. 

• Like 1

Another problem I have with the floating dragons is that with a prescription (mine is very mild) they don't "float". I say they sink slowly. When I got them, I showed a friend how cool they were. I threw them in the lake and watched them slowly sinking. I was able to jump in and save them from the abyss but now I just leave them in the boat as a back up. 

13 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Another problem I have with the floating dragons is that with a prescription (mine is very mild) they don't "float". I say they sink slowly. When I got them, I showed a friend how cool they were. I threw them in the lake and watched them slowly sinking. I was able to jump in and save them from the abyss but now I just leave them in the boat as a back up. 

for safe practices i will relay this short story.

At our lake a kid dove off a boat to chase some oakelys that fell overboard. I guess he couldn't catch up to them and then got too deep to make it back to the surface....sad day

@RedOwl, I would start browsing every snow ski site for end of season discounts.

I've been really happy with my Yum, polarized glasses from Wal-mart. I don't pay more than $20 for sunglasses.

Edited by footndale
14 minutes ago, footndale said:

@RedOwl, I would start browsing every snow ski site for end of season discounts.

I've been really happy with my Yum, polarized glasses from Wal-mart. I don't pay more than $20 for sunglasses.

Good suggestion - thanks!