Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommended Prop for Slalom skiing

LarsJensen

Hi all

im picking up my new (used '06 and 21' long) Sunscape next week. The current owner is a wakeboard enthusiast. I, however, am more focused on slalom skiing. Familiar with props for outboards and IOs but not inboards. 

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!!!!

(Pic below is of current prop)

IMG_0576.JPG

Edited by LarsJensen
Added length of boat
4 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

A picture of the hub is needed in order to see what prop is on there.

Getting make and model from current owner shortly. 

Forgot to add the we also go on endurance foot runs. I would like to maximize top end speed as well. Wakesurfing is not necessarily our forte.......yet. ?

48 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Lars, congrats on your new boat, but an 06 sunscape is not exactly a ski/barefoot boat you understand, right?  Not saying it won't do it, but what are your expectations?

I've skied the diamond hull and the wake is about as good as you can get for a v-drive for slalom skiing and is just about on par with the Nautique SV211. I don't have a budget for a separate pontoon, wakeboard, barefoot, and fishing boat so compromises are expected. 

While the '06 is heavier, if you only plan to run slalom and barefoot, a 381 might be the prop for you.  It's 17.5" which is pretty steep.  It doesn't give you blistering holeshots but will get the job done.  Your boat probably has a 537 on it.  More low-end but less top speed and more RPM at slalom speeds.

We run the 381 on our '01 since it's a 95% slalom tractor.  I've gotten 6 slalom skiers out of the water at once with it, surf with close to 2000 lbs of ballast, pull four-man barefoot lines.  It's not a popular prop for most of the wake crowd but works well for us.

• Like 3

Lars, in general, for slalom you want the smallest diameter and steepest pitch you can that will deliver the performance out of the hole that you need.  

While that general rule applies for footing, if you get too steep, you won't hit the max rpm range you should and too steep a prop won't hit the speed that a more shallow prop will.  

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

While the '06 is heavier, if you only plan to run slalom and barefoot, a 381 might be the prop for you.  It's 17.5" which is pretty steep.  It doesn't give you blistering holeshots but will get the job done.  Your boat probably has a 537 on it.  More low-end but less top speed and more RPM at slalom speeds.

We run the 381 on our '01 since it's a 95% slalom tractor.  I've gotten 6 slalom skiers out of the water at once with it, surf with close to 2000 lbs of ballast, pull four-man barefoot lines.  It's not a popular prop for most of the wake crowd but works well for us.

Thanks UWSkier, the 381 sounds like a good starting place. I've never wakesurfed but will certainly try. Wakeboarding was fun up until I landed on top of the other wake and got a stinger in my knee. No tears or blowouts but it was enough momentary pain that I realized I'm not 18 anymore. My knees are in great shape and don't want to ruin them now at 43. Knees don't perform well under side loads. ?  I'll probably stick to slalom skiing, tricking, footing as I know my limits there. 

Your gravatar looks like my last ski run of the year last fall. Taken on Lake Kegonsa. 

IMG_0865.JPG

I chose an oj 905 since i like to slalom as well as wakeboard. I also enjoy lots of holeshot so i felt this was a good do all prop for me. Tends to rooster tail a bit though but i cant remember what the 537 did that i took off it. 

I use a 381 as well on my '01 vlx. It does very well for slalom and boarding. I don't surf, but if I'm loaded with heavy people I do notice it's a bit more sluggish to get up and plane for crusing. Give it a little more throttle to ski and it gets it done. I do have a 537 backup but haven't used it much at all.

Edited by jrvs23