Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Head South! Need Advice....

MJR63

New England guy and wife looking to head South to a warmer climate where we could use our Malibu more than 3 months a year.  Looking for waterfront in the $350,000 - $450,000 price range, newer house 2500+ sqft.  Any Crew member suggestions on great places to live on a lake or river in Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Mark

https://www.lakehomesusa.com/waterfront/louisiana/lake-ponchartrain-slidell-covington-mandeville/mls3yd-FANNIEMAE-D1605XK

this is just one of many!!!!!!

i surfed 2 hours yesterday in a 3/2, canucks would have gone in a jacket!!

Go further, suffer the summers and I'm sure at 500000 you could be on a nice river or Lake in Louisiana, the nicer the homes the more crowded weekends( not Lake ponchartrain but that's not really a skiing water unless super light winds) but in Louisiana if you really wanted no crowds on weekends for day on water, load on trailer drive 20-50 minutes  or drive the boat on water 20-30 minutes and you have other connected glass waterways with hardly any boat traffic, year round boating without winterizing almost never, with work at home you would get many midweek days in winter where a 3/2 is more than enough and you can catch those cause you work at home, our no suit season for anyone other than a Canuck or serious northerner runs from  end of March-November with jackets or shorties mud March and maybe mid November.  

No corps of engineers draining of lakes either, only occasionally we lose my poor man's waterway every 6 to 7 years to relieve Mississippi River into Lake Ponchartrain. I just scoot 25-30 minutes further, no problem, there is no river or bayou or canal used for water skiing  that becomes unusable for skiing year round, none!!

And the fishing in our estuary is like none other in US and our creel limits are huge, 25 specked sea trout per person per day per boat so 4 guys 100 trout 12" or more in size, Redfish(red drum)  5 per day 16" or longer including 1 - 28" inch or longer, 5 black drum 16 inch or longer, 10 flounder. All of these are per person per boat per day, it's like crack and very addicting.  And don't need a nice fishing boat, you can hire a guide for a perfect trip that they clean fish for you 5 four hour trips at perfect times of year $2000 and not own any fishing gear or cleaning of boat, or you can fish out of a 16 foot metal flat boat with a 70hp and catch all you want by yourself cheaply, NOTHING LIKE a MIDWEEK fishing trip the rest of us can't take!!

fly to the mountains in summer to cool off on one of the cheapest flights non stop in nation, NO to Denver Southwest non stop for 179-379 almost any time of year, cheap for 3 hour vacation flight  

Edited by granddaddy55

Good ol Charlotte, NC would fall into that price range on several lakes.  Northern portion of Lake Norman, areas of Lake Wylie, Badin/High Rock/Tillery a bit further out but cheaper than Norman.  Coming from a Michigan ex-pat I have to give the area a big thumbs up.  Been here for 17 years now and couldn't imagine moving back up to the cold.  

3 hours ago, MJR63 said:

I'm full time work at home so work is not an issue....I would extend price range into $500,000 or higher for the right house...

In that case, I'd recommend Norris Lake in Tennessee.

Beautiful, huge lake.  The water is very deep and Bahamas blue.  It is a very long lake with cliffs around most of it, keeping the water calm.  You can cruise for several hours and not see the whole lake.  You can get something there in your budget.

Depending on the part of the lake you live in, you could be as close as 30 minutes from the center of Knoxville (or an hour - really depends on where you lives).  If you care about schools, look elsewhere.  If you have a decentn wetsuit, you can get an easy 7 - 8 months of riding.  I've been there in mid-October and it was fine to get in with a cheap wetsuit.  The crazies could probably stretch it a couple more months. 

• Like 2

check the Charlotte area/ Fort Mill SC , Tega Cay SC, Lake Wiley SC .  Great area great people & food . Have spent the last 3 years there finished job up in December back in New Engalnd and hate it . 

