Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why Malibu Boats?

DaFuzz144

So I am actively shopping used boats. My price range has me in the 2007-2010 range... maybe a little newer if the price is right. 

My friends have a MB Sports 21 Tomcat, 09 Supra 22SSV, so a have a little knowledge on those. 

I have been looking mainly at MC, Nautique, MB Sports, and Supras.  I have decided to avoid Moomba and Axis and rather get an older "name brand" boat

I just ran across a 2013 VRIDE 21 that may be at the top end of my range but it was low hours and newer than other boats I have been looking at ...for example a 09 X15...

Can you guys educate me a bit on Malibu with out necessarily brand bashing, as I know people have differing opinions, however, I just do now know as much about Mailibus. 

Thanks for the time look forward to some great feedback. 

I am sure some others will chime in and explaing the Vride some more, but from my understanding the Vride is basically the older previous version hull with a refreshed interior.  Basically it would be the 05-08 VLX hull but it will have the G3 tower and a few other of the newer things on the interior.  As far as the interior, the Vrides may have plastic cup holder inserts instead of metal, and maybe a few other small items that are different than the Malibu.  

That boat is going to have an awesome wake. It is the 05-08 VLX hull. 

Major differences in this and an older VLX

Interior: Simplified vinyl pattern, lower grade carpet on some (recommend removing for seadek anyway). Ride windshield has two glass pieces instead of one. 

Tower: This is the biggest advantage IMO. The older Illusion isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be as long as you don't get the one with the speakers built in. The accessories are more expensive to mount to the G3 is the only disadvantage I can think of. 

Exterior: Gel lines will be different/more simplified 

Engine: Most Ride series boats have the 320 or 330 horse engine in them. Most vlx have the 340 or 350. 

There's a few extras you will get with a VLX depending on the year. Electronic MUX switches started in 08, Maliview in 09. I think 11 was when the MUX switches were ditched for the touchscreen. There's probably a few more minor things I'm missing but I believe I covered the big ones. Maybe someone else can chime in with stuff I missed. 

Biggest reason to go with Malibu is that you will save on flat bill hats... and you get to be part of the Crew!

:werule:

But seriously, the Malibu wakes are very versatile, somewhat timeless and a good value for the money.  My parents have a 06 VLX the wake is good for wakeboarding (all levels), surfing and generally enjoying time on the water.  Wakes are fairly easy to set up and can be adjusted for each rider's individual tastes.

Its all a matter of personal preference, but the one thing I notice when looking at 2000's era boats is the interior and the dash.  To me, the MC seems to be trendy for the current model year but looks dated after a few years.  Just something to consider.

Sorry for the rambling post.

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming, and more the rambling the better. 

I was reading through another post about 23-24 footers, 

But I don't want something that big, 20-22 ft ideally, and I want to be able to set up surfing without doing anything crazy, figure on some type of suction surf wave, I figured the wakeboard wake will be good enough on any of these boats that I am looking at. 

Feel free to chime on recommendation of boats to look at as well as general Malibu information.  

And being part of the "crew" is a consideration as well, I have learned a lot of good info on Forums through the years depending on what toy I had at the time.  

AND Hunter where at in NW Ohio... I grew up around Defiance, and we go to Hamilton Lake in NE Indiana. 

What is your budget?  That will really help us spend your money wisely. If it were me and I found a 13 ride that I liked, I'd try to find a 2009 or newer VLX.  The old hull is good but the new hull is better and more importantly, wider, which makes it much more roomy. From 2009-2013, each year got a few significant improvements with the exception of 2011-12 which only got minor changes. 

Really really didn't want to go over 45 OTD... so boat would be around 42-43...  I started out looking at around 38k, and upped it once already.. but want reliable, well built boat to last for next 10-12 years till I retire and upgrade again... 

13 minutes ago, DaFuzz144 said:

Really really didn't want to go over 45 OTD... so boat would be around 42-43...  I started out looking at around 38k, and upped it once already.. but want reliable, well built boat to last for next 10-12 years till I retire and upgrade again... 

Hey man, I saw your post on mb forum about the grn/blk tomcat yesterday.  My brother was the one who bought that boat, sorry about that.  I sent it to him like the day it was listed.  Anyways, we were also looking at this one that seems like a pretty good deal.  Unfortunately, it is also in TX.

http://www.texasmalibu.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=4829643

Hope that helps.

48 minutes ago, t a said:

Hey man, I saw your post on mb forum about the grn/blk tomcat yesterday.  My brother was the one who bought that boat, sorry about that.  I sent it to him like the day it was listed.  Anyways, we were also looking at this one that seems like a pretty good deal.  Unfortunately, it is also in TX.

http://www.texasmalibu.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=4829643

Hope that helps.

That 2010 Vride is a nice looking boat... price does not seem to far off, and hours are good, I'll have to add it to the list.  Thanks

13 hours ago, DaFuzz144 said:

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming, and more the rambling the better. 

I was reading through another post about 23-24 footers, 

But I don't want something that big, 20-22 ft ideally, and I want to be able to set up surfing without doing anything crazy, figure on some type of suction surf wave, I figured the wakeboard wake will be good enough on any of these boats that I am looking at. 

Feel free to chime on recommendation of boats to look at as well as general Malibu information.  

And being part of the "crew" is a consideration as well, I have learned a lot of good info on Forums through the years depending on what toy I had at the time.  

AND Hunter where at in NW Ohio... I grew up around Defiance, and we go to Hamilton Lake in NE Indiana. 

Here are a couple in your area...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-malibu-wakesetter-vlx-102884908/

https://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/5983288284.html

Those boats look nice, a little older than I was hoping for that money... is anyone able to compare a bit to this one.

http://www.umotorsinc.com/2008-supra-24ssv-inventory.htm?id=1468961&in-stock=1

I am a little more familiar with the Supras and their options etc.  I guess I need educated on what these Malibus have/ don't have in comparison... thanks for all the help. 

10 hours ago, sonny20 said:

Yeah these boats are slightly older than the 2010 Ride but seem to be cleaner and extremely well kept. They both have the 340 hp instead of the 320 and the 07 has Catalytic converters. With the exception of the G3 tower on the ride the older VLX is the better boat. The tower on these older boats is still a good solid tower if you keep good bushings in it and don't tow tubes from it (not a good idea with any tower).