Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Offset trailer hitch??

LarsJensen

Hi Bu Crew

im picking up a 2006 21' Sunscape on Thursday and trailering 700 miles back home. All components of tandem axle boat mate trailer have been checked and rubber is new. 

My question is this, to ensure even weight distribution, can anyone recommend how much offset on the trailer hitch I should have? My tow vehicle is a 2013 Denali with standard lift.

thanks all

two inch drop should work (as on my old sierra denali, but I concur with 4" drop if you are talking Denali SUV or XL)

whatever it takes for the trailer tongue to be level to slightly down.

(at first I thought you meant off to the side by offset)

Edited by Bozboat
concur with 4" drop for suv
8 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Get yourself a decent adjustable hitch - Andersen. And then you can adjust it perfectly to work with your truck/load.

This!  I switched to an aluminum adjustable drop and replaced 4 with 1.  Little expensive but nice to have one instead of multiple.  It's really nice when you don't know what you are going to need when you get to your new trailer.  

Was that a good hint? :biggrin:

If you don't want to buy an adjustable just buy a 2" drop & a 3.5" drop and take back whichever one you don't use.  You could also call the seller and ask them take a measurement and you could see how it compares to your tow vehicle.  

If it were me, considering the length of your trip and your obvious good sense to try to think things through and eliminate as many unforeseen problems as possible, I'd head to the local auto store and buy a 2", 4" and 6" drop and throw them in the truck.  Use the one you need for the ride home and return the rest after you get back.

Best of luck on your adventure.

Edit:  looks like wedge88 beat me to it.

Edited by RTS
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

I would bet you will want either a 4" or a 6" drop.  2" is not enough.  My Yukon is an 11, boat is a 2014 on a Boat Mate.

If looking at an adjustable, I am of the opinion that the B&W is the best.  https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/B-and-W/BWTS10037B.html

3B6A64EF-BC11-439E-A74F-816C69ABBBCB_zps

b&w will work fine but will rot to bits in our weather unless you take it out when not using and keep paint on it. My Andersen has been hanging off the back of a truck 24x7 since around 2003

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

b&w will work fine but will rot to bits in our weather unless you take it out when not using and keep paint on it. My Andersen has been hanging off the back of a truck 24x7 since around 2003

Great pic thanks for sharing. This thread reminded me of WATERSKI magazine when they always published pics of boat owners and their matching tow vehicles back in the 80s. Haven't subscribed in decades and wonder if they still do it.