Our house is on Lake Gaston.  35 mile long lake, only busy on holiday weekend usually.  Main lake is 35-80' deep and most larger creeks are 15-25' deep.  2 hours from the Outer Banks or Virginia Beach and 1.5 hours from Raleigh for venturing out to do other things.  Also it is right between I-95 and I-85 for travel

On 2/20/2017 at 2:56 AM, asnowman said:

You could get wetsuits and dry suits.... it's much cheaper. 

Fwiw, we we go out at least 6 months a year, and are further north.

agreed...i am also in CT and ride from April-October.  honestly the best water is april-may and after labor day because no one else is on the water.

I love Lake Norman. You could definitely do water access with deeded slip around 500 in most parts... a good compromise as you will get a much nicer house than the WF at the same price. This could get you south on the lake and put you closer to Charlotte. Look at the west side of the lake if you are looking for waterfront bargains and willing to give up some convenience. Exit 31 and up is Iredell county, half the taxes as Mecklenburg, and likely only a quarter of what you pay up north. (This may allow you to stretch budget if you hadn't considered.)

You could get a House in Central Florida for that price on the lake and the Malibu dealer is close by.

If that would be an option I could send you a link to a home I know is in that price range.*no not my home**

On 2/20/2017 at 2:31 PM, Jdubb16 said:

Our house is on Lake Gaston.  35 mile long lake, only busy on holiday weekend usually.  Main lake is 35-80' deep and most larger creeks are 15-25' deep.  2 hours from the Outer Banks or Virginia Beach and 1.5 hours from Raleigh for venturing out to do other things.  Also it is right between I-95 and I-85 for travel

Hows traffic & stuff out there?  I've had a few contractors reach out to me in that neck of the woods, but when I look at the map the areas look so congested I imagine the lakes out there are just as stupid busy as ours on the weekends?  We're still looking at Tulsa but I would like some better options, maybe KY, maybe AR?  I just know I want out of Denver & soon

I've wakeboarded every month since last March except for January. (shorty wetsuit only)

"Say what you want about the South... nobody every talks about retiring and moving up North."

11 hours ago, racer808 said:

Hows traffic & stuff out there?  I've had a few contractors reach out to me in that neck of the woods, but when I look at the map the areas look so congested I imagine the lakes out there are just as stupid busy as ours on the weekends?  We're still looking at Tulsa but I would like some better options, maybe KY, maybe AR?  I just know I want out of Denver & soon

We have been coming to Gaston for 10 years, first 6 we rented a vacation home and the last four we have owned.  I actually believe it is a light all but the three main holiday weekends.  I rarely have a time when I say we need to head in because it it too busty to do something

You can definitely get lakefront for that price in Clermont Florida.  Big Malibu presence here with the Tommys Florida shop located here in Clermont.  Not to mention there are 15 to 20 pro-rdiers (wakeboarders) that live in this area.  Amber Wing and Dean Smith are my neighbors.  I actually rode with Dean 2 times last week.  There are 7 lakes on the Clermont chain, so you can find good water anytime of the day.  I know some great realtors in tha area also.

If you end up in the FL hit me up!

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, Sailvi767 said:

No one moves north to retire!

This is my wife's and my dilemma.  I still like snowmobiling, snow skiing, ice fishing, and other winter sports.  She wants nothing to do with cold. 

21 hours ago, electricjohn said:

This is my wife's and my dilemma.  I still like snowmobiling, snow skiing, ice fishing, and other winter sports.  She wants nothing to do with cold. 

They make airplanes to fly you north where you can enjoy those things.  Living in the zone of an extended boating season has it's advantages.  One being there are no snow shovels to clutter the garage.....

59 minutes ago, dlb said:

They make airplanes to fly you north where you can enjoy those things.  Living in the zone of an extended boating season has it's advantages.  One being there are no snow shovels to clutter the garage.....

I wish this was true. Having lived in TX and AZ years ago, I was still only one of a handful of people who would get out on the boat in the winter.